How to address parents concerns? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HarveyBirdman

New

How to address parents concerns?

Post by HarveyBirdman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:08 pm

I've got 4 weeks left of college, take the LSAT in February. Few months ago I got a job at a small law firm, not quite a paralegal but it's something. The money isn't great, but my plan was to work this (along with a retail job on the side) until applying for fall 2013. This is an attempt to make myself look better with some work experience, though I don't know if the fact that I'm not writing briefs and shit is going to matter. Maybe I should try using my accounting degree to get an accounting job, but I don't want to be jumping around too much. I know this is only temporary and I'm fine with that.

Like many of you here I want to shoot for the best I can get. Since I live in Ohio, at the very least I think I should go to OSU, should national schools be out of reach.

My dad thinks I should continue to live at home and commute to Cleveland State for law school, part time, while continuing to work. I guess this means I would also start next year rather than 2013. His rationale is I would be saving a lot of money. I try to point out, first of all, it's going to be very hard to find a job coming out of Cleveland State. Secondly, going part time and working takes away opportunities to make connections and build my resume, I think. I mean, you can't do summer positions, and time is stretched so probably no time to join organizations. I've been working and going to college simultaneously for a few years now too, and I am worn out. I want to have plenty of time to study in law school and not be up all night hating the world like this week of midterms has been.

Anyway, what do I tell him? I think he thinks I'm being stupid and am not going to go to law school because I'm taking "time off" after college. He'd rather I continue to live at home until I finish law school (I'd be at least 27 by then!) and that just...doesn't sit right with me. Yeah the money saved on rent alone would be great, but damn I'm a grown man. Or trying to be.

Englander742

Bronze

Re: How to address parents concerns?

Post by Englander742 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm sure your dad has all your best interests in mind - and that's something to appreciate.

That said, I think you've got some good points. I would find some hard stats about Cleveland State employment to show him. Also, it seems like Ohio is overloaded (they have what, 9 law schools?). That might be something to point out too.

Other than that, rock the LSAT. If you like Ohio, a full ride to Ohio State would be awesome and probably give you some strong options... and I imagine a full ride would be hard to argue against.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm

I think you should take an accounting job. You will be paid more and you will have something to fall back on if you don't like law. Maybe you will like your job and stick with it. I too suggest OSU.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Tell him that your LSAT score will, in large part, determine your options for law school. Without an actual LSAT score, even Cleveland State Law is not an option.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Show him Cleveland State's employment breakdown on LawSchoolTransparency.com. Then tell him it's gotten WORSE since that data was current.

I thought my dad was going to resist my decision to give up a hefty scholarship at Lewis & Clark (I was going to go part time and keep my job) and move to Chicago to attend a top school. But my dad's not stupid and can understand employment data, so he was convinced. Hopefully your dad would be equally reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Tell him that your LSAT score will, in large part, determine your options for law school. Without an actual LSAT score, even Cleveland State Law is not an option.
My gameplan for the next 2 years does really depend on how I do in February, but heh, I think I could get in to CSU either way. A better score would just mean scholarship money, perhaps. And I might end up going there anyway, I don't know, I just don't want to limit myself to that.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Show him Cleveland State's employment breakdown on LawSchoolTransparency.com. Then tell him it's gotten WORSE since that data was current.

I thought my dad was going to resist my decision to give up a hefty scholarship at Lewis & Clark (I was going to go part time and keep my job) and move to Chicago to attend a top school. But my dad's not stupid and can understand employment data, so he was convinced. Hopefully your dad would be equally reasonable.
I know it's pretty bad but I don't think he'd see anything wrong with "80% employed after 9 months" and median salary of $92,000. Then he'd just start telling me about a few people he knows that went there 15 years ago and found jobs.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:34 pm

One point that I was trying to make in my post above is that both you & your father need to know which law school are your actual options. If you do well enough to earn a full tuition scholarship to other law schools, then your father may be willing to be more open minded.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Show him Cleveland State's employment breakdown on LawSchoolTransparency.com. Then tell him it's gotten WORSE since that data was current.

I know it's pretty bad but I don't think he'd see anything wrong with "80% employed after 9 months" and median salary of $92,000. Then he'd just start telling me about a few people he knows that went there 15 years ago and found jobs.
Use those LSAT skills and tell him the flaw in his reasoning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:09 pm

bmore wrote:I think you should take an accounting job. You will be paid more and you will have something to fall back on if you don't like law. Maybe you will like your job and stick with it. I too suggest OSU.
I agree with this. Also, law school is chock full of former paralegals. I doubt that it helps anyone when looking for permanent employment.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:25 pm

thelawyler wrote:Use those LSAT skills and tell him the flaw in his reasoning.
TCR

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
bmore wrote:I think you should take an accounting job. You will be paid more and you will have something to fall back on if you don't like law. Maybe you will like your job and stick with it. I too suggest OSU.
I agree with this. Also, law school is chock full of former paralegals. I doubt that it helps anyone when looking for permanent employment.
Sure it does. There are back offices chock full of paralegals who have JD's, and having paralegal experience would help you stand out from the herd of applicants. Now, if you mean for a real lawyer job, yeah, you're right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”