Candidate Referral Service Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Candidate Referral Service

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Tue May 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Do you recommend signing up for CRS services. Basically it send your info to law schools for those who dont know. Is it worthwhile or will you just get tons of crappy emails.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Candidate Referral Service

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 pm

You will get tons of crappy emails. You will also get application fee waivers to schools according to your LSAT score. They're $50-100 a pop.

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I got a 173 on my lsats would you recommend doing it in late august before applying then you get the weaver and can turn it off after applying to stop getting emails

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm

You might miss the weaver if the school decides to send out theyre weavers earlier

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

I would turn it on now. If you already have your score, I don't know when/if the schools will get your email to send you waivers. You wouldn't want to miss them.

And I never bothered to turn it off, so I don't know if that stops the emails.

I applied last year and I'm still getting pleas from shitty schools like Regent and Concorde to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue May 22, 2012 6:46 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:I got a 173 on my lsats would you recommend doing it in late august before applying then you get the weaver and can turn it off after applying to stop getting emails
Personally I would just suck it up and accept the junk emails, just delete anything from any school you're not interested in. How many $75-$100 fee waivers would it take for you to feel like your time deleting the emails (which is pretty negligible) was time well spent?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm

It's definitely worth the crappy BS in order to get the waivers. I got fee waivers at many of the schools I was already applying to.

I also got about 5 or 6 postcards and several emails from Liberty, the most recent starting with an epigraph:

"Dear Mr. BVest, Robert Frost wrote of a traveler, 'Two roads diverged in a yellow wood…' You too stand at the crossroads of an equally important decision. As you evaluate law schools, I encourage you to keep your ultimate goal in mind. Why attend a law school that will only teach you to pass the bar when you could attend a law school that will also provide the tools for a long and successful career?"

A) I hate epigraphs. I think they're lazy and show a significant lack of creativity or experience in writing. Those of you who are thinking of using an epigraph for your personal statement, don't. They want to know what you have to say, not Robert Frost. (Though apparently it would work for people in Liberty's admissions office.)

B) Is there a more often abused epigraph than The Road Not Taken? Good grief. They didn't even come back to the metaphor to tell me I should take the one less traveled by. If they only wanted to convey that I stood at a crossroads, they could have quoted a blues song.

Not that I have much in common with Liberty anyway, but seriously?

[/hijack rant]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Only reason I even applied to the school that I will be attending (NU) is because they sent me an unexpected fee waiver

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue May 22, 2012 9:51 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:Only reason I even applied to the school that I will be attending (NU) is because they sent me an unexpected fee waiver
+1

Same (even same school)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Kikero wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:Only reason I even applied to the school that I will be attending (NU) is because they sent me an unexpected fee waiver
+1

Same (even same school)
Me three (same school too)

xkcd09

New

Post by xkcd09 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:07 pm

After you sign up for CRS, 90% of the emails will be spam and 10% will be useful (as in, fee waivers from schools you would consider attending). But that 10% is worth the inbox space that the 90% takes up.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 am

CRS is definitely worth it. Yeah, there's tons of worthless emails from schools you've never heard of, but you could also get fee waivers to schools you'd already be applying to. I saved a couple hundred bucks and all three of the schools I ended up choosing between in the end were ones that I got fee waivers from (and I might not have considered them if it weren't for the waivers).

I was wary of the idea at first because I've seen similar things for undergrad that were useless, but I'm glad I signed up for it.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 pm

I signed up for CRS after reading this. I hadn't before because I wanted to avoid spam, and I thought only TTTT schools would send fee-waivers through it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Where the weavers at?

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Wed May 23, 2012 3:55 pm

173 means the T-14 (minus HYS) will let you apply for free. That is saving a ton of money. Worth deleting email from Hamline or Roger Williams. Plus you can unsubscribe from individual schools after they send you the first letter.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed May 23, 2012 4:09 pm

nkp007 wrote:Where the weavers at?
No school ever sent me a weaver. I could use some new sheets or maybe a nice rug for my living room.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:21 pm

R86 wrote:You might miss the weaver if the school decides to send out theyre weavers earlier

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed May 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Do you have to show interest in a school to get a free waiter offer? (like check a box) or do they just send them out to all certain scores and up? What score is that normally?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Br3v wrote:Do you have to show interest in a school to get a free waiter offer? (like check a box) or do they just send them out to all certain scores and up? What score is that normally?
They don't have a selection of certain schools. They do ask what states (max 15) and provinces (max 5) you're interested in. But I got one waiver outside of that list.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Specifically I recall reading about Duke having some free waiver and quick turn around program if you get a certain score. Anyone have any experience with that?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Br3v wrote:Specifically I recall reading about Duke having some free waiver and quick turn around program if you get a certain score. Anyone have any experience with that?
Yeah, they have what is called a "Priority Track" where they will give you a decision within 10 days of receiving your application. However, one of the "decisions" you can get from that is to be basically put back in with the regular decisions. Or you can get put on their "Priority Reserve" list which is supposed to be a step up from the waitlist. I got put on Priority Reserve and then pulled out around the beginning of March, so I don't know if it actually has better odds than a regular waitlist or not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed May 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed May 23, 2012 6:00 pm

rebexness wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
nkp007 wrote:Where the weavers at?
No school ever sent me a weaver. I could use some new sheets or maybe a nice rug for my living room.
+180
Nice curve?

But thanks for the insight Kikero

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”