What to wear in law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
AreJay711

Gold

Re: What to wear in law school?

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm

northwood wrote:i wear jeans at work- and steel toed boots. Im pretty comfortable in them, so ill probably wear them at school

plus- those boots are a source of motivation for me.. I dont want to go back to that job.
You must not be doing much work then if you'd wear your work boots out in public.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Personally, I see no reason to wear jeans unless you are doing work or a t-shirt unless you are going to the gym.
For me, the key is the laziness:

1. Wake up.
2. Dig through pile of clean laundry.
3. Put on first shirt and first pair of pants available.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Wear whatever the fuck you want.

What is wrong with you people?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Wear whatever the fuck you want.

What's wrong with you cockboy?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Verity wrote:

LOL @ cockboy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:03 pm

chimp wrote:
Verity wrote:

LOL @ cockboy
Yeah, having a hard time taking that as an insult.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:07 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Yeah, having a hard time taking that as an insult.

Shut up cockboy.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Verity wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Yeah, having a hard time taking that as an insult.

Shut up cockboy.
Repeating yourself without proper grammar doesn't make it any less hilarious.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:40 pm

I was wondering how this was four pages long and then I saw the "cockboy" exchange and it made sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:59 pm

cockboy. lmao

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Good thing you guys are talking about cockboy and not boycock. The FBI might have something to say about the latter.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Personally, I see no reason to wear jeans unless you are doing work or a t-shirt unless you are going to the gym but people will always ask why I wear button downs and khakis / chinos. It is a personal thing but I'm not going to pretend I'm about to go work a construction job when I'm not. I used to have to dress that way all the time for work and like looking nice now. If you don't like dressing nice you will fit right in though.

Depends on the kind of jeans and the kind of t-shirt. Obviously, dirty 15-20 dollar jeans with holes in them (from wear and tear) and a shitty t-shirt that you've had since middle school band class might be ridiculous. But for the most part, people don't wear rugged jeans or t-shirts out in public : people wear nice ones that they got from American Eagle or whatever. Jeans and T shirt doesn't mean construction worker/laborer anymore. But I feel you on the khaki/ button down thing though. It's nice to dress up for a change every now and then. However, most days it will be jeans and a t-shirt. When it's cold I plan on wearing a hoodie to class almost every day just like I had in undergrad. Not just any hoodie, though. I plan on wearing my 70 dollar under-armour one. Get it straight bitches.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:27 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Personally, I see no reason to wear jeans unless you are doing work or a t-shirt unless you are going to the gym but people will always ask why I wear button downs and khakis / chinos. It is a personal thing but I'm not going to pretend I'm about to go work a construction job when I'm not. I used to have to dress that way all the time for work and like looking nice now. If you don't like dressing nice you will fit right in though.

Depends on the kind of jeans and the kind of t-shirt. Obviously, dirty 15-20 dollar jeans with holes in them (from wear and tear) and a shitty t-shirt that you've had since middle school band class might be ridiculous. But for the most part, people don't wear rugged jeans or t-shirts out in public : people wear nice ones that they got from American Eagle or whatever. Jeans and T shirt doesn't mean construction worker/laborer anymore. But I feel you on the khaki/ button down thing though. It's nice to dress up for a change every now and then. However, most days it will be jeans and a t-shirt. When it's cold I plan on wearing a hoodie to class almost every day just like I had in undergrad. Not just any hoodie, though. I plan on wearing my 70 dollar under-armour one. Get it straight bitches.
No one cares how much your clothes cost.

Also, come to the west coast, where our millionaires are just as likely to be wearing that middle school band t-shirt as our homeless dudes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Lol and that's the thing that gets me though -- not about you all but in general -- that people pay more for a t-shirt and jeans than I do for a button down and khakis but then are like "Why do you always dress up?" The only other time that it is acceptable to me is when going out and that is just so as not to defeat the point.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:31 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
Point Taken
Also, come to the west coast, where our millionaires are just as likely to be wearing that middle school band t-shirt as our homeless dudes.
That seems more a strike against the West Cost than against what he said.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:40 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

+100000

so cal has so many unsuspecting millionaires and billionaires. out here... it's more like if you brag about how much money you have and try hard to look like you have money(excluding celebrities when they're being filmed)... you probably don't!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 pm

If I have to iron it, hand-wash it, air-dry it, dryclean it, or treat it differently than a cotton t-shirt in any way, I can pretty much guarantee I won't be wearing it to class unless there's a specific event happening that requires me to not look like a lazy college student.

comfort & convenience >>>>>>>>>>> style, 99.5% of the time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:36 pm

U mad bro cause I'm stylin' on you? :)
Also, come to the west coast, where our millionaires are just as likely to be wearing that middle school band t-shirt as our homeless dudes
Actually that's one thing I didn't like about Berkeley. This guy on the streets struck up a conversation with me and I literally thought he was homeless, very nice, but homeless. I told him I was trying to get to the law school and he told me he could show me where it was because his brother and father went to Boalt. It turns out he was a Berkeley undergrad. True story.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:56 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Also, come to the west coast, where our millionaires are just as likely to be wearing that middle school band t-shirt as our homeless dudes
Actually that's one thing I didn't like about Berkeley. This guy on the streets struck up a conversation with me and I literally thought he was homeless, very nice, but homeless. I told him I was trying to get to the law school and he told me he could show me where it was because his brother and father went to Boalt. It turns out he was a Berkeley undergrad he was a tenured professor on his way to class. True story.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 pm

EarlCat wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Actually that's one thing I didn't like about Berkeley. This guy on the streets struck up a conversation with me and I literally thought he was homeless, very nice, but homeless. I told him I was trying to get to the law school and he told me he could show me where it was because his brother and father went to Boalt. It turns out he was a Berkeley undergrad he was a tenured professor on his way to class. True story.
LOL!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:26 am

7 Jeans is TCR.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:13 am

There's only two sides of the coin here: if you're not used to dressing up, you can use law school as preparation for the business-formal legal world. Otherwise, you can use law school as a last chance to not give a shit about appearance.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:59 am

lucield wrote:I've been grappling with this question myself, and I'm not really sure what to do...

I'm starting law school this fall, and everything I've read on the forums suggests 90% of people in law school wear "regular" clothes (i e jeans, a shirt, etc) and that most people think the idea of dressing a certain way in law school is not necessary and even somewhat ridiculous.

That's actually not a big deal to me, I do agree that law school ideally should be different from undergraduate in mentality, and perhaps this should be reflected in dress, but if one wants to dress however they feel comfortable, that's fine.

My problem is that I enjoy "dressing up" aka I like suits, ties, the whole nine yards. Unfortunately, I was born in the wrong era, I should have ideally gone to UG and law school some time before the late 1960's, and I would have fit in. I actually just..... like the way suits/ties/etc look, and while to some degree part of my motivation to dress that way is definitely tied to "dressing standards" 70% of the motivation is just because I like how it looks and it makes me feel more confident. (no, I don't need clothes to feel confident, I just said "more" confident).

I don't plan to wear suits or anything in law school, but I was thinking a sports coat, tie, khahkis, and loafers - while definitely more dressy than 99% of the class, wouldn't be overdressed to the point of being completely ridiculous. I'm a pretty friendly and approachable guy, I started dressing like that in college and my friends think I'm crazy, but they all stuck around. Can I hope for a repeat in law school? For what it's worth, I think half the reason people got over it was because they saw I was self-confident enough to outlast all the jokes.

This post is ridiculous, but it's a genuine question I've been thinking about. If law school is different, that's fine, cause haters always gonna hate.
More confident or just super trendy? (maybe a little of both) but yeah you are definitely not the only one rocking the ivy look there are like a million blogs dedicated to it. Guess it depends on where you were in UG but for me at least 20% of the guys in each class dressed this way once it became cool. Not hating I'm just not cool enough to pull it off.

Edited to say that if you are going to law school at an ivy league and rocking the ivy look it might seem a little pretentious. If you're doing it at NYU you'll probably fit right in haha

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Have snuggies been mentioned yet? If not...

Snuggies.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 pm

ahduth wrote:Have snuggies been mentioned yet? If not...

Snuggies.
I actually saw people wear snuggies to class this past year...not joking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”