Turned down T4 for re-take, next step? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Momentum

New

Re: Turned down T4 for re-take, next step?

Post by Momentum » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:26 pm

You can't shake this St. Thomas thing can you? Here's the "U.N. Internship" your friend was talking about. (LinkRemoved) Turns out the "internship" has you go work for an uber-Catholic NGO that gathers information at the U.N. Even if it were a good internship, that is not a good reason to go to any school. Its as bad a reason to attend a school as liking the idea of "sports law" is. That St. Thomas has a sports law program does not mean they actually churn out sports agents. What it means is that the poor graduates who specialized in "sports law" will be hunting for jobs in a niche market that - realistically, considering its size - doesn't actually exist and that, even if it did, wouldn't hire anybody with a St. Thomas Law Degree anyway. If you want to stay in Miami, study hard and get into UM.

St. Thomas is a terrible law school. It needs to be made clear: this is not elitism. St. Thomas Law School is a business, and they profit off of misinformed students who dream of becoming lawyers. Your friends who currently attend the school are those students. All the good things they are telling you about STL are merely byproducts of the rationale they had to assume when taking out $200,000 in loans to pay their tuition - the STL profit. It is very, very likely they won't be working as lawyers, much less sports lawyers when they graduate. You realized the trap before sinking your life into it. Stop second guessing your decision. Stop listening to your friends who go there. Stop looking for excuses to take the easy way out. Stop wasting time. Get a 162 on the LSAT. Got to a decent school where you want to work. Get a job as a lawyer. Help your unemployed STL-graduate friends get jobs at your firm.

Seriously, this is sad now.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 pm

I can barely believe my eyes - finally someone smart enough to take the advice of TLS to retake an exam.

Let me echo the words of everyone in this thread: St. Thomas was not a worthwhile school to attend; if you ever even think about going there, you must have received a full/near-full scholarship without any stipulation.

Also, you need to prep starting right now. If you're going to pick a course, go with testmasters.net (not testmasters.com, let's be very clear about that). Tutoring's not a bad idea, but it'll run you up quite a bill. And if you're going to do this solo...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657

And lastly, please post any additional questions/concerns on this forum. Be sure to preface your post with "I took your advice and am retaking." You will be greeted by LSAT veterans eager to give you advice - the fact of the matter is that you are one of few who are receptive enough to understand the bleak fates of T4 law students.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

glewz wrote:
And lastly, please post any additional questions/concerns on this forum. Be sure to preface your post with "I took your advice and am retaking." You will be greeted by LSAT veterans eager to give you advice - the fact of the matter is that you are one of few who are receptive enough to understand the bleak fates of T4 law students.
This is good advice.

You said you have already taken 20 tests with only a small improvement.

Have you reviewed your answers? Studied why each answer was wrong or correct?

If not, do that fir five-ten tests you have already taken, don't waste fresh PTs and categorize where you are struggling. You'll get more out of a tutor that way.

Don't waste any tests. You need to revise your answers before you move on.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 pm

aclaw55 wrote:So I have been studying for my 3rd re-take preferably aiming for December. My friend who is already at STU is telling me they have Sports program with the JD and offer internships with the UN? I know this forum is very elite and high on rankings but is attending CUNY Law or New York Law really going to give better job opportunity and education over STU in Miami? The difference of a 148 LSAT to a 151-155 range which is very reasonable to jump to. Thank you for all your advice
STU ain't shit in Miami. Sorry. You'd have a better shot out of CUNY or NYL unless you already have serious ins in Miami firms. . I've lived in Miami for 15 years and didn't know St. Thomas had a law school until I read Casey Anthony's defense attorney Jose Baez went there. If you want a good shot in Miami, UF would be ideal. I know more than 1 UMiami grad currently regretting their decisions to attend law school because firms only want the top 10% from the U. Don't worry so much about getting a specific score. You have 3 months until the October test, if you study diligently with the resources on this forum you'll defiantly be able to break 160.

You made a good decision choosing to retake. A friend of mine from high school told me he just committed to Stetson... and paying full tuition. :?

EDIT: Clarity

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”