Law school and parenthood... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TyrionLannister

Bronze

Law school and parenthood...

Post by TyrionLannister » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 am

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before. As one can tell by my post count, I am a newbie.

I am currently 12 years deep in a career in the entertainment field. For a variety of factors, I am intending on making a career change into the legal field. I will be taking the June LSAT and hopefully begin school next year. I am married and have two kids - currently 4 years and 1.5 years old.

I was wondering if there is anyone else on these boards with kids who are planning on attending/currently attending/ or did attend law school. What have your experiences been like? Any advice to someone about to jump in?

My wife is very supportive and this move is as much for my family's well being as it is for mine. I know that time will be scarce, workloads will be heavy, and things will be rough during the first year especially. Having the benefit of maturity, I am not one to kid myself into thinking that this is an easy move. In order to give my children a more secure and stable future, however, it is a necessary move.

I would just love to hear from someone who has been there before...

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to share their advice. :D

KMaine

Silver

!!

Post by KMaine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 am

3L at Cornell here. Married with 3 children. PM me if you have any particular questions. In general, the work load of LS is a little overhyped. 1L is particularly difficult, but I still managed dinner with the family 95% of the time. The good news is that the work is very flexible; so you can work your life around it pretty easily. It seems like I was about your age when I started. Good luck. Kill the LSAT!

Oklahoma2014

New

Re: Law school and parenthood...

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:34 am

My situation is somewhat similar; married with 3 kids and starting law school in the fall. Although, my children are a little older than yours. Oldest is of driving age, yes we started young.....that's why I am just now going to law school. The 2nd will be driving in a year. I also did like you, asked a few present and former law school students who went through the process while also having a family. Two of my greater concerns prior to starting this journey were making sure financially we could live off my wife's income for 3 years (a legal career may not pay much but very thankful that the medical field does!) and choosing a law school where we have plenty of family support.

Those were high priorities for me, but they may not be for you. One thing I've learned in this process is that law school decisions are very unique to your situation, and even more so when you have a family to consider. The idea of top 14 or bust just doesn't apply to me. Even if I could get into one of those schools (which I can't), we simply wouldn't move that far from where we are now to attend law school.

An area that I wish I had taken more into consideration was LSAT preperation. Although my final number was dismal compared to those on this site (seems the entire top 3% of the LSAT must be posting on this board), it was still much higher than my original goal. However, had I taken it seriously sooner, I believe I could have achieved that "elite" status that's common on TLS.

Anyway, good luck!

You might also keep up with this thread regarding "over 30" http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=143047

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am

Oklahoma2014 wrote:
An area that I wish I had taken more into consideration was LSAT preperation. Although my final number was dismal compared to those on this site (seems the entire top 3% of the LSAT must be posting on this board), it was still much higher than my original goal. However, had I taken it seriously sooner, I believe I could have achieved that "elite" status that's common on TLS.

Anyway, good luck!

You might also keep up with this thread regarding "over 30" http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=143047
THAT!

I had no idea people spent 100s of hours studying for the thing. I figured I did the top 2% on the ACT and would be fine without a lot of prep. I was WRONG! Now I may retake and try next cycle..... (Depends if I hit one a hail marry pass on a few choices that work for my long term goals.)

Beyond that I am taking my wife and kids into major consideration in the areas I have applied to LS and financial issues such as LS with no additional debt matter to me.

JC

TyrionLannister

Bronze

Post by TyrionLannister » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Thank you so much to those who found this post! It's nice to find that I'm not the only brave soul set on adding to the already demanding workload of raising children. That over 30 forum is fantastic. I have found that my life experience and age definitely provides for differing prospectives than those of the 20-somethings on this board. That is not meant to invalidate their outlooks or ideals, far from it. I think we of the over 30 crowd just see things differently.

Thanks for the good wishes on the LSAT! I pulled a diagnostic 163 the other day, but am hoping to raise that to a 170+ in order that alleviate that dreaded financial burden with possible scholarships. I live 5 minutes from a T2 (Pepperdine) and would seriously consider that over UCLA or USC due to the simple fact that the proximity would allow for more precious study time and maximized family time. A happier home would make for a happier law student. A little $$$ from them would be the kicker and is the current goal. All hypothetical until the LSAT score comes in, of course. It is pretty insane the hours that people pull prepping. I am insanely jealous! Ah, the free time that youth provides! :D

I absolutely will take up the offer of PMing! Thanks!

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm married but without kids, but you're not alone. A friend in my section is in his 30's and with a small kid. They make it work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”