what are the readings in law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
joetheplumber

Bronze

what are the readings in law school

Post by joetheplumber » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Do you have to read lots of opinions by judges because those are really boring...

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: what are the readings in law school

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:02 pm

What is this I don't even

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 pm

joetheplumber wrote:Do you have to read lots of opinions by judges because those are really boring...
Law school is a complete waste of time. You will read opinions about issues of law that were settled 200 years ago. No real world application whatsoever.

You will have no idea how to draft a complaint, how to defend a motion for summary judgment, how to draft discovery responses, how to get clients, or how to run a business and get clients. Law school is essentially a three-year expensive prereq to taking the bar exam.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm

This thread fuckin sucks

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 pm

joetheplumber wrote:Do you have to read lots of opinions by judges because those are really boring...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casebook_method

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Nah bro. It is pretty much just watching episodes of Law and Order.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:44 pm

shoeshine wrote:
and "Suits." Most of you will end up in jobs like on "Suits" so pay attention.

joetheplumber

Bronze

Post by joetheplumber » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
and "Suits." Most of you will end up in jobs like on "Suits" so pay attention.
oo suits, i like that show. I need someone to take the LSAT for me

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:10 am

NoJob wrote:
Law school is a complete waste of time. You will read opinions about issues of law that were settled 200 years ago. No real world application whatsoever.

You will have no idea how to draft a complaint, how to defend a motion for summary judgment, how to draft discovery responses, how to get clients, or how to run a business and get clients. Law school is essentially a three-year expensive prereq to taking the bar exam.
TITCR. Best classes you can take in law school are the skills based classes. Negotiations, mediation, legal accounting etc. The other crap like feminism and the law, international law etc are worthless academic traps that people fall into. Unless you're at a t-14 and specifically a t-6 you're wasting your time pursing international law. Can't believe how many people i hear of at 16-50 schools that think they're going to do international law.

Learn basic legal firm skills and you will be a lot more desirable to employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:53 pm

typ3 wrote:
NoJob wrote:

TITCR. Best classes you can take in law school are the skills based classes. Negotiations, mediation, legal accounting etc. The other crap like feminism and the law, international law etc are worthless academic traps that people fall into. Unless you're at a t-14 and specifically a t-6 you're wasting your time pursing international law. Can't believe how many people i hear of at 16-50 schools that think they're going to do international law.

Learn basic legal firm skills and you will be a lot more desirable to employers.
Typ3's comments about the greater value of skill based classes is understandable. However, I would imagine that lawyering has just as much to do with the understanding of the law (ie historical precedents/principles gleaned through subjects such as international law, feminism movement), as it does with the application of the law (ie through skill-based classes previously mentioned). For example, a doctor is not simply one because he/she has been trained to perform various physical exam techniques, but also because of the distinct understanding of pathophysiology (among other subjects).

But hey...this is my first post and I am not in law school yet-so hopefully I find out first-hand next year!! :lol:

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Happy Endings wrote:
typ3 wrote:
NoJob wrote:

Typ3's comments about the greater value of skill based classes is understandable. However, I would imagine that lawyering has just as much to do with the understanding of the law (ie historical precedents/principles gleaned through subjects such as international law, feminism movement), as it does with the application of the law (ie through skill-based classes previously mentioned). For example, a doctor is not simply one because he/she has been trained to perform various physical exam techniques, but also because of the distinct understanding of pathophysiology (among other subjects).

But hey...this is my first post and I am not in law school yet-so hopefully I find out first-hand next year!! :lol:
You are imagining wrong.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:

You are imagining wrong.
NOT if he wants to be a professor of feminism and the law, or international law and the law.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:36 pm

downing wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:

You are imagining wrong.
NOT if he wants to be a professor of feminism and the law, or international law and the law.
Actually, probably not. I bet most professors that teach woman law or w/e never took it.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 pm

My understanding of how patriarchy is embedded in the language of the law really came in handy in the Motion to Compel Production of Documents I just filed.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:My understanding of how patriarchy is embedded in the language of the law really came in handy in the Motion to Compel Production of Documents I just filed.
This.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
You are imagining wrong.
also, pathophysiology is not nearly the same thing as the development of legal doctrine.. not even close.. not by a long shot.

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 pm

LOL! I appreciate your candor :wink: Since I am just starting in the application process and haven't started law school yet...I am just getting excited at the prospect of all the potential courses, skill-based or not.

Nic-Imagination does not ALWAYS equal certainty...by definition its mental formation is of something not actually present to the senses (ie someone not yet in law school). But it does beg the question...how much of what we will learn will we actually use? Anyway before I forget->Back in Black...classic.

BLS-speechless...too funny!

Pleasetry-Can't argue with that....in part because I haven't taken any law school courses yet.

Are all you guys 1L or 2Ls?? What are your experiences so far in law school??? Pls do tell!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Angus MacGyver

New

Post by Angus MacGyver » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:18 am

Sometimes you get to read opinions by magistrates, and justices. Lil' variety :wink: .

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:31 am

NoJob wrote:You will have no idea how to draft a complaint, how to defend a motion for summary judgment, how to draft discovery responses, how to get clients, or how to run a business and get clients. Law school is essentially a three-year expensive prereq to taking the bar exam.
Just learned how to draft a complaint the other day, actually.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 am

joncrooshal wrote:
NoJob wrote:You will have no idea how to draft a complaint, how to defend a motion for summary judgment, how to draft discovery responses, how to get clients, or how to run a business and get clients. Law school is essentially a three-year expensive prereq to taking the bar exam.
If you "learned" this skill in a law school you didn't actually learn how to do it.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:15 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
If you "learned" this skill in a law school you didn't actually learn how to do it.
We learned how to draft and file a complaint. We've been making our own complaints in Civ Pro since our professor says he hates how law school teaches you nothing practical about actually being a lawyer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:00 pm

I was asked to draft a complaint the first day of my 1L internship. I looked at some old complaints, and the complaint I drafted was filed as is. By the end of the internship, I had written multiple 20 plus page motions and briefs that were again filed as i'd written them. What I'd learned in law school helped me research on Westlaw, synthesize caselaw into rules, and properly cite authority. The extent to which you don't learn anything in law school is overblown by burned out cynics.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Bronte wrote:I was asked to draft a complaint the first day of my 1L internship. I looked at some old complaints, and the complaint I drafted was filed as is. By the end of the internship, I had written multiple 20 plus page motions and briefs that were again filed as i'd written them. What I'd learned in law school helped me research on Westlaw, synthesize caselaw into rules, and properly cite authority. The extent to which you don't learn anything in law school is overblown by burned out cynics.
I've heard it a mix of both. My good friend said that he had to teach himself everything. I guess it will come easy for some and hard for others. Though I admit that I appreciate having my Civ Pro professor teach us how to draft a complaint and all. We are doing a synthesized trial over the course of the semester and going through each step as you would take it in real life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”