Best pre-law work experience Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
piney

New

Best pre-law work experience

Post by piney » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm 26, male, and currently work as a cataloger at an academic library. I have a MA in history, and my past experience includes a year as an art cataloger at a university, some basic office clerical work, and two college summers interning in the mailroom at a law firm. I plan to apply to law school this fall.

Since I have another 18 months before I start, I want to find work that will give me some legal experience before going to law school and also look good on my CV when I start to apply. What would be the best option, given my limited professional experience? Would a legal staffing agency be any help? Thanks in advance.

toliveNdieNLA

New

Re: Best pre-law work experience

Post by toliveNdieNLA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 am

Effective studying for the LSAT= Best pre-law experience for someone out of undergrad.

I kid you not. I heard through the grapevine that test alone shuts and closes doors for prospective law school applicants.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 pm

toliveNdieNLA wrote:I heard through the grapevine that test alone shuts and closes doors for prospective law school applicants.
Lol?

OP: Without having much info in your post, your priorities seem a bit off. Don't worry about legal education before law school, there are much much more important things that are within your control that will make the difference.

LSAT --> GPA ----> Personal Statement --------------------------------> Softs (inc. work experience)

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 pm

I agree with Splitbrain.

Also, secure your letters of recommendation now. That's one thing I wish I had done earlier in my cycle.

piney

New

Post by piney » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm already working on the LSATs. This is more about getting useful work experience for the next 18 months, not really the application. I don't want to continue with my current job if there's something I can do that will help me when I'm a lawyer later on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 pm

piney wrote:I'm already working on the LSATs. This is more about getting useful work experience for the next 18 months, not really the application. I don't want to continue with my current job if there's something I can do that will help me when I'm a lawyer later on.
Work experience is going to be more helpful for you for getting jobs, I think

I think anything that has some responsibility and substance is good though.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Gail wrote:
piney wrote:I'm already working on the LSATs. This is more about getting useful work experience for the next 18 months, not really the application. I don't want to continue with my current job if there's something I can do that will help me when I'm a lawyer later on.

If you want to be a litigator, work experience matters less. If you want deals or business, then you want work where you worked for a respected business, or substantially interacted with clients. For sub-specialties it helps to have worked in the industry a lot (eg. entertainment industry for OMM CC, big accounting for Ivins/Caplin Drysdale).

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
Gail wrote:

If you want to be a litigator, work experience matters less. If you want deals or business, then you want work where you worked for a respected business, or substantially interacted with clients. For sub-specialties it helps to have worked in the industry a lot (eg. entertainment industry for OMM CC, big accounting for Ivins/Caplin Drysdale).
Hm. I did not know that, but that makes a lot of sense.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Whatever pays the most

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Sales are always a good bet. You can make decent money and learn a skill that is applicable to any job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”