Do I stand a chance? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Chitown312

New

Do I stand a chance?

Post by Chitown312 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi All-

I'm 30 years old with about 6 years of professional experience in the IT consulting/staffing world, and I have my own company that employs 10 consultants who are here on their H-1B VISAS. I've been actively involved with the law firm we retained for the filing of my employee's Visas, Visa Renewals, and their Green Cards. I've recently determined that I'd really like to become an Immigration Lawyer. Couple of questions:

1- Am I too old to go to law school? I've noticed a lot of the information I've read online is guided towards current undergrad students, which makes me think most people go straight from undergrad to law school.

2- My ideal situation would be to work with an immigration firm focusing on IT/Engineering professionals, as I have a technical background. Is this TOO specific of a goal?

3- How bad is the legal job market for recent grads at the moment?

Thanks in advance!

plaintiff-appellee

New

Re: Do I stand a chance?

Post by plaintiff-appellee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Chitown312 wrote:Hi All-

I'm 30 years old with about 6 years of professional experience in the IT consulting/staffing world, and I have my own company that employs 10 consultants who are here on their H-1B VISAS. I've been actively involved with the law firm we retained for the filing of my employee's Visas, Visa Renewals, and their Green Cards. I've recently determined that I'd really like to become an Immigration Lawyer. Couple of questions:

1- Am I too old to go to law school? I've noticed a lot of the information I've read online is guided towards current undergrad students, which makes me think most people go straight from undergrad to law school.

2- My ideal situation would be to work with an immigration firm focusing on IT/Engineering professionals, as I have a technical background. Is this TOO specific of a goal?

3- How bad is the legal job market for recent grads at the moment?

Thanks in advance!
1. I spent eight years in IT before going to law school at 30. There are many students at my school who are my age or older and several have good grades, are on law review, etc. So I wouldn't worry about being too old. A better question is whether going to law school and being a lawyer is what you really want to do.

2. That's a very specific goal. Are you willing to do something else while you try to work your way into that niche? Why do you want to go to law school? What don't you like about your current job? You might as well come up with answers to these questions now, because you will be asked them again and again in job interviews.

3. How certain are you that you can get great grades? If you don't get great grades, how do feel about working in shit law? Take a look at some of the threads on this web site where students who struck out at OCI explore other options. Most of the other options start with the number 4. E.g. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=166368

Return to “Ask a Law Student”