Cold Feet: Defer/Reapply or Attend? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
crossarmant

Silver

Cold Feet: Defer/Reapply or Attend?

Post by crossarmant » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 am

So, I'm all registered for the Fall at Rutgers-Camden with scholly money + in-state and family legal connections in South Jersey... but am getting cold feet about moving and attending in a week and a half.

It's not an issue of not wanting to be a lawyer, I've worked in the field for two years and have a slew of WE relative to it. I know that I want to go to law school and have substance experience to back up my desires unlike a lot of people. I just keep playing the "what ifs" in my head about my application process.

My GPA was a 2.3 and my LSAT was a 160, I know that I just have to grimace and bear my GPA but I feel like I could've done better with my LSAT. I didn't really study and if I retook and scored higher I may get into a school with better career prospects. But I also feel like Rutgers places really well around South Jersey/Philly and it's reasonably priced. There's also a part of me that worries that even if I take a year off, retake the LSAT and even got a 170+ I still couldn't do too much better in terms of schools due to my near failing GPA. I'm open to pretty much all non-NYC northeast or the PacNW.

I think attending Rutgers would probably be the best idea and to just devote myself single-mindedly to excelling but I can't help but wonder the what-ifs. What do you guys suggest?
Last edited by crossarmant on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

IamJosh

New

Re: Cold Feet: Defer/Reapply or Attend?

Post by IamJosh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:21 am

My advice isn't worth much, so keep that in mind--but it seems like if you re-took and got a 170, your best case scenario is going to another, slightly better, school that will still be primarily regional, but possibly without $$$, in-state tuition, or the family connections. So basically, you'd lose everything that would make it worth going to Rutgers and gain... well, I'm not sure what you'd gain. I think the only thing that would make it worth waiting is if you have your heart set on a really specific place and you could get into a school that would place very well there. Those variables would be for you to plug in though.

What do your connections think? If you do well at Rutgers, are they willing to help you find work? And would you be happy in that area if they are?

If I'm you, I go to Rutgers, since you're sure you want to be a lawyer.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Go to RU-Camden.

Its one of the best values out there and will place extremely well in its region. In fact, I've heard stories of T30 grads being passed up by Rutgers alumni due to the zealous loyalty to Rutgers in New Jersey. Job prospects are pretty solid compared to others and with your connections, you'll do okay. If you were looking to break into New York, I'd tell you to retake. However, for South Jersey, RU-Camden is hard to beat.

Focus on placing near the top of your class and you'll have a bright future ahead of you.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:05 pm

See if there are many splitters with 2.3s at schools like WUSTL and IU et al. If so, retaking might be a good idea, but with a sub 2.5, there aren't many schools that will look at you, regardless of LSAT score

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Go to Rutgers, and kick butt! Good luck from a soon to be 1L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

retake

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm

shoeshine wrote:retake
My initial response, but I'm not sure it would do a lot of good

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 pm

For what? NU isn't going to bite with a 2.3. It will be extremely difficult to do better. Rutgers Camden is an extremely well respected school in the region. Loyalty to RU is scary in that area. If you say retake what would be Op's options with say a 170?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:03 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
For what? NU isn't going to bite with a 2.3. It will be extremely difficult to do better. Rutgers Camden is an extremely well respected school in the region. Loyalty to RU is scary in that area. If you say retake what would be Op's options with say a 170?
I just browsed through LSN; with a 170 there seems to be like a 25% chance of getting into UMinn, WUSTL, W&L, Wake, and maybe a few other T1s, but all in areas I have no interest in being. The only schools that it'd seem to help with that I'd be interested in attending would be CU-Boulder, UConn, and GWU (with a very low chance), but they all place about the same in their respective markets as RU-C (Except GW). Though the risk always runs that I retake and get the same-ish score and am stuck where I was, except a year older. Hmmm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Go to Rutgers; there's always a better what-if.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:05 pm

I think getting cold feet at this point is natural. But there's a reason you chose Rutgers Camden in the first place, so try to focus on that and how excited you were when you first received your acceptance and started planning for law school. What ifs will drive you crazy.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks for your input. Confirmed attendance with the Bursar today, so I'm locked in. I really have not heard negatives about it (Other than being in Camden) and it seems to be one of the best T2s in terms of career placement. I'll just bust my ass as hard as humanly possible and hope for the long-shot 4.0

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”