What is the best dog for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mattviphky

Silver

Re: What is the best dog for law school?

Post by mattviphky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm

My ex and I had a pug together, and he was awesome. Very adorable and affectionate. Unfortunately, he could also be too affectionate, and would sometimes scratch too much and too hard. But he had a face that was hard to resist. He was a big reason it took me so long to break up with my gf. My family also has a lab. I would have to say that the lab is probably the most well behaved dog. My family has had 2, and they are amazing dogs. They are pretty plain looking, but they are great.

pixleprincess

New

Post by pixleprincess » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Consider adopting from a group that places dogs in foster homes before permanent placement. Aside from being cheaper than petshop puppies, you are helping an abandoned soul find a family and you're not supporting puppy mills... But also foster parents can report on pup's temperament and how compatible she'll be to your lifestyle.

I'd avoid terriers who are highly excitable and like to hunt. Dacshounds and beagles are major barkers. Anything with some lab or retriever, poodle, pug, bulldog, spaniel in it may be more chilled out. Mixed-breeds are actually more adaptable than purebreds and less prone to genetically linked diseases.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 pm

pixleprincess wrote:Consider adopting from a group that places dogs in foster homes before permanent placement. Aside from being cheaper than petshop puppies, you are helping an abandoned soul find a family and you're not supporting puppy mills... But also foster parents can report on pup's temperament and how compatible she'll be to your lifestyle.

I'd avoid terriers who are highly excitable and like to hunt. Dacshounds and beagles are major barkers. Anything with some lab or retriever, poodle, pug, bulldog, spaniel in it may be more chilled out. Mixed-breeds are actually more adaptable than purebreds and less prone to genetically linked diseases.
Not only that, but you can foster a dog first, and then decide to adopt later, kind of like try before you buy.

My Coyote came like that

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm

pixleprincess wrote:Consider adopting from a group that places dogs in foster homes before permanent placement. Aside from being cheaper than petshop puppies, you are helping an abandoned soul find a family and you're not supporting puppy mills... But also foster parents can report on pup's temperament and how compatible she'll be to your lifestyle.

I'd avoid terriers who are highly excitable and like to hunt. Dacshounds and beagles are major barkers. Anything with some lab or retriever, poodle, pug, bulldog, spaniel in it may be more chilled out. Mixed-breeds are actually more adaptable than poorly bred (ie backyard breeders and petstore dogs)purebreds and less prone to genetically linked diseases.
Definitely agree with most of this, but added something.
dingbat wrote: Not only that, but you can foster a dog first, and then decide to adopt later, kind of like try before you buy.

My Coyote came like that
I've fostered for a few different groups and it's fun and rewarding, and can be trying at times. But it's nice because as dingbat mentioned, you can find a perfect fit for you and in the mean time help other dogs too.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:47 pm

With Coyote I always knew I was going to adopt him. Since then I've fostered another 15 or so dogs.

The other advantage is cost. The foster organization may pick up some of the bills (I never accepted anything other than vet bills)
Not only that, if you foster, your expenses (including dog food) may be tax deductible

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tedler

Gold

Post by tedler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 am

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 am

grey wolf

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:24 pm

DoctorShawHi wrote:grey wolf
How about half-wolf?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm

dingbat wrote:
DoctorShawHi wrote:grey wolf
How about half-wolf?
[img]img[/img]
Surprised no one has said direwolf.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”