How much Undergraduate freshman's first term gpa matters? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ylee11

New

How much Undergraduate freshman's first term gpa matters?

Post by ylee11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:45 am

Hello, I'm currently a college freshman in DC. I am planning to go to a law school after undergraduate.
Because my college is one of the most expensive schools in US, I am thinking about graduating early.
Yet, here comes a big trouble. I literally SCREWED my first semester by receiving 3.0 gpa.
I guess I was just crazy about being free from high school and becoming a college kid.
I know how stupid this is and I regret this now for every second I think about it.
Although I know this grade will definitely impact me a lot in law school admission, especially if I'm applying top law schools, I'd like to know how much impact it would be. In addition to not fulfilling 4 years but only 3 years of college (if I assume that I graduate early), wouldn't this grade become my drawback? I really hope to find a way to offset this bad grade, not only by getting good grades from now on but also by other activities if there is any. Your comments will be so essential in formulating my future plan.
Thank you

mel2010

Bronze

Re: How much Undergraduate freshman's first term gpa matters?

Post by mel2010 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 am

All a law school is going to care about gradewise is your cumulative undergrad GPA at the time when you apply (and possibly the fall semester of your senior year and/or spring semester of senior year, if they want updates). They are not going to look at an individual semester and judge you; particularly not the first semester. If anything, you're better off building upwards than downwards.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:00 am

All that matters is your cumulative GPA. The only way to offset your current grades is to just get better grades from now on.

You're also years away from law school and in undergrad. Try to enjoy yourself.

drizzle12

New

Post by drizzle12 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 am

This is almost my exact situation, minus the expensive UG and graduating early. I received a 3.1 GPA my first semester of college. I worked my ass off and I will now be graduating with > 3.75. I've gotten into some pretty good schools so far and in my application I've urged schools to consider my grade trend throughout college. I don't know how much weight that holds, but an upward grade trend is at least a good sign for schools. And it's better than a huge drop in GPA the semester before you apply.

So if you work hard to increase your GPA and get a good LSAT then you'll be fine. But it's still early, enjoy your UG years and have fun. Just don't lose sight of your goal.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 am

your best case scenario is over 3.85. All grades matter almost equally, but you're definitely not in any sort of real trouble

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 am

I got a 3.0 my first semester too. Applied with around a 3.5, and it should've been higher, but for an equally weak second semester. And first semester of sophomore year. Point is, I'm going to NYU, so you shouldn't kill yourself.

Also, how are you enjoying GW? I have a bunch of friends/family members there, and they all tell me that you get what you pay for.

ylee11

New

Post by ylee11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:33 am

Thank you for everybody's warm support. it saved me from depression:)
Yeshia90 wrote:I got a 3.0 my first semester too. Applied with around a 3.5, and it should've been higher, but for an equally weak second semester. And first semester of sophomore year. Point is, I'm going to NYU, so you shouldn't kill yourself.

Also, how are you enjoying GW? I have a bunch of friends/family members there, and they all tell me that you get what you pay for.
It's funny that you found out I go to GW, kkk. I love here. Except that it's a way too expensive, I like GW's location and various activities it offers. hope I can say the same thing what your friends said when i graduate :lol:

jre425

New

Post by jre425 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Could be worse, I had around a 2.00 after the first entire year. Will probably end up with a 3.35 after this semester, which isn't that good but my sophmore year wasn't that good either. Goes up quick with 4.0's. Plus I think going from down to up is much better than the other way around, i tried making it a positive if anything on my applications. Enjoying college > perfect grades that early imho

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 pm

It matters 12.5%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”