Advantages of getting licensed in Europe? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Its the gel man

New

Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Post by Its the gel man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm

That is, while getting licensed in the US as well. Does being boarded in both Europe and Florida, for example, have any advantages? Will employers look on this as a good thing? Is it worth the extra year of law school?

shoot.

firemed

Silver

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Post by firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Do you mean getting admitted to a bar in europe?

Cuz your only choice there will be england or ireland (or scotland, who has their own special bar).... though I suppose you could use that to work in the EU.... sort of. I mean, they have entirely different justice system over there.

And even if you do apply in the UK/Ireland, I don't think it is very easy. They would probably require an LLM or something similar.

It would be advantageous if you could do it, though, I would guess.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 pm

I saw a program like this at a school. I just couldn't think of a reason how that would help me professionally.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Its the gel man wrote:That is, while getting licensed in the US as well. Does being boarded in both Europe and Florida, for example, have any advantages? Will employers look on this as a good thing? Is it worth the extra year of law school?

shoot.
What area of law are you interested in?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Seems like it would be a massive waste of time, effort, and money. If people have a French problem, they hire French lawyers. If their problem is in America, they'll get American lawyers. This is a huge waste.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Its the gel man

New

Post by Its the gel man » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 am

I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 am

Its the gel man wrote:I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.
The reason it might hurt is because people will have no idea how to treat you when hiring.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 am

Its the gel man wrote:I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.

If it isn't common law based... um, why would they even let you sit for the bar? Every common law system requires you to have been educated in it. I am surprised any civil law system wouldn't have the same requirements for their bar.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 am

rad law wrote:
The reason it might hurt is because people will have no idea how to treat you when hiring.
I disagree. What about a firm that represents some French clients?

I've got to imagine that if you were house counsel for Ikea, for example, knowing Swedish law would be useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
rad law wrote:
I disagree. What about a firm that represents some French clients?

I've got to imagine that if you were house counsel for Ikea, for example, knowing Swedish law would be useful.

Its the gel man

New

Post by Its the gel man » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:53 am

There's a program at a law school where its half in a European country and half in the US. After 4 years, you can sit for the bar in both countries. Do it? why?

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Its the gel man wrote:There's a program at a law school where its half in a European country and half in the US. After 4 years, you can sit for the bar in both countries. Do it? why?
might be a cool thing to say to a girl in a bar.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm

oh come on. COME ON !!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Its the gel man wrote:There's a program at a law school where its half in a European country and half in the US. After 4 years, you can sit for the bar in both countries. Do it? why?
No. Waste of time and money.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

OP - do you speak European ?

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

If you look at some of the big firms, they have American trained lawyers in places like London and even Asia. So not know in what capacity they work though. Probably, they cannot go to court, but maybe advice on international deals?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 pm

antonin wrote:If you look at some of the big firms, they have American trained lawyers in places like London and even Asia. So not know in what capacity they work though. Probably, they cannot go to court, but maybe advice on international deals?
That's what they do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”