What is the best dog for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
roaringeagle

Bronze

What is the best dog for law school?

Post by roaringeagle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm

I want to adopt a nice young dog for law school but I need a calmer breed. If you have dog in law school, what breed is it? Would you recommend your breed for law school?

FryBreadPower

Silver

Re: What is the best dog for law school?

Post by FryBreadPower » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 pm

--ImageRemoved--

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:30 pm

My fiancé and I own a zuchon and she is wonderful! No shedding, small, and very easy to take care of. I would recommend that type. I should mention they are typically kind of pricey but we got her for a very good deal.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Therapy dog.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Hmmm...I did not think anyone else would post on this topic. It seems that Greyhounds, pugs and French bulldogs are popular calmer dogs. Personally I want a mastiff. They are so gorgeous.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Hmmm...I did not think anyone else would post on this topic. It seems that Greyhounds, pugs and French bulldogs are popular calmer dogs. Personally I want a mastiff. They are so gorgeous.
IMO, bigger dogs are going to be harder to take care of while in school. And idk anything about the French bulldog, but I know people who own bulldogs who have to take out health insurance for their dog because of the health problems these types have. Bulldogs can be very expensive from a health standpoint. I have heard pugs have health issues as well.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 am

Boxers and tibetan terriers are both great, calm, easy-to-take-care-of breeds.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Maybe a spaniel or even a basset. Really depends on you though. There are lots of "which dog for me" sites and books out there that are probably a lot more studied than even crowdsourcing, given that the crowd is made up of people with direct experience with only a few breeds of dogs.

I will say that a lot of the common health problems in dogs (breathing, skin, hip) tend to be the direct result of years of inbreeding found in purebreds. There's a lot to be said for a lovable mutt.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:47 pm

An adult one.

(do not get a puppy unless someone else will be the primary caretaker...)

Prospecta8571

New

Post by Prospecta8571 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 pm

I have a 35 lb ACD rescue and he is lovely. ACDs have a bit of energy, so you will need to go running, etc., every day if you get a dog like this. Honestly this works in your favor as far as maintaining sanity in school. If you want a bigger dog and will be in an apartment, get a Greyhound; They are as calm as can be and require little exercise. Definitely get a dog that is at least a couple of years old, otherwise you will hate yourself.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:Hmmm...I did not think anyone else would post on this topic. It seems that Greyhounds, pugs and French bulldogs are popular calmer dogs. Personally I want a mastiff. They are so gorgeous.
IMO, bigger dogs are going to be harder to take care of while in school. And idk anything about the French bulldog, but I know people who own bulldogs who have to take out health insurance for their dog because of the health problems these types have. Bulldogs can be very expensive from a health standpoint. I have heard pugs have health issues as well.
I'd recommend health insurance for your dog, no matter what. If your dog gets sick and the vet says its $5k or your dog dies, I'd hate to have to cough up such a large chunk and is hate it even more if one of my boys got sick and I couldn't afford the cure.

One of my dogs has been sick often enough and severe enough that I've earned otter the insurance premium back several times over.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:18 pm

BVest wrote: I will say that a lot of the common health problems in dogs (breathing, skin, hip) tend to be the direct result of years of inbreeding found in purebreds. There's a lot to be said for a lovable mutt.
Puppy mills....

Don't buys dog from a pet store. Either find a reputable breeder or a rescue

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:52 pm

The Cavapoo. Half poodle half cavalier spaniel.... Seriously, he is smart like a poodle and was house trained in three days. But has the cav's loving personality, almost never barks, can go twelve hours between potty breaks and MORE if it is raining as he does not like rain. No shedding and you skip the health issues inherent in many pure breeds because they are really just a planned mutt......

--ImageRemoved--

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 pm

French bulldogs. Mine wants to get crazy for 15 minutes when I get home and then he sleeps next to me while I do my reading.

They are awesome dogs.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Newfy

IMO big/medium/not small dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>small dogs

Most non-small dogs require lots of work. A newfy will be content sitting around all day watching you read.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 pm

drmguy wrote:Newfy

Most non-small dogs require lots of work. A newfy will be content sitting around all day watching you read.
Some big dogs are couch potatoes (Ridgeback), but others need a lot of time and energy (Labrador).
Some small dogs are basically living lapwarmers (e.g. Papillion) while there are small dogs that need a large space and lots of attention (e.g. a jack russel)

Just read the history of the breed before making a final decision.
Or get a mutt. There are rescues that can match a dog to your requirements (if the dog has been fostered, the foster should be able to accurately describe his/her personality)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:47 am

Therapy dog... A therapy dog are gentle, calm nature. Do not confuse this with slowness or inactivity. Small dogs often move quickly, wag their tails with great gusto and yet they have a very gentle touch and stand or sit quietly to be petted or hugged.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Pug all the way. If you can deal with snoring...

I have a 3 year old pug and she's the easiest thing to take care of. She can go without a walk for awhile (I've never purposefully tested that, it had just unfortunately happened some times), she'll play fetch for about 5 minutes and then she's good, and the most annoying thing she does is insist on sitting on my lap from time to time. She does shed like crazy though. Oh, and I found her on Craig's List :-) FO FREE

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 pm

dingbat wrote:
drmguy wrote:Newfy

Some big dogs are couch potatoes (Ridgeback), but others need a lot of time and energy (Labrador).
Some small dogs are basically living lapwarmers (e.g. Papillion) while there are small dogs that need a large space and lots of attention (e.g. a jack russel)

Just read the history of the breed before making a final decision.
Or get a mutt. There are rescues that can match a dog to your requirements (if the dog has been fostered, the foster should be able to accurately describe his/her personality)
My sister has a German Shepard and it drives me absolutely nuts it's so high energy. On the other hand, fiancé has a very small zuchon that is the calmest, most loving, and easiest dog to take care of I have ever been around. So, yeah I think it definitely depends on what breed of big and what breed of small dog we are talking about.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:02 pm

I would suggest a cat.

Kidding aside, dont get a puppy and find something low maintenance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 pm

If you can, find an older dog.

I've had many dogs, so I can tell you: puppies are crazy.

Seriously. Crazy. You will not have time to properly and fairly take care of them.

If you can find an old Labrador, you're in luck. They're amazing. Look for one 3+ years.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14 pm

ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:If you can, find an older dog.

I've had many dogs, so I can tell you: puppies are crazy.

Seriously. Crazy. You will not have time to properly and fairly take care of them.

If you can find an old Labrador, you're in luck. They're amazing. Look for one 3+ years.
I will never have a labrador again
They're good dogs, but not without downside

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Many breeds have a pretty good range of energy levels. I have a German shepherd- even at 6 1/2 years old, he requires a good amount of exercise and a lot of attention, mental exercise, and socializing. I'd say he's somewhere in the middle of the range of activity level for a GSD. They also shed a ton.

I would definitely opt for an adult rescue. If you go to a rescue org, the dogs are most likely in foster homes so they know their personalities really well (also probably housebroken, have some training, etc) and can match you to a dog. Many times you can also do a trial take home/sleepover. If you decide on a certain breed (I think Greyhound as mentioned earlier is a great choice) there are breed-specific rescues for every breed out there and they too can help match you to a certain dog (they can sometimes be funny about adopting out to a student who rents though-I would give them your plan for the dog upfront- and ensure them that they will get exercise and you wouldn't dump them if you had to move, etc).

There are also a lot of other considerations- money being a big one- vet care, flea/heartworm protection, a good quality food, treats, training, toys, etc. Also, you may be limited in where you can live with a dog, especially large dogs and certain breeds, so make sure the place allows dogs of that size/breed before you get the dog.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:03 pm

So you look like a boss.

also, they eventually just sit around snoring all day

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”