What to do about LOR Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
UMiamiCane

Bronze

What to do about LOR

Post by UMiamiCane » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I have two LORs, one from my boss of the last several years, one from an UG professor. I wanted to apply to my #1 school the day applications were accepted; however, neither LOR is ready yet (yes I asked a long time ago). My boss said she'll have hers in the next few days, but my professor has not responded to my emails since she agreed to write it (I don't think she's changed her mind, she enthusiastically accepted). If I can't get in touch with her by the end of the month, should I submit with only one LOR? I want to apply very early since I am a splitter and want the best chance of acceptance and $$.

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: What to do about LOR

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:17 pm

You can wait until mid-October and still be "very early." The first big rush of applications is around Halloween when October scores come out (and even those are early). I'd give it a few more weeks. Call or visit the prof, too; don't just rely on email.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks! I was going to call if I didn't hear from her by the end of the month. So there's not really a difference between Sept and Oct submission?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:20 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:Thanks! I was going to call if I didn't hear from her by the end of the month. So there's not really a difference between Sept and Oct submission?
Not really, no. They're still very early.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Okay, thanks! I'm not sure what to do if I can't get in touch with her at all(I don't live in the same town anymore), but I guess I'll cross the bridge if I come to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:27 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:Okay, thanks! I'm not sure what to do if I can't get in touch with her at all(I don't live in the same town anymore), but I guess I'll cross the bridge if I come to it.
Actually, you should probably start crossing that bridge before then, because "when you come to it" is too late. Start looking for another UG prof to write a letter. Even profs who don't necessarily remember you will frequently be willing. You might have to provide them with info on the class you took from them and your grade, and maybe send them your transcript and a paper you wrote in their class.

You NEED an academic letter. If that first one falls through in a month, you'll really have to scramble.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:01 pm

You NEED an academic letter. If that first one falls through in a month, you'll really have to scramble.
What if I'm 6 years out of undergrad? Would it be more understandable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”