Law School and Relationships Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
africaforlife

New

Law School and Relationships

Post by africaforlife » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey, so I have heard a lot about people who enter law school in a relationship only to see those end rather quickly and in distressing fashion. Are there any folks out there who can shed some light on this - either positive stories about relationships that survived or negative ones about those that did not? What are the unique pressures that made it hard to sustain your relationship if it did not work and what would you recommend if it did work?

Thanks for your thoughts/insights!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Law School and Relationships

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:27 pm

africaforlife wrote:Hey, so I have heard a lot about people who enter law school in a relationship only to see those end rather quickly and in distressing fashion. Are there any folks out there who can shed some light on this - either positive stories about relationships that survived or negative ones about those that did not? What are the unique pressures that made it hard to sustain your relationship if it did not work and what would you recommend if it did work?

Thanks for your thoughts/insights!
wait, do you mean entering law school and having a long distance relationship w/ someone you've been seeing prior to law school? or entering and starting up a relationship w/ a classmate? there are so many variables here, not sure what you're looking for. for a lot of people, law school is stressful and a lot of pressure/work the first semester -- that can obviously weigh on a relationship. but it isnt some magical relationship killer that just comes out of nowhere because of something extremely specific to the study of law. only WoW is special like that ive heard :P

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Use the search function. We have talked about this a lot.

foxtrottortxof

New

Post by foxtrottortxof » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:30 pm

My relationship and the relationships of about 6-7 people I know all survived. I don't know of anyone who had an existing relationship that didn't. It's tough, but manage expectations and communicate--if you can't last through law school, you wouldn't have lasted long once you had started working.

africaforlife

New

Post by africaforlife » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Thank you and sorry for posting a topic that's already been discussed. I don't get on here much but I found a previous thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 am

there r always hot girls in law school in your class, get one of those instead

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:there r always hot girls in law school in your class, get one of those instead

No. Just no.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:there r always hot girls in law school in your class, get one of those instead
is your definition of hot 'alive'?

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:09 am

really? there r no pretty girls in ur sections? cause there r a couple pretty ones in my section, not a lot, but still

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:really? there r no pretty girls in ur sections? cause there r a couple pretty ones in my section, not a lot, but still
Where do you go?

And, the separation between pretty and hot is quite a distance.

But no, TCR is that law school girls < most other girls on campus.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:00 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:really? there r no pretty girls in ur sections? cause there r a couple pretty ones in my section, not a lot, but still
Where do you go?

yeah well, undergrad is prettier, but doesn't mean there aint any in law school, don't see any smoking hot ones, but there are pretty and hot ones around, pretty sure u'd face heavy competition to get em, but hey, u r in law school

UT1502

New

Post by UT1502 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:14 pm

I was in a long-term relationship of about 2 years before starting, and we're still together and fine (so far as I know). From my study group, another kid was in a long-term relationship with his girlfriend, and they're still together; another was in the same, and they split within about 3 weeks. I can think of several others that split within about 6 weeks, and several that started things up a couple of weeks into class, most of which have split, some of which haven't. That is to say, just about like relationships in the rest of the world.

I will say that I can't think of a relationship that started while people were in UG that lasted when one party started law school. You get used to spending a certain amount of time with your significant other, and that's not going to be the same in UG and law school, unless you don't like good grades. But then, I'm not sure I can think of a relationship that started in UG that's still going on now that the parties have graduated, either. The thing is just that most relationships end, and people blame it law school, or work, or whatever.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Where do you go?

yeah well, undergrad is prettier, but doesn't mean there aint any in law school, don't see any smoking hot ones, but there are pretty and hot ones around, pretty sure u'd face heavy competition to get em, but hey, u r in law school
Stupid troll is stupid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:22 pm

120, broseph stalin

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Where do you go?

Stupid troll is stupid.
how is that trolling?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:54 pm

PSA: Always do the opposite of what Jah'rakal tells you to do and you'll be fine.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:56 pm

soj wrote:PSA: Always do the opposite of what Jah'rakal tells you to do and you'll be fine.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:00 pm

I mean, theres some really good looking girls at my LS. Way more than I thought thered be.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:01 pm

soj wrote:PSA: Always do the opposite of what Jah'rakal tells you to do and you'll be fine.
:D

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:08 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I mean, theres some really good looking girls at my LS. Way more than I thought thered be.
This is the exception, not the rule. Where do you go? I hear Hawaii and Florida Coastal have hot girls... :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”