Does a rejection hurt if you reapply next cycle? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kdoyon812

New

Does a rejection hurt if you reapply next cycle?

Post by kdoyon812 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Say I apply for admission at a school this year and get rejected. If I retake the LSAT and then reapply, how does this impact my chances of admission? If my December LSAT score comes back and it's a long shot to get into a certain school, is it better for me to apply and just see what happens with little chance of acceptance and then retake if I don't get in or just plan to sit out the cycle and apply for the first time early next cycle?

Also, say I were accepted but with no scholarship, can I retake and then reapply next year for more scholarships even though I was admitted already in a previous cycle?

I'm wondering what the best course of action is if my LSAT comes back not as good as I had hoped. Not sure if I should just plan to take the year off and secure a better score that will give me a good chance to get in, or just apply anyways for the hell of it and see what happens.

Thanks.

Eirhoff73

New

Re: Does a rejection hurt if you reapply next cycle?

Post by Eirhoff73 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 pm

kdoyon812 wrote:Say I apply for admission at a school this year and get rejected. If I retake the LSAT and then reapply, how does this impact my chances of admission? If my December LSAT score comes back and it's a long shot to get into a certain school, is it better for me to apply and just see what happens with little chance of acceptance and then retake if I don't get in or just plan to sit out the cycle and apply for the first time early next cycle?

Also, say I were accepted but with no scholarship, can I retake and then reapply next year for more scholarships even though I was admitted already in a previous cycle?

I'm wondering what the best course of action is if my LSAT comes back not as good as I had hoped. Not sure if I should just plan to take the year off and secure a better score that will give me a good chance to get in, or just apply anyways for the hell of it and see what happens.

Thanks.
I have heard that one cycle can be completely different in terms of what they are looking for students to fill the chairs. I've also been told that this doesn't always hold water. So, what the hell.

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Re: Does a rejection hurt if you reapply next cycle?

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 pm

I brought this same question to my college law school advisor, and he said to wait and apply when you're strongest. If your application is rejected, when you apply again you will have to demonstrate that your new application is different than your rejected app, which may be very difficult to do. One way may be to ace the lsat and improve 10-20 points from a previous score, but it may be worth waiting if you think you'll only improve a few points.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”