How much do extracurricular activities weigh? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Balzate

New

How much do extracurricular activities weigh?

Post by Balzate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am

I did not know I wanted to go to law school untill recently and before then every one pretty much told me "your AA doesn't really count, you start all over when you get your BA".. so my grades havent been the best, but right now as a junior I have a 3.1 and plan on graduating with a 3.4ish (so help me god).. and I'm banking on studying and taking prep courses for the lsat to get some where around a 167. MY QUESTION IS: I've done alot of extracurricular activities, I was vice president of student goverment while getting my AA, it was like a part time job, raised tons of money, planned and organized lots of events (ofcourse I would explain this alot better when the time comes) and in the beginning of my Junior year I did a un paid internship working with an attorney and now the attorney actually pays me and it's become a paid internship. Ofcourse the attorney I work for will be writting a recommendation letter. And I went to the pre law society meeting last week and basically just asked "how do I become the president of this"...So is it really important, should I even bother joining the pre-law society, is it worth it? any of it? I am looking at UC Davis, University of Illinois, University of Colorado and i'll probably apply to Berkeley and Northwestern just to see... lets say WORST case scenario, I graduate with a 3.2, does this extracurricular activities/letters of recommendation/ a really good personal statemnt add much weight, should i even bother applying to these schools with a 3.2-3.3???

i really want to go to UC davis
Last edited by Balzate on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Silver

Re: How much does extra curriculum weigh? UCdavis/Uillinois

Post by Kabuo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 am

You are talking about extracurricular activities, not extra curriculum. There's a big difference. And no, if you get a 167, no one will care. If you don't they probably still won't. Prelaw societies seem worthless. Just get your GPA up and don't suck at the LSAT.

apollo2015

Bronze

Re: How much do extracurricular activities weigh?

Post by apollo2015 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Balzate wrote:I did not know I wanted to go to law school untill recently and before then every one pretty much told me "your AA doesn't really count, you start all over when you get your BA
Keep in mind that your AA gpa is factored into your final LSDAS GPA (the ones that law schools consider you based upon).

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Emory would prob take you with 167 and 3.4 GPA. Any UC school is going to be difficult though. They, like Texas, really love GPAs.

Your AA counts. It would count if it was good and it counts if it isn't. College level courses are college level courses to the LSDAS, fortunately/unfortunately.

I think LS are focusing more on GPAs this cycle. Maybe next cycle will be different though.

Good luck!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Extra curriculars are sifts, tie breakers only.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Balzate

New

Post by Balzate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks every one ! Yea I know colleges look at the first 120 credits but I was just saying that not knowing that early on is why my gpa is so low. Now I feel like I shouldn't waste time with the pre law club and just take what I got; focus on GPA and LSAT

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:18 am

Balzate wrote:Thanks every one ! Yea I know colleges look at the first 120 credits but I was just saying that not knowing that early on is why my gpa is so low. Now I feel like I shouldn't waste time with the pre law club and just take what I got; focus on GPA and LSAT
Correct. The most important factors for law school admissions offices are GPA/LSAT and URM status. And maybe not even that last one. You're gonna feel like a real ass when you're president of the pre-law society but you're going to Cooley because you didn't have time to study for the LSAT and roped yourself a 150.

In fact, if you're planning on staying around TLS, prepare yourself for the belief that anything sub-170 merits a retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”