. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Re: Help! Dilemma Pursuing Two Bachelor's for Law School!

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:28 pm

If you take these classes only 1 or two at a time and really gun the shit out of them you'll do fine. It's when you take 4 or maybe even 5 of them at once when it becomes unmanageable. Especially if you are good at math you should do fine.

But if you are absolutely set on a top 3 law school, what are you getting an engineering degree for anyway?

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:54 pm

HYPSM wrote:Hello!

I go to a school that offers a 3-2 or 4-1 program. In other words, I can graduate with a liberal arts degree in 3 or 4 years and get an Engineering degree/Bachelor of Science degree in 1 or 2 years AFTER my first Bachelor's.

Here's the dilemma:

I'm going for a notoriously easy major that I am genuinely interested in for my first BA. High GPA for my first BA: Set. The thing is, WHILE I'm taking classes for my first BA, I also have to take Calculus I,II,III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Physics, Chem, Bio and all that jazz for my BS. (My strongest subject in HS was Math, and I did win a bunch of Calc awards, got 800 on SAT's, etc. but I'm not confident in my abilities. Everybody here has that.) I don't care how smart I am, I'm bound to do more poorly for my BS then my BA, and the classes I take for my BS might lower my GPA.

I have no idea how my GPA will be calculated.

I know the grades for my first BA will be counted, but I will also be taking classes for my BS BEFORE getting my first BA, and I'm not sure what would happen to my LSAC GPA if I got shit grades for my BS.

I'm looking at top 3 LS btw.

Anyways, thanks for you time. I'm a bit of a noob, I know. I appreciate it.

Do you have any interest in patent law?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:01 pm

HYPSM wrote:@Desert Fox, thanks for the prompt reply! Truth is, I'm kind of interested in IP. Also, the engineering degree will be more prestigious than my BA. (Does this matter btw if I'm set on law school, though?) I am guaranteed the BS if my GPA is 3.0+, which is an easy/SWEET deal. Plus, I would like to keep my options open and use it as a back-up. Still, I'm pretty set on law despite the discouragements from the people around me.

I don't know if I should pursue it or not as of now...but I want to. If it's going to eff up my chances for top 3, forget it.

So you are implying that the classes I take for the BS will be counted for my LSAC GPA, right? Btw, taking the classes during the summer would be a good idea -- correct?
Any class you take before you earn your degree counts. Be careful to find out that you are actually given your BA before you start your BS. Because if they award both at the end, they will all count.

The engineering degree probably won't help you get into law school, but if you do something like EE, ME, CS it'll help you get jobs in patent law.

If you aren't sure about law, school, I'd recommend the engineering degree. Just work your ass off. It takes a lot of dedication to do well. But if you do, engineering can be very lucrative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”