University of Akron School of Law a Solid Regional School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

University of Akron School of Law a Solid Regional School?

Post by bdm261 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I live in Akron, Ohio and I've been here for nearly all of my life. I currently attend Akron as an undergrad and I am considering their law school as well as Cleveland State if I am to stay in this area post-graduation. My parents, my boss who is a lawyer, and a couple of undergrad professors are advising me to stay in Akron and attend Akron for law school. Does anyone have more insight into this school and if it places well in the Akron area and maybe NE Ohio?

My grandfather practiced law in Akron for 50+ years, my uncle has been practicing for 20+ years, owns his own firm, and is pretty well known around here as an attorney. In fact whenever someone sees my last name, it's not uncommon if they ask if we're related because he was just quoted in the paper or something. Not to brag but my family's last name sort of means "lawyer" around here. At family dinners it was pretty common to have a local judge or two in attendance and they know my family and I well. Having said all that, is it likely that if I stay in Akron and receive an Akron degree, does it sound like I have strong and sufficient enough ties that I'll have a good shot at employment and being successful around my hometown? Ideally I wanted to move to the East of West Coast, but I am starting to realize it might be in my best interest to stick around close to home.

I like the idea of Akron because I can stay in my current house, which my parents own although they don't live there, and will be in debt $60,000 max at the end of my education since Akron's tuition is low for in-state residents. Also I have no monthly expenses besides food and my credit card payment, so even if I don't have a job right away, I can afford student loan payments through mediocre temp work.

My goal is to start as a public defender and eventually join or start my own criminal defense firm. If I make only $40,000 for the first few years out of law school I can live with that. I plan on taking part in programs such as inmate assistance and legal aid internships during the summer in LS.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: University of Akron School of Law a Solid Regional School?

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:34 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... Bd3c&gid=6

Take a look at how Akron places into jobs. ~20% of their class of 2010 got full-time jobs in firms of 50+, government, public interest, or federal clerkships. So in general, no, Akron is not a very good choice. However, in your situation, maybe it is a good one. You can graduate with low debt by living at home, you have a strong family name in Akron (or so it sounds), and hopefully you can use those family connections to help yourself land a job.

Why would you have 60k in debt though? Why not retake, get a few points on the LSAT, and then go for free?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 pm

If you want to stay in Akron going to Akron is probably okay because of your family ties (but not great because it's still Akron and its placement is terrible).

If you think there's a chance you want to leave Akron after law school, going to Akron is probably a terrible idea.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 pm

If your total student loan debt will be $60,000, then go for it. I think that is certainly reasonable. I also like the idea of retaking and getting a larger scholarship to Akron too. Limiting your total loans is the smartest thing to do in this economy. It blows my mind when people go to Tier 1 schools with 200k in debt and just think LRAP will help them.

However, the bottom line is that expenses add up very fast in law school. Tuition increases sometimes almost 2k a year. Then the bar review course is about 3k (maybe 4k when you are graduating). Also keep in mind that any federal direct loans you receive will be unsubsidized from this point on, as the government has done away with subsidized loans. I personally think in-state at Akron is a good idea at under 60k is a reasonable choice.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 pm

I think that's totally a reasonable plan if you think your connections will help you land a job. That said, as romo noted, just a few extra points on the LSAT might give you enough scholarship to go for free, which would be a great deal in your situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Why not just go to Case? Just about anyone in in Ohio will tell you Case>>>anything except OSU

Artistry

New

Post by Artistry » Tue May 01, 2012 2:01 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Why not just go to Case? Just about anyone in in Ohio will tell you Case>>>anything except OSU
Including Cincinnati?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 01, 2012 2:36 am

Artistry wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Why not just go to Case? Just about anyone in in Ohio will tell you Case>>>anything except OSU
Including Cincinnati?
Cinci and Case are peers for sure.

OP, retake and get in akron for free or a better school in Ohio.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 01, 2012 2:47 am

I have to disagree. The reason you go to a better school is to have better job prospects. Assuming OP is as well-connected in Akron as he says he is and can get a job like it sounds like he probably can, why would he pay more money to go to another school? OP is from Akron, can live at home, it is going to be lower in tuition, and it sounds like he can get a job either way. Why even look elsewhere?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the info, as much as I dreamed of moving to NYC or LA it seems much more realistic that I'd be better off staying in my hometown.

Also, I mentioned this in another thread, but I received 3 F's and 1 D during my first attempt at college at age 18 when I attended a community college for about a month and quit without withdrawing, never thinking it would ever matter and I would ever even have to report those grades since I technically just quit going 25% into the semester. I enrolled at Akron a year later thinking I had a clean slate and it was like I had never been to college previously. Although it's taken me much longer than the 4-year track, due to a 2 year break when I lived overseas, I am doing very well as an Akron student.

Unfortunately, LSAC requires me to report all grades, and even though I don't think the CC should be counted, since I only got F's because I didn't attend, do assignments, and take tests; not because of my academic ability or lack thereof. If they looked at the actual work I did in the CC, they'd see I received A's and B's on the assignments and tests I actually completed, however since I missed the majority of class I failed out from quittng. Basically I was doing poorly in a math class, stopped going to it without withdrawing, and then eventually just stopped going altogether even though I probably would have finished with a B average in my other classes had I kept going at it. The school will not let me retroactively withdraw so my stupid mistake almost 10 years ago, which in no way reflects on my ability to excel in higher education, has tarnished my LSAC GPA.

I have a 3.59 at Akron and will graduate cum laude, I make the Dean's list every semester, although my LSAC GPA is 3.17. Will Akron Law School give more weight to my GPA at Akron than my overall LSAC GPA since it's the same parent university?

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I will in June and will probably retake in October. My highest PT out of the 5 or 6 I've taken is 152, which will probably get me into Akron at least part-time but I don't plan to settle for that.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Tue May 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Nova wrote:
Artistry wrote:
Including Cincinnati?
Cinci and Case are peers for sure.

OP, retake and get in akron for free or a better school in Ohio.
Case will have a definite leg up on UC in NE Ohio, where OP is from.

Romo's advice sounds solid, although I with a good retake you should be able to get a scholarship to Case which would leave you in a lot better position if you ever want to work for someone other than your family.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 01, 2012 6:01 pm

bdm261 wrote: I have a 3.59 at Akron and will graduate cum laude, I make the Dean's list every semester, although my LSAC GPA is 3.17. Will Akron Law School give more weight to my GPA at Akron than my overall LSAC GPA since it's the same parent university?

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I will in June and will probably retake in October. My highest PT out of the 5 or 6 I've taken is 152, which will probably get me into Akron at least part-time but I don't plan to settle for that.
Akron Law will likely look favorably on your Akron GPA (Tie breaker status), but in the end 3.17 is what they report to USNEWS.

You have not come close to maximizing your score. I think getting into Case is still on the table, and would be a good alternative. Keep studying, so If you do end up choosing Akron over Case, it will be with a fat scholly.

ams212

New

Post by ams212 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:08 pm

I just posted on here as an Akron student and then saw this Zips ftw lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 pm

No no no. I am from Ohio (attend law school elsewhere tho) and would never recommend someone attends Case, unless $ was not an issue or full-ride. It is so brutally expensive and will not place you anywhere outside of Ohio/PA. CSU is far and away a better option than Case. It is way cheaper and I don't think puts you at any disadvantage relative to Case for Ohio/Cleveland big firms, at both you need to be top 5% to get an interview - so why pay an extra 40k/year?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm

OP: Akron is a great choice based on your family situation, career goals & numbers.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed May 02, 2012 4:06 pm

OP: Just a little anecdotal story. I think if you want to stay in Akron, you're making the right choice. But be sure to do everything possible to limit your debt load.

Was out at restaurant with my partner, celebrating getting into my top choice law school. The waiter asked what we were celebrating, I told him. He also then informed me he had just graduated from Akron. He then said, "Be prepared for 1/3 of your class to drop out or flunk out and to not have a job in 3 years," and walked away.

:shock:

I gave him a good tip because I felt insanely guilty.

My one and only interaction with anyone from Akron's law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Could be eerily relevant if OP's "family dinners" were at his family's restaurant. :D

P.S. I wonder if the waiter earned more than T-14 grads doing $15 per hour doc review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Wed May 02, 2012 6:09 pm

catholicgirl wrote:OP: Just a little anecdotal story. I think if you want to stay in Akron, you're making the right choice. But be sure to do everything possible to limit your debt load.

Was out at restaurant with my partner, celebrating getting into my top choice law school. The waiter asked what we were celebrating, I told him. He also then informed me he had just graduated from Akron. He then said, "Be prepared for 1/3 of your class to drop out or flunk out and to not have a job in 3 years," and walked away.

:shock:

I gave him a good tip because I felt insanely guilty.

My one and only interaction with anyone from Akron's law school.
You gave a rude guy like that a "good tip?" Sounds like his lack of employment is due at least partially to his inability to know when to not say something inappropriate.

OP, keep working with that LSAT score. My advice would be to practice logic games until you get -0 to -2 every game. Then go to the cheapest, most reasonable school, which seems to be Akron.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Could be eerily relevant if OP's "family dinners" were at his family's restaurant. :D

P.S. I wonder if the waiter earned more than T-14 grads doing $15 per hour doc review.
Right? Lovely field we're entering.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”