Physics Undergrad for IP litigation? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BigJohnso

Bronze

Physics Undergrad for IP litigation?

Post by BigJohnso » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 pm

I am wondering basically if I need to do a joint degree MSEE with my JD if want to go into patent litigation (or do EE masters then do JD). Would a physics undergrad suffice? Also, would where I do my masters degree in EE matter? Thanks a bunch.

run26.2

Silver

Re: Physics Undergrad for IP litigation?

Post by run26.2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 pm

BigJohnso wrote:I am wondering basically if I need to do a joint degree MSEE with my JD if want to go into patent litigation (or do EE masters then do JD). Would a physics undergrad suffice? Also, would where I do my masters degree in EE matter? Thanks a bunch.
The answer is no. You can do patent litigation without a technical degree. Degree matters for patent prosecution because a technical degree is a requirement for passing the patent bar.

But an undergraduate in physics would likely make you more desirable, and an advanced degree only adding to that. I have an undergraduate degree in physics and received offers from patent litigation firms. I also have a lot of work experience, and I imagine that also helped.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:00 pm

It's by no means necessary, especially if you are at a good law school, but it can help you in the hiring process and especially if you want to work on EE-related litigation, at a cost of a year of lost income + tuition. It would probably open a few doors, but you will already have options if your undergrad record is good and you go to a good law school.

If you decide to do it, I'd say grades are more important than school - but you should go to at least a somewhat reputable engineering school. It's more important to go to a good law school than to have the MSEE.

Also, take the patent bar early if you can.

BigJohnso

Bronze

Post by BigJohnso » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks a lot for your response. So, a little about my situation. I have a 3.96/ 166 in physics. I can get into a pretty decent law school, but not great. I am also from metro Detroit. Given that I would want to minimize the cost of the MSEE if I did it before law school, I would do it at Wayne State. That way I could live at home and the tuition would be cheap. Is this too poor of an engineering school?

My intentions are to apply to a ton of law schools, see If I get lucky, and weigh my options. If I don't get into a good law school, I will sit out for a year or two while completing my MSEE. Do you think this is a good plan?

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigJohnso

Bronze

Post by BigJohnso » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm

paul34 wrote:I'm not sure rank matters as much when it comes to engineering and future IP legal employment. That is, the rank of your engineering school. Obviously law school prestige will often matter.
Okay, really good to know. Yeah I blew up games on my LSAT (-8), so I am pretty confident that I can break 170 with a bit more practice on those. Im pretty sure I'll be able to get into a good school with my #'s then. I will seriously consider the MSEE if my cycle goes terribly. Thanks for all the help.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:43 pm

BigJohnso wrote:Thanks a lot for your response. So, a little about my situation. I have a 3.96/ 166 in physics. I can get into a pretty decent law school, but not great. I am also from metro Detroit. Given that I would want to minimize the cost of the MSEE if I did it before law school, I would do it at Wayne State. That way I could live at home and the tuition would be cheap. Is this too poor of an engineering school?

My intentions are to apply to a ton of law schools, see If I get lucky, and weigh my options. If I don't get into a good law school, I will sit out for a year or two while completing my MSEE. Do you think this is a good plan?
Retake. Whether you work or get an MSEE while you are trying to raise your LSAT score is up to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”