ITT: Post HORRIBLE exam stories that resulted in a B+ or bet Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bronx Bum

Bronze

ITT: Post HORRIBLE exam stories that resulted in a B+ or bet

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue May 10, 2011 11:17 pm

I'll start.

First semester had a closed book contracts exam. I thought it was on Monday but it was on Wednesday the previous week. I found out Tuesday night.Was seriously thinking of jumping out of a 4 story window and breaking every bone in my body. Did 0 reading all semester and went to class but didn't pay attention. Printed out old outline from someone the night before and memorized the fuck out of it until my exam (roughly 18 hours).

Typed furiously for 3 hours and ended up with an A-. Ironically, did all of the readings for Crim and made own outline. B+.
Last edited by Bronx Bum on Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: ITT: Post HORRIBLE exam stories that resulted in a B+

Post by BruceWayne » Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm

A B+ isn't a bad grade.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Re: ITT: Post HORRIBLE exam stories that resulted in a B+

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue May 10, 2011 11:22 pm

BruceWayne wrote:A B+ isn't a bad grade.
Should have wrote "or better".

I mean shit that went down that you could never have exprected would have resulted in a good grade.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Re: ITT: Post HORRIBLE exam stories that resulted in a B+ or bet

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, what school? If you don't want to out the school, can you give a range?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Just out of curiosity, what school? If you don't want to out the school, can you give a range?
T30.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue May 10, 2011 11:32 pm

1st semester torts. I literally ran out of time during the last question of the exam. My response?
1) switch to all caps
2) start typing in outline mode

It looks something like this. Literally it was in all caps. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to draw more attention to the fact that I was running out of time.

I'M SORRY I'M RUNNING REALLY SHORT ON TIME.. HERE'S AN OUTLINE OF THE REST
ISSUE 1
ELEMENT - SATISFIED EXPLANATION / NOT SATISFIED EXPLANATION
ELEMENT - SATISFIED EXPLANATION / NOT SATISFIED EXPLANATION
PROBABLE RESULT
ISSUE 2

Was my best exam.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Just out of curiosity, what school? If you don't want to out the school, can you give a range?
T30.
Ok cool, thanks. Do you mind if I use your brain next year?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue May 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:I'll start.

First semester had a closed book contracts exam. I thought it was on Monday but it was on Wednesday the previous week. I found out Tuesday night.Was seriously thinking of jumping out of a 4 story window and breaking every bone in my body. Did 0 reading all semester and went to class but didn't pay attention. Printed out old outline from someone the night before and memorized the fuck out of it until my exam (roughly 18 hours).

Typed furiously for 3 hours and ended up with an A-. Ironically, did all of the readings for Crim and made own outline. B+.
So you did 0 readings for a course, went to class but didn't pay attention, and only did 18 hours of rushed prep and got an A-? Are you sure you're not a genius?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue May 10, 2011 11:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:
T30.
Honestly, not that intelligent. Just DRILL the "applying law to the facts" formula in your head and you're good. It doesn't matter what the subject. If you have that template in your head, you can fill it in with facts for a few days and own all of the kids who go in without a real plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:I'll start.

So you did 0 readings for a course, went to class but didn't pay attention, and only did 18 hours of rushed prep and got an A-? Are you sure you're not a genius?
Think about it I guess: the reading would have amounted to an outline. The course discussions would have amounted to an outline. I had the outline without doing the work to make the outline. But I went in knowing the same material that the person who made the outline knew.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:40 pm

LMAO at some of the stories... I'm still hoping this will happen for me. Well, it kind of did with a Torts mid-term I took first semester. Ran out of time on the main section (only addressing half the issues) and still ended up well within A range. But this semester I thought I did well on the Crim Pro mid-term and ended up with a mid-B... Other than that though I seem to have had a fairly accurate sense of how I did on my finals last semester.. Hoping my sense is a little less acurrate this semester, because right now I feel like I could end up with straight Bs or close to it (which would considerably lower my GPA)....

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm

I finished my torts exam an hour an a half early. Everyone else struggled like crazy with time. I figured I must have forgotten pretty much everything. Turns out, I'm just an absurdly fast typer who knew my shit. A-.

And then sort of like the above users contracts thing, only I knew when the test was and studied. B+ despite getting, I think 16 points out of 90 on the first question.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 pm

1st Semester Torts.

Had a case of food poisoning the night before. Got to the exam, and it was about food manufacturing workers getting ill. So much pain. I simply regurgitated (my outline, not my stomach) onto the laptop and fell far below the expected word limit. B+

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:
T30.
Honestly, not that intelligent. Just DRILL the "applying law to the facts" formula in your head and you're good. It doesn't matter what the subject. If you have that template in your head, you can fill it in with facts for a few days and own all of the kids who go in without a real plan.
You give me hope and I salute you sir!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue May 10, 2011 11:53 pm

yngblkgifted wrote: You give me hope and I salute you sir!
FTR, I can offer some support to the idea that what Bronx Bum did is doable by mortals. I learned supplemental jurisdiction the day before the exam by just reading the E&E. Got one of the model answers on it. You'd be shocked how far just APPLYING the facts will get you. Creative arguments that tie the facts to the law escape most law students because of things like time pressure, anxiety, not understanding that this is the goal, a lack of creativity, etc.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Civ Pro.

The class met four days a week. I probably missed half a dozen sessions. When I went, I mainly played flash games. We had on-call panels so I never did the reading. I started studying two days before the final by watching the BarBri lectures and making flow charts based on Freer's explanations of the concepts.

Got an A on the test.

Moral of the story: Freer teaches the shit out of the jurisdictional concepts of Civ Pro.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed May 11, 2011 2:14 pm

TTH wrote:Civ Pro.

The class met four days a week. I probably missed half a dozen sessions. When I went, I mainly played flash games. We had on-call panels so I never did the reading. I started studying two days before the final by watching the BarBri lectures and making flow charts based on Freer's explanations of the concepts.

Got an A on the test.

Moral of the story: Freer teaches the shit out of the jurisdictional concepts of Civ Pro.
this is the truth. the barbri civpro videos were so freakin' clutch

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

fl0w wrote:

Got an A on the test.

+1

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Fingers crossed for an update here when I get my con law grade back. That was painful.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Wed May 11, 2011 6:27 pm

keg411 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

Got an A on the test.

+1
Did you guys have to sign up to get this or does he sell his lectures outside of barbri?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed May 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Whatisthis wrote:
Did you guys have to sign up to get this or does he sell his lectures outside of barbri?
If you pre-register for BarBri, you get a big book of first-year outlines and access to the lectures. The book o' outlines was not so helpful, but the lectures in some subjects are pretty solid. Based on my CivPro grade alone, it was 25 bucks well spent even if I go with a different Bar prep provider.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Rocked K's. Thought I failed.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed May 11, 2011 11:27 pm

ExamSoft wouldn't start. Spent an hour with the IT people trying to get it resolved and was thrown off my game in the process. Had to hand write the first 45 minutes of the exam, then someone from the IT department came rushing in with a spare laptop with ExamSoft open and told me to use it. The lost time was a huge factor. I only spit out about 2-3 sentences on one of the policy questions and I didn't have time to go back and answer two of the short answer questions I had skipped. After the exam, I called my girlfriend and told her I was going to get in the 70s and drop out, and I called rad law and vented for like 10 minutes. I was absolutely devastated.

Wound up with a 90 (the equivalent of an A- at my school). No idea how it happened.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Thought that I in no way distinguished my exams from anyone else's in 2 of my classes. Got A's in both. Completely missed 2 of the biggest issues on another exam. Didn't speak one word about them. Got a B+. I was super pissed since, if I had even said a word about the biggest issues, it was an easy A-, or perhaps an A if the analysis was good. Would have been a 4.0 for first semester, but that B+ dragged it down. However, relatively speaking, a B+ isn't a bad grade and I'm happy it wasn't worse given my absolute mind-numbing stupidity on that exam.
Last edited by kaiser on Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:ExamSoft wouldn't start. Spent an hour with the IT people trying to get it resolved and was thrown off my game in the process. Had to hand write the first 45 minutes of the exam, then someone from the IT department came rushing in with a spare laptop with ExamSoft open and told me to use it. The lost time was a huge factor. I only spit out about 2-3 sentences on one of the policy questions and I didn't have time to go back and answer two of the short answer questions I had skipped. After the exam, I called my girlfriend and told her I was going to get in the 70s and drop out, and I called rad law and vented for like 10 minutes. I was absolutely devastated.

Wound up with a 90 (the equivalent of an A- at my school). No idea how it happened.
:D That's awesome! On the examsoft note, I got a black-screen of death at the start of one of my exams that just about made me s--- myself... I restarted the machine and it started working. Turns out that it was apparently because I had some other programs I hadn't closed out of running. But nothing like a 45 minute interference.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”