HYS CCN grading Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
icpb

Bronze

HYS CCN grading

Post by icpb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Why do people say grading systems at Y and S are better than the one at H? Also, how does the grading system at H compare with those at CLS and NYU?

ph14

Gold

Re: HYS CCN grading

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 pm

icpb wrote:Why do people say grading systems at Y and S are better than the one at H? Also, how does the grading system at H compare with those at CLS and NYU?
Y is P/F first semester. S and H are both H/P/LP, but LPs seem to be much rarer at SLS than at HLS. NYU/CLS both use letter grades.

Stig

New

Post by Stig » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:29 pm

ph14 wrote:
icpb wrote:Why do people say grading systems at Y and S are better than the one at H? Also, how does the grading system at H compare with those at CLS and NYU?
Y is P/F first semester. S and H are both H/P/LP, but LPs seem to be much rarer at SLS than at HLS. NYU/CLS both use letter grades.
SLS has Honors (roughly top 1/3) and Pass (bottom 2/3). There is also technically a RC (restricted credit), which the 2Ls/3Ls say no one has ever received. Apparently there is a lot of red-tape to go through to actually get an RC, and you have to write something to the effect of "I don't want to take this exam" to get it. (Source (LinkRemoved))

HLS has "37% dean's scholar and honors, 55% pass, and 8% low pass in classes with over 30 JD and LLM students" (from Wikipedia, originally from their academic policy handbook from a while ago, it may have changed since then). So unless they have since changed it, some people are forced by the recommended standards to get that low mark.

Essentially, HLS has a chance of getting a low pass, while YLS and (for all intents and purposes) SLS do not. Rumor has it that the H/P ratio at HLS is used more in hiring because their class size is bigger, so it is more useful to separate candidates. Not sure of the accuracy of that though. At the end of the day though, HYS all have a nice safety net compared to a forced letter curve at CLS and NYU and the decimal point system at UChi.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Stig wrote:
ph14 wrote:
SLS has Honors (roughly top 1/3) and Pass (bottom 2/3). There is also technically a RC (restricted credit), which the 2Ls/3Ls say no one has ever received. Apparently there is a lot of red-tape to go through to actually get an RC, and you have to write something to the effect of "I don't want to take this exam" to get it. (Source (LinkRemoved))

HLS has "37% dean's scholar and honors, 55% pass, and 8% low pass in classes with over 30 JD and LLM students" (from Wikipedia, originally from their academic policy handbook from a while ago, it may have changed since then). So unless they have since changed it, some people are guaranteed to get that low mark.

Essentially, HLS has a chance of getting a low pass, while YLS and (for all intents and purposes) SLS do not. Rumor has it that the H/P ratio at HLS is used more in hiring because their class size is bigger, so it is more useful to separate candidates. Not sure of the accuracy of that though. At the end of the day though, HYS all have a nice safety net compared to a forced letter curve at CLS and NYU and the decimal point system at UChi.
I believe the LP is discretionary now, but some professors do follow the suggested curve and give out the recommended percentage of LPs.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:35 pm

ph14 wrote:
Stig wrote:
ph14 wrote:

HLS has "37% dean's scholar and honors, 55% pass, and 8% low pass in classes with over 30 JD and LLM students" (from Wikipedia, originally from their academic policy handbook from a while ago, it may have changed since then). So unless they have since changed it, some people are guaranteed to get that low mark.

I believe the LP is discretionary now, but some professors do follow the suggested curve and give out the recommended percentage of LPs.
+1. z0mg wikipedia is not up to date? I should go fix that :P

LP is discretionary now, and only a handful of profs give out the full 8% (very few in fact). Most either don't give it or give out a handful per class. Sounds more common than SLS' RC though fo sho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Chicago has the most absurd grading system ever.

Stig

New

Post by Stig » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:26 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
+1. z0mg wikipedia is not up to date? I should go fix that :P

LP is discretionary now, and only a handful of profs give out the full 8% (very few in fact). Most either don't give it or give out a handful per class. Sounds more common than SLS' RC though fo sho.
Good to know, I thought I saw they changed it recently but could not remember for sure.

Bottom line OP is that there is not really any meaningful difference between HYS grading systems over the long term, so long as you don't really really mess up a class.

That said, YLS may have a bit of a nicer cushion in looking for 1L summer jobs in that they all will have the same grades (all passes) going into application season.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”