LSAC GPA Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Diamond

Re: LSAC GPA

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

tberk89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
tberk89 wrote:And typically when people speak in absolutes, they are wrong.
Then don't ask for help.

People speaking in absolutes isn't equivalent to people speaking... So me expecting a little bit better of an answer than "trends don't matter" without anything substantiating it isn't too much too ask in my humble opinion. I wasn't trying to be a douche, I just wanted a little more information, that is all.
If you say that you are applying to medical schools, but you got a C in biology and one of the primary things medical schools look at is grades in your biology classes, and I simply respond, "they only care about the grades, nothing else matters", that wouldn't really be sufficient to you, I would hope. Now that may be the case, but it is the case for particular reasons. All I wanted was the reasons why the conclusion is true, not reasons for it not being true.
Maybe we are being a little too hard, because the way law schools do it is stupid. It's a really stupid way of measuring students, but they seemingly do it anyway.

Part of the reason is that they are competing to raise their median GPA, and yours will lower theirs. But even that doesn't explain the full story, since a 3.1 = 3.6 if you are only a measuring medians.

I think one reason is that schools are lazy as shit and don't care where your GPA comes out to.

It's a stupid policy but all schools seem to follow it.

If I were you I'd 1)try to get retroactive widthrawal, 2) apply to schools who'd be in your target range if you never got those F's 3) Write a short and to the point addendum saying what happened 4) be prepared to only get into schools you would if you had a 3.1

tberk89

New

Post by tberk89 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 pm

I completely understand that! And like I said, I am not trying to be a prick or to cause an argument thread. I just wanted to know the reasons behind the statement.

I do appreciate every who tried to help. The website was extremely helpful and showed me that LSAC GPA can be greatly overpowered by a good LSAT score. If I do well on the LSAT and keep up the grade trend I am having, which will raise my LSAC GPA to around a 3.3-3.4, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting into a school like UCLA.

Thanks so much!

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Unfortunately this seems like the story of so many people, but LSAC/schools don't care.

2.8 over my first 30 hours, 3.71 over my last 54 here. Oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”