Dual Bachelors Degrees Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
North

Gold

Dual Bachelors Degrees

Post by North » Wed May 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Alright, if I graduate with two separate degrees - one in Political Science, and one in Sociology - from my undergraduate University, which one will count towards my LSAC GPA? Both? It would be great if they let me pick which one I wanted to count, I could go to Harvard. Couldn't find anything with a forum search, so does anybody know?

dpk711

Silver

Re: Dual Bachelors Degrees

Post by dpk711 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Not so funny/interesting troll.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Nope, not trolling. I've spent an extra year in undergrad getting my GPA up after a disastrous first year and just realized that I might qualify (if I added a very convenient minor) to graduate with two Bachelors Degrees. I'm a little offended by the troll thing, but much more by the assertion that I'm not funny. I think I'm hilarious. This question, on the other hand, is both serious and tinged with hope.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:45 pm

... see my post below...
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Wed May 04, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:49 pm

North wrote:Nope, not trolling. I've spent an extra year in undergrad getting my GPA up after a disastrous first year and just realized that I might qualify (if I added a very convenient minor) to graduate with two Bachelors Degrees. I'm a little offended by the troll thing, but much more by the assertion that I'm not funny. I think I'm hilarious. This question, on the other hand, is both serious and tinged with hope.

One undergrad=one GPA (regardless of dual degrees). The more courses you take could boost your GPA if you do well in them, but taking on too much could also make it more difficult to do well IMO. If you finish one before the other, then your GPA will 'set' for LSAC purposes at time of one you complete first as far as I know. But if it is a dual-degree (simultaneous, with same completion dates) then I think the only reasonable assumption is that all your courses for both degrees will be factored into GPA.

Sorry, but I don't think you found a loophole. Good luck with studies though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed May 04, 2011 4:56 pm

My mistake, I was trying to be blithe with the Harvard comment. The way I thought about it went like this: I'll be graduating with two degrees, each with its own cumulative GPA, so LSAC must - when calculating my LSAC GPA - choose which one of the two to use.

Judging by your response, those separate GPA's are my degree GPA's and have no individual weight in LSAC's calculation. So, misplaced flurry of hope, then?

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed May 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
North wrote:Nope, not trolling. I've spent an extra year in undergrad getting my GPA up after a disastrous first year and just realized that I might qualify (if I added a very convenient minor) to graduate with two Bachelors Degrees. I'm a little offended by the troll thing, but much more by the assertion that I'm not funny. I think I'm hilarious. This question, on the other hand, is both serious and tinged with hope.

One undergrad=one GPA (regardless of dual degrees). The more courses you take could boost your GPA if you do well in them, but taking on too much could also make it more difficult to do well IMO. If you finish one before the other, then your GPA will 'set' for LSAC purposes at time of one you complete first as far as I know. But if it is a dual-degree (simultaneous, with same completion dates) then I think the only reasonable assumption is that all your courses for both degrees will be factored into GPA.

Sorry, but I don't think you found a loophole. Good luck with studies though.
Just saw this - got you. Thanks for your help and that makes sense: no loophole for me.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 04, 2011 5:03 pm

All courses taken at all universities regardless of major are factored in, up until receipt of your first bachelor's degree. If you get both simultaneously, all classes will count. If you get one before the other, all classes (toward either degree) up until the point of your first degree will count.

Taking extra courses to boost your GPA isn't a bad idea, if you can delay receiving your first degree until you'd get your second.

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Are you sure you're dual degree and not double major? PoliSci and Soc are both liberal-artsy social sciences, so I think that equals ONE Bachelor of Arts. (My university would have counted this as double major, not dual degree). I suggest you double check with your school advisors.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat May 07, 2011 1:57 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:Are you sure you're dual degree and not double major? PoliSci and Soc are both liberal-artsy social sciences, so I think that equals ONE Bachelor of Arts. (My university would have counted this as double major, not dual degree). I suggest you double check with your school advisers.
I was surprised too: I thought exactly that. Not only are they both liberal art-sy, but both majors are housed in the same college at my University. The stipulation for a double major is that you only have to fulfill the minor course-load requirements (each major has a required major course-load as well as a required minor course-load) for only one of your majors. For a dual degree, you fulfill the complete minor course-load requirements for both of your majors. I - albeit accidentally - did the latter and discovered my eligibility when I was poking around on my University website. I filled out a form at my registrar's office on Thursday and will graduate with one Bachelors Degree in Political Science with a minor in Philosophy and one Bachelors Degree in Sociology with a minor in Anthropology. I'm sure no employer or grad school will be impressed by this and that there is not practical value to it, but I think it's pretty cool anyway. Nothing like having more paper to frame.
vanwinkle wrote:All courses taken at all universities regardless of major are factored in, up until receipt of your first bachelor's degree. If you get both simultaneously, all classes will count. If you get one before the other, all classes (toward either degree) up until the point of your first degree will count.

Taking extra courses to boost your GPA isn't a bad idea, if you can delay receiving your first degree until you'd get your second.
That is exactly my plan, only I though I was only tacking on an extra major and minor. I figured suffering the humiliation of being a fifth-year senior would be made worth it by the extra LS options a two or three-tenths of a point bump in my GPA might afford me when the time comes to apply. Thanks for the clear advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”