Getting a Job in a Different State Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CaptAdams

Bronze

Getting a Job in a Different State

Post by CaptAdams » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:59 pm

I've been accepted to one of my top choices. The issue is it is out of state. My wife has a great job that isn't easily transferable, and we own a house. So we would have to live apart unless I go to the in-state school.

My question is this: the school I want to go to is in the city the wife and I ultimately want to live in, while my in-state school is rather far away. I get the feeling that it is very difficult to get a job in a different state when you're competing with students that are already there. My thoughts are since we're going to move to this particular city anyway, it would be less painful living apart and building contacts while I am in school. While staying in-state might look nice on paper, I fear I will become stuck.

Thoughts?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Getting a Job in a Different State

Post by bk1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Depends on the prestige of the schools. If the in-state school is not well regarded where you ultimately want to live then it will be difficult to get a job there from the in-state school.

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:13 pm

bk187 wrote:Depends on the prestige of the schools. If the in-state school is not well regarded where you ultimately want to live then it will be difficult to get a job there from the in-state school.
Thanks for the response. The in-state school is a state school 1,000 miles away from the city where we want to live (where the other school is). The two schools are similarly ranked, not in the T20.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:40 pm

i went through the same thing brah, sometimes u just gotta do it, work hard and use ur connections to perhaps come back

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:i went through the same thing brah, sometimes u just gotta do it, work hard and use ur connections to perhaps come back
That's what I'm thinking. I don't want to get stuck where I'm at, so it seems more logical to bite the bullet, live away from the wife for a while and pinch pennies until she can move with me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I attend school outside of my home state. At OCI the local firms gave me a really hard time about not originally being from the area. Other out of state students have reported the same thing. I tried everything. Telling them my wife works here, telling them I chose this school because I wanted to live here etc. they just couldn't get over it. I also didn't get a single response from any of the in state employers when I was applying to jobs for 1L summer. Thus, I had to take a job out of the state, even though I didn't want to and this undermined my attempts to convince OCI employers that I was here to stay.

When I did call backs at firms in my home state market, on the other hand, it took only minimal effort to convince them that I wanted to come back for good.

You can infer from this what you will.

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Geist13 wrote:You can infer from this what you will.
Ugh... Can you PM me what state this is? Are you in a public or private school?

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:04 am

If you were born in Kansas and wanted to work in Missouri or Nebraska, I don't think it would be a problem. It seems like your target market is closer. Say that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”