C&F Question - Tricky Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
T the D

New

C&F Question - Tricky

Post by T the D » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:34 pm

It is time to send in my deposit and start my journey to the JD. I am worried about my job before the one I've had for the past year. I was an independent contractor doing something completely legal by state laws, but illegal under federal law and the laws of the state I am about to register for (you get one guess what it was).

On my law school app I listed it as web design/product development for holistic care company (which is what it started out as), but it eventually evolved into something more involved...but I was still an independent contractor...so...will all this get dug up on the C&F? Is calling it "holistic care" covering it up or disclosing it? Is it considered a crime b/c in other states it would have been? WTF?

Has this ever been addressed before?

goldeneye

Silver

Re: C&F Question - Tricky

Post by goldeneye » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

T the D wrote:It is time to send in my deposit and start my journey to the JD. I am worried about my job before the one I've had for the past year. I was an independent contractor doing something completely legal by state laws, but illegal under federal law and the laws of the state I am about to register for (you get one guess what it was).

On my law school app I listed it as web design/product development for holistic care company (which is what it started out as), but it eventually evolved into something more involved...but I was still an independent contractor...so...will all this get dug up on the C&F? Is calling it "holistic care" covering it up or disclosing it? Is it considered a crime b/c in other states it would have been? WTF?

so you were a weed grower in california or dispenser. you should call the state bar and ask.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:39 pm

T the D wrote:It is time to send in my deposit and start my journey to the JD. I am worried about my job before the one I've had for the past year. I was an independent contractor doing something completely legal by state laws, but illegal under federal law and the laws of the state I am about to register for (you get one guess what it was).

edit: scooped

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm

CandF app sections ask for things you have been charged/convicted of - some ask for any encounter with law enforcement - To my knowledge, none ask for comprehensive lists of all the illegal activity you have done. Therefore, if you never had a legal encounter - "is it considered a crime b/c in other states it would have been" - is irrelevant.

If the application specifically asks if you have ever violated federal law, and you answered no, then it would be a CandF issue.

You are obviously being a bit disingenuous calling your employer a "holistic care company" but so are all the people applying with exaggerated fraternity positions on their resume. Have you blatantly lied? Have you been forthcoming in your answers to the specific questions on the character and fitness portion of the application? these are relevant questions when evaluating CandF issues in this instance.

-One issue I believe you should contact a CandF lawyer (in the state you will be attending school/potentially sitting for bar) - is if working in the medical marijuana industry in your capacity would prevent you from sitting for the bar exam. Rules governing bar admittance are different from state to state.

T the D

New

Post by T the D » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:55 pm

If I contact the bar in the state I am applying - do they keep track of who call and asks what? IOW- by asking the question am I disclosing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Do not contact the bar. Contact a lawyer in the state you will be attending, that specializes in character and fitness.
Last edited by nucky thompson on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm

T the D wrote:If I contact the bar in the state I am applying - do they keep track of who call and asks what? IOW- by asking the question am I disclosing?
Block your number. You'll get a generic non-answer anyways.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
T the D wrote:If I contact the bar in the state I am applying - do they keep track of who call and asks what? IOW- by asking the question am I disclosing?
Block your number. You'll get a generic non-answer anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”