'W' on transcript Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kekepania

New

'W' on transcript

Post by kekepania » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Last year, my first year in my graduate program, I took a biochemistry class (unrelated to my masters) because I was still contemplating going to medical school. A few weeks into the semester, my mom got hurt, my responsibilities at home increased significantly, and I was just too tired to commit myself to the biochemistry class while also completing my masters classes and working part-time. I ended up withdrawing from the class.

Obviously this doesn't affect my GPA and I have read that grad school GPA doesn't matter anyway, but admissions still looks at my transcript right? Do you think the W will have a negative effect?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: 'W' on transcript

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Schools won't care. A single W is kind of normal. Lots of people drop a class along the way and do just fine.

firecracker10

New

Post by firecracker10 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I can't believe that you are worried about one single "W"...they won't care.

kekepania

New

Post by kekepania » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Sorry, I'm anal and paranoid :oops: It's useless to worry about it anyway...it's not like I can change it.

I guess I never really thought about how many people do withdraw from classes. I know many people drop within the first few weeks, during the no penalty period, but I just figured less people would when a W would appear on their transcript.

Thank you!

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:39 pm

as long as you don't have like 5 Ws or something, no one will even notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 pm

dkt4 wrote:as long as you don't have like 5 Ws or something, no one will even notice.
I think I had about six on my transcript...freshman and sophomore year were really fun. I still got in everywhere my GPA/LSAT were competitive, and was WL'd or dinged at my reach schools. Didn't seem to affect my cycle at all.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:50 pm

okay, maybe more :)

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I had 2 W's and a couple P/NP grades.

Columbia didn't seem to care.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:33 pm

I hope some can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think law schools see your graduate transcript, only undergraduate. They only see the GPA number for graduate programs, and even that doesn't matter too much (as long as its not drastically lower).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kekepania

New

Post by kekepania » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Well, I have read that graduate school grades don't count in LSDAS app, but I still have to have my transcript sent. Also, I took summer classes during undergrad at the same school I am doing my masters at, so all my grades will be on the transcript anyway.

firecracker10

New

Post by firecracker10 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I have an MBA and finished that with a 4.0...and guess what? Law schools don't care about that. All they care about is your UGPA and LSAT--PERIOD.

Bittner1989

New

Post by Bittner1989 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Bringing up an old thread, but I'm kind of worried about this, as I am seriously considering withdrawing from a class right now, bringing my total up to 3. However, the first two Withdraws were from classes I should have never taken (Korean 101....in a class full of native Korean speakers for the easy A and a 300-level Psychology class when I haven't taken a Psych class since high school)

The third one is for a more serious class related to my major, but spending a bunch of time on my LSAT studies threw me way behind on the course.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”