Is John Marshall a good school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jfiguer6

New

Is John Marshall a good school?

Post by jfiguer6 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 pm

I just recently got accepted into John Marhsall in Chicago. I got a 148 on the LSAT with a GPA of 3.69. Should I attend or should I try taking the LSAT again and try going to another law school? I'm 21 years old.

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Is John Marshall a good school?

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Try again!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 pm

John Marshall was one of our nation's most treasured early jurists. OF COURSE a school named after him is going to be a good school!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 pm

jfiguer6 wrote: Should I attend or should I try taking the LSAT again and try going to another law school?
Looks like you've had your answer for some time already.

jfiguer6

New

Post by jfiguer6 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 pm

tmon wrote:
jfiguer6 wrote: Should I attend or should I try taking the LSAT again and try going to another law school?
Yeah, but that was before I got accepted into John Marshall. I just wasn't sure if it was a good school or not. I guess it was just exciting to see that I got in somewhere. But I'm gathering that the general consensus is to try again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:17 pm

jfiguer6 wrote:
tmon wrote:
Yeah, but that was before I got accepted into John Marshall. I just wasn't sure if it was a good school or not. I guess it was just exciting to see that I got in somewhere. But I'm gathering that the general consensus is to try again.
According to Law School Transparency (LinkRemoved), no.
Last edited by tmon on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 pm

jfiguer6 wrote:
tmon wrote:
I'm a third year at one of the top 6 schools in the country. So many of my friends, some in top quarter, most above median, don't yet yet have jobs. Graduating from John Marshall, or any school that will take you with a 148, is a terrifying proposition in this economy barring the case in which an applicant through his or her connections has a guaranteed job after law school. You have a pretty good GPA. The LSAT is largely learnable. Don't waste 4 years of hard work in undergrad. Retake.

pre-med person

New

Post by pre-med person » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 pm

how hard did you try on the LSAT?

Did you take Kaplan? how many PTs did you do? What was your highest PT? Did you master the logic games section, that's free points?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 pm

No. --LinkRemoved--

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 pm

You would have top be in the top, say, 1% your class at John Marshall to transfer anywhere worthwhile.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 am

Obvious flame.

He changed from John Marshall in Atlanta to John Marshall in Chicago and is asking absurd questions.

Shame on all of you.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 am

Yeah there have been a series of flame posts like this for days now. "Should I go to this crappy school" or "should I submit this nonsense addendum". All the time by new posters. Its a shame the mods can't do anything about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:53 am

mrtoren wrote:Obvious flame.

He changed from John Marshall in Atlanta to John Marshall in Chicago and is asking absurd questions.

Shame on all of you.
Some people just have a hard on for the Chief Justice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:53 am

MrAnon wrote:Yeah there have been a series of flame posts like this for days now. "Should I go to this crappy school" or "should I submit this nonsense addendum". All the time by new posters. Its a shame the mods can't do anything about it.
I would bet these probably aren't flames. I imagine it's pretty easy for prospective applicants to be fairly uninformed since it's easy to just sign up for the LSAT and apply.

jfiguer6

New

Post by jfiguer6 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what a "flame" is, but that's not what I am. The reason I went from JM in ATL to Chicago was because I applied through LSAC to the one in Atlanta, but received a letter of admittance to the one in Chicago.

I had a lot going on when I took the LSAT: Senior fall semester classes, fraternity position, full time work, and volunteer organizations. I thought I could handle it all, but did not prepare for the LSAT like I should have. I believe I can get my score up a substantial amount, I'm taking the new Blueprint course offered in Atlanta during the summer. Thanks for all the advice!

smelltheglove

New

Post by smelltheglove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:32 pm

It's the absolute best bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomask

New

Post by Thomask » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 pm

I got accepted to John Marshall and My LSAT was a 153, GPA 3.8. I know kids who got over 160's and some 170's who are in my class/study groups etc. I ended my first semester with a 3.4 GPA (A, A-, B, B+) .. I beat out most of the kids I knew who did way better than me on their LSAT's and I am currently in the top 25% of my class. Yes, I am not the smartest kid in the world, but I tried my hardest and studied as much as I could. I know I can finish in the top 20% of my class or maybe even top 15% when it is all said and done and graduate with Cum Laude. Yes it matters to a point which school you go to, but in the end, if you work hard, study hard and are focused and love the law, you will come out and do big things. I currently have an internship also by networking. Don't listen to all these people who say you need to get a better LSAT. John Marshall is a well respected school in Chicago if that is where you plan to stay after graduating. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the Country, of course there will be other good schools, but John Marshall has been going up and up in the rankings every year and I guarantee they will be in the top 100 in 3 years.

Law School is hard work no matter where you go. You can go to Harvard if you want, but if you're going to be lazy and make it through with Straight C average, then go ahead, it will not benefit you. Everyone in the country takes the same classes their first year anyways. I am not trying to bring your hopes down, but if you are at a 148 now..you won't get that much better on your LSAT..maybe you'll get in the 153-155 range..but you still won't get into Kent, U of I, Northwestern or U of C. So my suggestion is, go to John Marshall, work hard and try to get the best grades you can and get into the top 20-15% range and you will be find after graduation.

The lawyer I work for at my internship, went to John Marshall and didn't even graduate in the top 30% of his class and is making roughly over 2 million dollars a year, but from hard work. So you can take my advice or leave it, but I suggest you don't waste your time and money trying to get a better score, and go to John Marshall and just work hard.

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Thomask wrote:I got accepted to John Marshall and My LSAT was a 153, GPA 3.8. I know kids who got over 160's and some 170's who are in my class/study groups etc. I ended my first semester with a 3.4 GPA (A, A-, B, B+) .. I beat out most of the kids I knew who did way better than me on their LSAT's and I am currently in the top 25% of my class. Yes, I am not the smartest kid in the world, but I tried my hardest and studied as much as I could. I know I can finish in the top 20% of my class or maybe even top 15% when it is all said and done and graduate with Cum Laude. Yes it matters to a point which school you go to, but in the end, if you work hard, study hard and are focused and love the law, you will come out and do big things. I currently have an internship also by networking. Don't listen to all these people who say you need to get a better LSAT. John Marshall is a well respected school in Chicago if that is where you plan to stay after graduating. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the Country, of course there will be other good schools, but John Marshall has been going up and up in the rankings every year and I guarantee they will be in the top 100 in 3 years.

Law School is hard work no matter where you go. You can go to Harvard if you want, but if you're going to be lazy and make it through with Straight C average, then go ahead, it will not benefit you. Everyone in the country takes the same classes their first year anyways. I am not trying to bring your hopes down, but if you are at a 148 now..you won't get that much better on your LSAT..maybe you'll get in the 153-155 range..but you still won't get into Kent, U of I, Northwestern or U of C. So my suggestion is, go to John Marshall, work hard and try to get the best grades you can and get into the top 20-15% range and you will be find after graduation.

The lawyer I work for at my internship, went to John Marshall and didn't even graduate in the top 30% of his class and is making roughly over 2 million dollars a year, but from hard work. So you can take my advice or leave it, but I suggest you don't waste your time and money trying to get a better score, and go to John Marshall and just work hard.
I'd call flame but something about this post is sincere. Possibly the worst, most frightening advice I've ever heard.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Thomask wrote:I got accepted to John Marshall and My LSAT was a 153, GPA 3.8. I know kids who got over 160's and some 170's who are in my class/study groups etc. I ended my first semester with a 3.4 GPA (A, A-, B, B+) .. I beat out most of the kids I knew who did way better than me on their LSAT's and I am currently in the top 25% of my class. Yes, I am not the smartest kid in the world, but I tried my hardest and studied as much as I could. I know I can finish in the top 20% of my class or maybe even top 15% when it is all said and down and graduate with Cum Laude. Yes it matters to a point which school you go to, but in the end, if you work hard, study hard and are focused and love the law, you will come out and do big things. I currently have an internship also by networking. Don't listen to all these people who say you need to get a better LSAT. John Marshall is a well respected school in Chicago if that is where you plan to stay after graduating. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the Country, of course there will be other good schools, but John Marshall has been going up and up in the rankings every year and I guarantee they will be in the top 100 in 3 years.

Sweet jesus christ on a cracker. Is this an exercise in spotting how many totally wrong statements and terrible assumptions are made in a paragraph or something?

Graduating from law school is not the goal; GETTING A JOB IS THE GOAL. Most of the kids from John Marshall will not get decent jobs, no matter how much they "love the law." There are statistics to back this up.

You can't get Cs at Harvard; Harvard doesn't give letter grades. And even if they did, it's pretty freaking hard to get mediocre grades there. And even if he did somehow manage to get straight Pass grades, the kid at Harvard is still going to have a 1000x better shot at getting a good job than anyone at John Marshall. BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING HARVARD.

There are multiple people on this forum that started with LSAT scores in the 140s-150s and ended up over 170. Not everyone can get there, but everyone can improve. No school that takes a 148 is worth attending.

The John Marshall grad who makes $2M almost assuredly graduated before 2008. It is an ENTIRELY different legal market out there now. Before 2008, you really could go to almost any school, do ok, and get a decent job. Now there are grads from the very best schools in the country without jobs. Not only that, but the cost of law school has tripled in the last 10-12 years. The earlier generations of lawyers have absolutely no clue about the cost of law school these days or the employment prospects. You can't listen to their advice on those topics.

In short, the person who wrote this post is a moron.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Thomask wrote:I got accepted to John Marshall and My LSAT was a 153, GPA 3.8. I know kids who got over 160's and some 170's who are in my class/study groups etc. I ended my first semester with a 3.4 GPA (A, A-, B, B+) .. I beat out most of the kids I knew who did way better than me on their LSAT's and I am currently in the top 25% of my class. Yes, I am not the smartest kid in the world, but I tried my hardest and studied as much as I could. I know I can finish in the top 20% of my class or maybe even top 15% when it is all said and done and graduate with Cum Laude. Yes it matters to a point which school you go to, but in the end, if you work hard, study hard and are focused and love the law, you will come out and do big things. I currently have an internship also by networking. Don't listen to all these people who say you need to get a better LSAT. John Marshall is a well respected school in Chicago if that is where you plan to stay after graduating. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the Country, of course there will be other good schools, but John Marshall has been going up and up in the rankings every year and I guarantee they will be in the top 100 in 3 years.

You really necro'd a 4+ month old thread to say that?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 pm

But guys! He GUARANTEES you it will be in the top 100 in 3 years!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Thomask wrote:I got accepted to John Marshall and My LSAT was a 153, GPA 3.8. I know kids who got over 160's and some 170's who are in my class/study groups etc. I ended my first semester with a 3.4 GPA (A, A-, B, B+) .. I beat out most of the kids I knew who did way better than me on their LSAT's and I am currently in the top 25% of my class. Yes, I am not the smartest kid in the world, but I tried my hardest and studied as much as I could. I know I can finish in the top 20% of my class or maybe even top 15% when it is all said and down and graduate with Cum Laude. Yes it matters to a point which school you go to, but in the end, if you work hard, study hard and are focused and love the law, you will come out and do big things. I currently have an internship also by networking. Don't listen to all these people who say you need to get a better LSAT. John Marshall is a well respected school in Chicago if that is where you plan to stay after graduating. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the Country, of course there will be other good schools, but John Marshall has been going up and up in the rankings every year and I guarantee they will be in the top 100 in 3 years.

Sweet jesus christ on a cracker. Is this an exercise in spotting how many totally wrong statements and terrible assumptions are made in a paragraph or something?

Graduating from law school is not the goal; GETTING A JOB IS THE GOAL. Most of the kids from John Marshall will not get decent jobs, no matter how much they "love the law." There are statistics to back this up.

You can't get Cs at Harvard; Harvard doesn't give letter grades. And even if they did, it's pretty freaking hard to get mediocre grades there. And even if he did somehow manage to get straight Pass grades, the kid at Harvard is still going to have a 1000x better shot at getting a good job than anyone at John Marshall. BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING HARVARD.

There are multiple people on this forum that started with LSAT scores in the 140s-150s and ended up over 170. Not everyone can get there, but everyone can improve. No school that takes a 148 is worth attending.

The John Marshall grad who makes $2M almost assuredly graduated before 2008. It is an ENTIRELY different legal market out there now. Before 2008, you really could go to almost any school, do ok, and get a decent job. Now there are grads from the very best schools in the country without jobs. Not only that, but the cost of law school has tripled in the last 10-12 years. The earlier generations of lawyers have absolutely no clue about the cost of law school these days or the employment prospects. You can't listen to their advice on those topics.

In short, the person who wrote this post is a moron.

HA! HAHAHA!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Long story short: this school, whatever it is, has the WORST employment placement data I have ever seen. Just God awful. Sweet Jesus Christ on a Cracker.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”