How Much Does Having A "Connection" Help In Big Law? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SLS_AMG

Bronze

How Much Does Having A "Connection" Help In Big Law?

Post by SLS_AMG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 pm

How much would having, say, a distant relative help in getting an interview/offer at a big firm?

puppylaw

New

Re: How Much Does Having A "Connection" Help In Big Law?

Post by puppylaw » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:02 pm

It sounds like could be huge for getting you an interview if your connection wants to help, but after that you'll more or less have to get the offer on your own.

Many firms have rules against nepotism to avoid problems with this.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:How much would having, say, a distant relative help in getting an interview/offer at a big firm?

Who do you know? What influence does she have at the firm? A practice area head?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:25 pm

This is an impossible question to answer. It all depends on the particular firm, the influence this person has there, and what he or she is willing to do for you. If the "connection" is a junior associate who will simply say good things about you to the recruiting chick, that's probably not going to help much. On the other hand, if the connection is a partner with millions of dollars in business who serves on the hiring committee and will tell everyone that you deserve a job there, then you're probably in great shape.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 pm

I have a number of connections with law school faculty and nothing helped for my own son. I know a federal judge who couldn't get his kid into a T14 law school. Perhaps if you knew well the dean of admission or dean of the law school, you might have a better shot. Of course, giving a million++ or more to a university might very well result in a much lower bar for the donor's kids.

The problem is that most law schools admit by committee. It would be a very hard sale, not to mention politically unpopular, to force a kid down the committee's throats without one heck of a reason besides family connections. A LOT of money is the only think that I think would sway a committee or admission office.
Last edited by taxguy on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Relative partner or associate?

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Master Tofu wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:How much would having, say, a distant relative help in getting an interview/offer at a big firm?

Who do you know? What influence does she have at the firm? A practice area head?
It would be a partner. I don't think he is a hiring partner, but definitely a partner who has been at the firm for a long while.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Interview? Hugely helpful. Offer? Not unless you've actually worked for them and managed to impress at least one other person (usually). Of course you can always nail the interview, and unless you have a really bad resume, there's no reason they'd actually be prejudiced against you.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:10 pm

taxguy wrote:I have a number of connections with law school faculty and nothing helped for my own son. I know a federal judge who couldn't get his kid into a T14 law school. Perhaps if you knew well the dean of admission or dean of the law school, you might have a better shot. Of course, giving a million++ or more to a university might very well result in a much lower bar for the donor's kids.

The problem is that most law schools admit by committee. It would be a very hard sale, not to mention politically unpopular, to force a kid down the committee's throats without one heck of a reason besides family connections. A LOT of money is the only think that I think would sway a committee or admission office.
Tax guy you are always entertaining (even if you say the same thing over and over). I don't think you read the OP correctly. This is about getting into Big Law not a t-14. The process for getting into a law school is very different from getting into big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”