Will this study plan work for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ThreeRivers

Silver

Will this study plan work for law school?

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 am

My undergrad career has primarily consisted of doing NOTHING accept attending classes / taking notes then cramming the night before an exam and getting a high a because my undergrad degree / institution is a joke imo. I realize that this is not very possible in law school, and I am a HUGE procrastinator. If I didn't create a schedule that I at least somewhat stick by, I'll lay around until 4... then be stuck studying all night / will have no life.

Achieving high grades in law school is my primary concern, but I'd really like to have some life so I figure a plan of action might help.

Would something along this linebe sufficient?

Mon-Fri: Get to campus at 8, either be in class or library studying (I get too distracted if not in library) until about 6. Then go home and be free until I go to bed

Sat- I NEED to work some, I know people advise to not do so if you can, but I need some cash flow. I am a waiter and I could work 12 hours on just Saturday (when they need people / place gets slammed). So basically Saturday would be my work / no study day.

Sun- I would like to primarily use this as an "off day" to just kick back and relax. I'm pretty addicted to the NFL so in the 1st semester this will probably be a lay around and watch way too much football day... kind of pathetic but would help me keep my sanity.

So basically my plan of attack would be to treat law school like a full time job M-F 8-6 and then be free after that... will this be sufficient? Obviously, this is not set in stone I'm guessing there will be days I'll finish early and times I need to work long into the night / request off work / work my ass off on Sunday (especially around finals time). I'm just inquiring if this seems like a solid basis to study from? I figure this will I'll have free time / can go out on most Friday nights / relax on Sundays, but also be doing a heavy amount of work

ph14

Gold

Re: Will this study plan work for law school?

Post by ph14 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 am

ThreeRivers wrote:My undergrad career has primarily consisted of doing NOTHING accept attending classes / taking notes then cramming the night before an exam and getting a high a because my undergrad degree / institution is a joke imo. I realize that this is not very possible in law school, and I am a HUGE procrastinator. If I didn't create a schedule that I at least somewhat stick by, I'll lay around until 4... then be stuck studying all night / will have no life.

Achieving high grades in law school is my primary concern, but I'd really like to have some life so I figure a plan of action might help.

Mon-Fri: Get to campus at 8, either be in class or library studying (I get too distracted if not in library) until about 6. Then go home and be free until I go to bed

Sat- I NEED to work some, I know people advise to not do so if you can, but I need some cash flow. I am a waiter and I could work 12 hours on just Saturday (when they need people / place gets slammed). So basically Saturday would be my work / no study day.

Sun- I would like to primarily use this as an "off day" to just kick back and relax. I'm pretty addicted to the NFL so in the 1st semester this will probably be a lay around and watch way too much football day... kind of pathetic but would help me keep my sanity.

So basically my plan of attack would be to treat law school like a full time job M-F 8-6 and then be free after that... will this be sufficient? Obviously, this is not set in stone I'm guessing there will be days I'll finish early and times I need to work long into the night / request off work / work my ass off on Sunday (especially around finals time). I'm just inquiring if this seems like a solid basis to study from? I figure this will I'll have free time / can go out on most Friday nights / relax on Sundays, but also be doing a heavy amount of work
Everyone is different. It is definitely possible to do well with that schedule, especially earlier in the semester. When you have a memo due or finals are coming up, you may have to kick it up a notch but for the most part that's a solid baseline.

Disclosure: 1L

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:16 am

ph14 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:My undergrad career has primarily consisted of doing NOTHING accept attending classes / taking notes then cramming the night before an exam and getting a high a because my undergrad degree / institution is a joke imo. I realize that this is not very possible in law school, and I am a HUGE procrastinator. If I didn't create a schedule that I at least somewhat stick by, I'll lay around until 4... then be stuck studying all night / will have no life.

Everyone is different. It is definitely possible to do well with that schedule, especially earlier in the semester. When you have a memo due or finals are coming up, you may have to kick it up a notch but for the most part that's a solid baseline.

Disclosure: 1L
O I realize this and I'm fully capable of not working (With 2 weeks notice, I plan to just take last couple weeks off) and spend all day Saturday studying / studying all day Sunday, and working all night if I need to in certain situations (I've done it before and not really a problem when I need to). Just normally when I wasn't doing that in undergrad I was doing NOTHING... I was just wondering if this schedule would be a solid replacement for the "nothing" time of undergrad." I felt like this might be the best of both worlds in that it would force me to study, but I also wouldn't be a zombie

morris248

Bronze

Post by morris248 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:37 am

The main problem I see is that law school exams are probably different from anything that you have done to date. Your entire grade depends on your final exam which is usually an essay exam. You have to be fast and concise. It is not just about the material but about your ability to properly take the exam and analyze the issues. I see problems unless you go ahead and take a course such as LEEWS.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:38 am

2L here. In my honest opinion, LS is about 60% how you study, 40% how long you study.

So just showing us that schedule doesn't reveal anything. You could study your heart out, but if you don't know how to take an exam, or you haven't been using a supplment in a class that it is known for really helping, or you are wasting time briefing cases and reading them (lol) then you could still end up at median or worse.

GLHF!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:56 am

Also, while you are studying 40 hours a week, there will be people that study 40 hours, get the same amount done, and then spend an extra 8-20 hours on the weekend going over practice tests, outlining, doing practice problems etc.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:06 pm

O, I know its just as much (probably more) on HOW you study. On the testing ability / essay tests I should be ok. Up until this point of my life I have been a great test taker / I live for essay tests (BY FAR my favorite format). I know law school will be different but I imagine it is for everyone. Based on what I've gathered a good strategy of studying would be a focus on outlining / practice tests, reading the cases and taking notes but not briefing (besides maybe in the very beginning). I was just wondering if doing a combination of this effectively would take approximately the 50 hours a week I'm planning on dedicating to it (including actual classes) on most weeks, or will it probably take more?

I know I'll have to make adjustments, but based on me knowing myself it'll probably be best if I go in with some relative schedule

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 pm

On the testing ability / essay tests I should be ok. Up until this point of my life I have been a great test taker / I live for essay tests (BY FAR my favorite format).

Just for the record, so has every other person in your class.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:19 pm

I put in about 55 hours a week 1L.
So, basically your schedule, but with an extra half day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:22 pm

kahechsof wrote:I put in about 55 hours a week 1L.
Outside of class or including class?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:On the testing ability / essay tests I should be ok. Up until this point of my life I have been a great test taker / I live for essay tests (BY FAR my favorite format).

Nicholasnickynic wrote:On the testing ability / essay tests I should be ok. Up until this point of my life I have been a great test taker / I live for essay tests (BY FAR my favorite format).

Lol, this I know but also every other person will be experiencing this for the first time which you implied was a major disadvantage to me.

I understand I need to develop a system on HOW to study and hell I may be making a thread asking for advice for that in September, my question is about me thinking of a general schedule.

If needed I could easily study M-F 8-8 and 9 hours on Sunday (I probably do need to work some on Saturday).

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:24 pm

ph14 wrote:
Same question and an additional question of how well you succeeded... my schedule which an additional 5 hours on Sunday would be very realistic / I think I may switch to this

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:26 pm

ph14 wrote:
Including class.
9-7 on Monday-Thursday.
9-3 or so on Friday.
10-7 on sunday.

I did really really well. I'd rather not post stats.
I just accepted my offer from a V25, where I hope I won't have to work more than that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:27 pm

kahechsof wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Including class.
9-7 on Monday-Thursday.
9-3 or so on Friday.
10-7 on sunday.

I just accepted my offer from a V25, where I hope I won't have to work more than that.
Fair enough. What school range are we talking?

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:29 pm

ph14 wrote:
kahechsof wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Including class.
9-7 on Monday-Thursday.
9-3 or so on Friday.
10-7 on sunday.

Fair enough. What school range are we talking?
HYSCCNMVPBDNCG
One of those.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm

kahechsof wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Including class.
9-7 on Monday-Thursday.
9-3 or so on Friday.
10-7 on sunday.

Thanks a lot... I think I'll do 8-6 Mon- Fri and 8-1 on Sunday which would total the same (to start out with.. I maybe end up making adjustments). The v25 part answered my question on how successful you were lol

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:48 pm

kahechsof wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Including class.
9-7 on Monday-Thursday.
9-3 or so on Friday.
10-7 on sunday.

55 hours a week at a v25? trololol?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
kahechsof wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Including class.
9-7 on Monday-Thursday.
9-3 or so on Friday.
10-7 on sunday.

55 hours a week at a v25? trololol?
On average?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:56 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:

Lol, this I know but also every other person will be experiencing this for the first time which you implied was a major disadvantage to me.

I understand I need to develop a system on HOW to study and hell I may be making a thread asking for advice for that in September, my question is about me thinking of a general schedule.

If needed I could easily study M-F 8-8 and 9 hours on Sunday (I probably do need to work some on Saturday).
I am not saying it will be a disadvantage for you; merely that your previous test taking skills are not an advantage.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:24 pm

I goto CCN, lived about an hour away from campus, and did well enough 1L year to land myself in the top third of the class.

I'm a very technical/science-y background and I can figure out standardized tests but I suck at law school type exams, so I definitely am not one of those people who can study very little and get by in law school. Here was my schedule (times are all rough estimates) during the semester:

Mon-Thurs:
6:30am - wake up, work out
8:00am - head to campus, eat grab a bagel/muffin before class
9:00am-10:30am - Class
10:30am-2:00pm - Study in library, take a 30-minute lunch break
1:30pm-4:30pm - Class
4:30pm-8:30pm - Go home, cook dinner, watch some TV, relax
8:30pm-11:30pm - Study

Fridays: usually just stayed home and studied since I didn't have classes, probably put in ~5-6 hours of productive work.
Saturdays: usually put in 2-3 hours in the morning (I'm a college football fan so I kept the afternoons open).
Sundays: 5-6 hours in the morning and early afternoon, relax at night.

Total class time/study time probably added up to around 50-55 hours per week.

Then around 3 weeks before exams I'd study ALOT harder--around 10 hours a day everyday of the week.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:12 pm

So the general consensus appears to be that my strategy of (now adjusted to) about 55 hours a week on a non-final time week will probably be sufficient (granted I study correctly).

If so this is encouraging, I'm willing to study 80 hours a week but was becoming semi-worried about my sanity. Putting in a 55 hour "work week" really isn't that bad at all imo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 am

Rock Chalk wrote:It's probably good that you want to set a schedule early to keep yourself disciplined, but in the beginning of the semester there's just not enough relevant studying to occupy that schedule IMO. Studying a lot when you don't really need to might cause you to burn out right when you need to ramp it up. If you enjoy the free time while you have it, it won't suck as much when it all hits the fan.

Also, I think it's a great idea to keep a day to yourself (or at least the majority of one). I do the same thing and I think it keeps me sane.
Knowing myself I have to have some schedule. I'm not a person who has ever really devoted much time to studying anything (before the LSAT that is). Yea, I agree if there's nothing productive for me to do I'll just go home... I'm sure there will be times where I can cut this short / times where I have to extend this, just wanted a general schedule that is adjustable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”