Scholarships and Waitlists At Other Schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tadlbb

Bronze

Scholarships and Waitlists At Other Schools

Post by tadlbb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:27 am

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I couldn't seem to find it and I looked back a few pages. I was awarded scholarships at a few schools, but am on the waitlist at others. There is a deadline for accepting scholarships that is before I expect to hear back about the waitlists. If I accept the scholarship money am I bound to that school? Or can I accept the scholarship and go to another school if I get off the waitlist?

vpintz

Silver

Re: Scholarships and Waitlists At Other Schools

Post by vpintz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 am

It probably depends on the school...I'd recommend calling the school(s)'s admissions/financial aid departments. Sorry I couldn't help more!

tadlbb

Bronze

Post by tadlbb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:44 am

All good! I appreciate the reply. I figured that's what I'd have to do, it's just sort of an awkward conversation to have haha.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 am

tadlbb wrote:All good! I appreciate the reply. I figured that's what I'd have to do, it's just sort of an awkward conversation to have haha.
I understand completely. Hopefully everything works out for you!

asanborn

New

Post by asanborn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 am

tadlbb wrote:I apologize if this has been asked already, but I couldn't seem to find it and I looked back a few pages. I was awarded scholarships at a few schools, but am on the waitlist at others. There is a deadline for accepting scholarships that is before I expect to hear back about the waitlists. If I accept the scholarship money am I bound to that school? Or can I accept the scholarship and go to another school if I get off the waitlist?
I was in a similar situation with a few of the schools I was accepted to. I simply sent out an email to both of the schools' Dean of Admissions explaining that with deadlines rapidly approaching for decisions I wanted to make sure that I understood the stipulations for accepting scholarship money at their school (i.e. withdraw all other applicaitions, etc.). Both of them called me back the same day and explained exactly what would be asked of me and it was incredibly helpful. Neither one of them seemed to view it as an awkward conversation and seemed to be pleased that I even took the time to ask. So basically it just comes down to carefully reading whatever they sent you explaining the scholarship to see if you are locked in at a school and then contacting the school to find out exactly what you are being asked to commit to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”