NC Central- National Prestige? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cmartin5970

New

NC Central- National Prestige?

Post by cmartin5970 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 pm

I am considering going to NC Central for law school. I have a 3.5 GPA from UNC-Chapel Hill and just got a 163 on the LSAT. I have talked to a few judges and lawyers in north carolina and they have all said great things about NC Central and have recommended me going there or at least look into it. I am really interested in civil rights and want to do something in that field and with the price of NC Central compared to other law schools it sounds pretty hard to turn down to me. I was just hoping if I could get some opinions on what people have heard about NC Central and its reputation, if it has one, across the country.

Any input you give me would be really appreciated

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: NC Central- National Prestige?

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Since you're considering going to NC Central, an HBCU, I'm assuming you're African-American. If that's the case, you can get into significantly better schools than NCCU with plenty of scholarship money.

Bronze

:

Post by 06162014123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:58 pm

I
Last edited by 06162014123 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 pm

I'm actually white, but just really interested in the field of civil rights. I actually wondered if I could possibly get a minority scholarship since it is an HBCU

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 pm

What is an NC central?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Why don't you just go to UNC. Are you from NC? If you are you'll easily get in. Check out places like Wake; they'll give you a nice enough offer with your numbers.

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 pm

ran12 wrote:Why don't you just go to UNC. Are you from NC? If you are you'll easily get in. Check out places like Wake; they'll give you a nice enough offer with your numbers.
This...in at UNC, possibly with $, in at Wake w $$

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:This...in at UNC, possibly with $, in at Wake w $$
A bit optimistic, i think. A 163 puts him right at median for unc, so im not sure its guarenteed he will get much money. Nevertheless, his in state status means that he'll graduate with less than 100k in debt so thats a good option. At any rate titcr is to not go to nc central. It has a reputation, but only in nc, and even that rep is not that good.

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:06 am

This may sound bad but I do not want an extremely competitive or high paying job, and instead would rather work for a civil rights group and deal with immigration, the disabled, the elderly or something along those lines or work as a public defender or for the poor and I have seen that NC Central is ranked in the Top 25 for Public Interest law schools. Would you all still recommend UNC or Wake over NCCU if that is my career goals?

I am already in debt for undergrad so cost is another pretty big factor for me as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 am

cmartin5970 wrote:This may sound bad but I do not want an extremely competitive or high paying job
Well, about a third of law grads these days aren't getting any job in the legal sector. You feelin' lucky?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 am

cmartin5970 wrote:I'm actually white, but just really interested in the field of civil rights. I actually wondered if I could possibly get a minority scholarship since it is an HBCU
I see what you're doing.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 am

flame

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 am

--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 am

NYCbound35 wrote:
ran12 wrote:Why don't you just go to UNC. Are you from NC? If you are you'll easily get in. Check out places like Wake; they'll give you a nice enough offer with your numbers.
Go to UNC. In-state tuition is manageable and you'll do well in NC. You'll have a slew more opportunities there than you will at NC Central. You have T1 numbers and it'd suck to see you go to a TTTT. You can graduate UNC with low enough debt and UNC has a good enough name across the SE that you won't be locked into the 5 square miles that NC Central would leave you. That and did you SEE the employment figures from NC Central?!

edgarfigaro

Bronze

Post by edgarfigaro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:47 am

In terms of your choices in NC, it should be UNC>Wake>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cambell/Central>>>Elon>Charlotte

Seriously, you should be in at either UNC or Wake, if not both. Choosing Central over either is extremely misguided.

Of course, Central to its credit is extremely cheap, so if you don't finish in the top 5%, at least your debt load won't be massive.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:40 am

cmartin5970 wrote:I am considering going to NC Central for law school. I have a 3.5 GPA from UNC-Chapel Hill and just got a 163 on the LSAT. I have talked to a few judges and lawyers in north carolina and they have all said great things about NC Central and have recommended me going there or at least look into it. I am really interested in civil rights and want to do something in that field and with the price of NC Central compared to other law schools it sounds pretty hard to turn down to me. I was just hoping if I could get some opinions on what people have heard about NC Central and its reputation, if it has one, across the country.

Any input you give me would be really appreciated
Assuming this is true, going to a school outside of the top 14 is absolutely retarded.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized you were white. But still NCCU is probably not the best choice if prestige is a factor. Not to disparage the school, just saying you have much better options.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:40 am

edgarfigaro wrote:In terms of your choices in NC, it should be UNC>Wake>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cambell/Central>>>Elon>Charlotte
Something's missing...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 pm

If you're looking for prestige, then NCCU clearly isn't the best choice. However, it is respectable in NC and I have heard of non AAs getting minority scholarships at HBCUs in NC, so definitely look into it. Even without the scholarship, their tuition and the cost of living in the area make it a very good choice for what you want to do. You'd probably be stuck in NC for a couple years though.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:51 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:
wrong. more likely in at UNC, and in at Wake. no $ from either, which means go to UNC cause it is incredibly cheap for in-state kids.

There are a decent amount of central grads in judicial positions throughout the state, but it has absolutely no national prestige.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 pm

quakeroats wrote:
edgarfigaro wrote:In terms of your choices in NC, it should be UNC>Wake>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cambell/Central>>>Elon>Charlotte
Something's missing...
Truth. Word is, though, the missing school doesn't place as well in NC as the state's flagship university does.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:20 pm

yinz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Something's missing...
Truth. Word is, though, the missing school doesn't place as well in NC as the state's flagship university does.
Still, I'd like his odds working in civil rights from that school over any of the ones mentioned.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 pm

yinz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Something's missing...
Those who want North Carolina can get it. Most of us are from out of state and don't plan to stay. We've got a sizable NC contingent, and I haven't heard of anyone having problems (except of course those at the bottom of the class without ties).

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 am

RedShift wrote:It has no national prestige.
This

and
androstan wrote:flame
This

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... hrower.jpg

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:05 am

Even though you admit you aren't overly concerned with making money after graduation I would view it like this. Why settle for a lesser school when you could probably get great money for Campbell and probably at least a scholarship at Wake/UNC. Handling low cost immigration/civil rights issues are things you can do with a JD from anywhere, why not set yourself up so that if you do need to make more money or want to make more money you can?

edgarfigaro

Bronze

Post by edgarfigaro » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:26 am

quakeroats wrote:
yinz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Something's missing...
Those who want North Carolina can get it. Most of us are from out of state and don't plan to stay. We've got a sizable NC contingent, and I haven't heard of anyone having problems (except of course those at the bottom of the class without ties).
Wasn't Duke trolling, he's just not getting in there being below both 25 percentiles. Hence the "your choices."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”