B.Tech in Legal Studies? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Leaborb192

Bronze

B.Tech in Legal Studies?

Post by Leaborb192 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:53 pm

So here's my situation: I am currently a senior about to graduate in spring 2012 with a BA in Spanish Lang/Lit. My original plan after graduating was to take a gap-year; study for the LSAT; and attend law school in the fall of 2013. HOWEVER, I've been thinking and looking at alternative plans and I think I might have found one. It involves pursuing a second Bachelor's degree- this time it's a Bachelor's of Technology in Legal Studies. It would be a commitment as it would involve three more years of undergraduate work, but I think the curriculum could really prepare me for law school. It's an online program so I could work part-time; do classes at night; while simultaneously studying for the LSAT. While it's true that I wouldn't be able to attend law school until fall of 2016, conservative estimate, I think it would really test my ability and skill to perform. It's a cheap SUNY program so I wouldn't spend a lot of money earning the degree and when I graduate I'd have the ability to work as a para legal or legal assistant. I'd also have to do an internship so I could get inside a law firm and get some 'real world' experience before attending law school. My question is: what do you think? Would you do it? Yes? No? Why?

Here's a link to the program so I can get other people's perspectives. I've already emailed the chair and asked him some questions regarding its authenticity as well as regarding general education requirements, but obviously he has yet to respond. I'm sincerely considering this as a viable option because I think it would really help. What do you think?

http://www.canton.edu/business/lest/description.html

Thank you,
Rob L. :D

EliHBCU

New

Re: B.Tech in Legal Studies?

Post by EliHBCU » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Don't do it. Taking extra time to get an additional undergraduate degree in legal studies is a waste since you don't need legal training to get through law school. If you were originally considering a gap year, I recommend doing that instead.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Seriously, don't do that. It will be a huge waste of three years of your life. Go with your first plan, it's a tried and true technique. Take a year off and study hard until you're consistently scoring in the upper 170's on LSAT PTs. Take the LSAT. Apply to law school. Go to a T-14 law school. A Bachelor of Technology in Legal Studies will do absolutely nothing to increase your chances of admittance to or success in Law School.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

SPAM!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:33 pm

An undergraduate degree in legal studies is unlikely to help regarding law school admissions. Working as a paralegal will help determine whether or not you want to pursue a law degree, but is unlikely to help much regarding law school admissions or performance in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”