Strange question that may require a LS student/grad 2 answer Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
EMZE

Silver

Strange question that may require a LS student/grad 2 answer

Post by EMZE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:40 pm

So this question come to mind mostly just because I was just hanging out with my dog (see avatar), and not because this is really something I am exceptionally interested in, but are there law schools/programs that are tailored for people going into things like animal rights?

I know organizations from the ASPCA to PETA have lawyers that work for them, so I am wondering where they get started at.

Random, I know. I think this question would go in this forum. If not, to the mods, I apologize, please move if necessary.

Bronte

Gold

Re: Strange question that may require a LS student/grad 2 answer

Post by Bronte » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Law schools are not tailored to particular practice areas at all. The best law schools are the best at placing law students in all relevant fields of law. There are almost no legal jobs in animal rights. You should not go to law school if this is your only interest in the law. You will be much better served fighting for animal rights without a JD. Also, it appears your dog considers those boxers he has on to be a flagrant violation of his animal rights.
Last edited by Bronte on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 pm

There are schools that have specialties of all sorts, and these are ranked in USNWR and everything.

However, these rankings are mostly meaningless. Organizations like PETA need litigators, and what they look for are the best/most dedicated litigators they can get. This often translates to 1) attorneys from the top law schools and 2) attorneys with great job experience. And #2 can often be traced back to #1.

(Note: The ASPCA only employs a small staff of lawyers to serve as in-house counsel, and does not engage in legal representation, instead referring people to the Animal Legal Defense Fund or other resources. Thus, the odds of getting employment with the ASPCA are extremely low, just because of the small number of opportunities there.)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Bronte wrote:Law schools are not tailored to particular practice areas at all. The best law schools are the best at placing law students in all relevant fields of law. There are almost no legal jobs in animal rights. You should not go to law school if this is your only interest in the law. You will be much better served fighting for animal rights without a JD.
This is also true. I was just looking through the ALDF attorneys, and they really don't employ their own attorneys, instead relying on the pro bono work of litigators as well as enforcement efforts from local/state prosecutors. Most people who do "animal rights" work today appear to only be doing it part-time as an aside to their real job. There's almost no full-time jobs there.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Interesting. Thanks to all. My curiousity has been satisfied.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Check out Lewis & Clark

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:06 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Bronte wrote:Law schools are not tailored to particular practice areas at all. The best law schools are the best at placing law students in all relevant fields of law. There are almost no legal jobs in animal rights. You should not go to law school if this is your only interest in the law. You will be much better served fighting for animal rights without a JD.
This is also true. I was just looking through the ALDF attorneys, and they really don't employ their own attorneys, instead relying on the pro bono work of litigators as well as enforcement efforts from local/state prosecutors. Most people who do "animal rights" work today appear to only be doing it part-time as an aside to their real job. There's almost no full-time jobs there.
Ya ALDF probably has firms on call with plenty of eager junior associates willing to get some pro bono hours. Best way to do stuff like this is go to the best school you can, get a biglaw job, and do some pro bono.

There's probably less than 10 total entry level "animal rights law" jobs that require a JD, if that, for every 45k law students that graduate every year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”