. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Re: What should I bring to law school?

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

leobowski wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Bookstands in class?? Really? Unless you have a major vision problem you have no business using that in class; its a bit distracting to the people around you. Boy I can't wait to join the league of overzealous crazies that is described as law school.

Bookstands will be the least of your worries when it comes to distractions in class. People play World of Warcraft and whatnot. Probably about 75% of any upper-level class is on the internet or playing video games at any given time.
You're kidding, right? Does this apply to all tiers (T14, T20, TT, TTT, etc.)?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:21 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
leobowski wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Bookstands in class?? Really? Unless you have a major vision problem you have no business using that in class; its a bit distracting to the people around you. Boy I can't wait to join the league of overzealous crazies that is described as law school.

Bookstands will be the least of your worries when it comes to distractions in class. People play World of Warcraft and whatnot. Probably about 75% of any upper-level class is on the internet or playing video games at any given time.
I ladder on SC2/outline during class because class is useless. If I hear any of the golden words ("exam", "curve", or "final") I look up and listen for a minute or two. Then, back to the pew pew.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Always Credited wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
leobowski wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I ladder on SC2/outline during class because class is useless. If I hear any of the golden words ("exam", "curve", or "final") I look up and listen for a minute or two. Then, back to the pew pew.
ladder SC2 on a laptop? what are you, bronze ;)

although if you are seriously laddering you have to making some noise with a decent apm

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 pm

how many books are we actually going to have...that we need to bring to class?

I would not buy a rolly bag when I can have a crate on wheels. I'm serious, it's kinda badass.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just don't bring a rolly bag. quote]

Seriously though, can't I roll with the rolley? I'm old, got a family, and not much to prove image-wise. Care more about having all my shiz with me and not ruining my spine.
Rolly bag = social suicide?
Hemingway would backhand you for using a rolly bag.
Haha. Ok. Good point. Forget the rolly bag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

DubPoker wrote:ladder SC2 on a laptop? what are you, bronze ;)

although if you are seriously laddering you have to making some noise with a decent apm
I bring a wireless mouse to class, haha. And since everyone else is banging away on gchat, my pecking goes unnoticed.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm

lhlee wrote:how many books are we actually going to have...that we need to bring to class?

I would not buy a rolly bag when I can have a crate on wheels. I'm serious, it's kinda badass.

I have one for uses other than school. Badass indeed.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Always Credited wrote:

I bring a wireless mouse to class, haha. And since everyone else is banging away on gchat, my pecking goes unnoticed.
Does your prof care when you get extremely angry and yell "GOD D#MN F#CKING PROXY GATEWAY" ??

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Always Credited wrote:

You must play really passively. When I play it's crazy how loud it gets. But I do have decent APM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
leobowski wrote:

No, dead serious. I play Diablo II or outline from supplements during class. In classes that have banned laptops, I draw cartoons about Scalia fighting crime and stuff.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

You must play really passively. When I play it's crazy how loud it gets. But I do have decent APM.
Challenge: play and win without using hotkeys.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:31 pm

lhlee wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Challenge: play and win without using hotkeys.
This is impossible. There is just no way to keep up macro/micro against a decent player without hotkeying just about everything. Command centers, gateways, groups. Everything must be hotkeyed!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
leobowski wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Even at the UMN ASW for the preview classes everyone was on gchat/facebook during the lecture.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 pm

FiveSermon wrote:This is impossible. There is just no way to keep up macro/micro against a decent player without hotkeying just about everything. Command centers, gateways, groups. Everything must be hotkeyed!
If you play FFA (not ranked) the player pool is generally terrible. I made a bet with my roomate a month or two after the game came out that I could win an FFA using only my left hand (i'm right handed) needless to say, its actually not hard as long. Every now and then a good player ends up in your FFA

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Baylan wrote:
Buy used books, get things cheap. People are much more socially aware of the differences in price/cost in school. We're all on pretty similar budgets. If there is no need to spend the money on it, people aren't going to.
The amount of money people spend on alcohol tears this to shreds.

In all seriousness - I use the same backpack I purchased at the beginning of freshman year of UG. If it works why not use it?

I think a computer is the only thing that should be up for serious consideration - if there's a reasonable chance yours might not make it through then you should consider a new purchase. Otherwise if it works keep on using it.
I qualified that by stating that if there is no need. There is definitely a need for alcohol. If not for being alcohol, then for being social.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm

DubPoker wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:This is impossible. There is just no way to keep up macro/micro against a decent player without hotkeying just about everything. Command centers, gateways, groups. Everything must be hotkeyed!
If you play FFA (not ranked) the player pool is generally terrible. I made a bet with my roomate a month or two after the game came out that I could win an FFA using only my left hand (i'm right handed) needless to say, its actually not hard as long. Every now and then a good player ends up in your FFA
Yep. I played on my buddy;s account and he still had those 50 something "practice" maps (he hasn't played a ranked game). It was hard, but funny. Practice and then stealth play in class!

fishdude

New

Post by fishdude » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm

leobowski wrote: In classes that have banned laptops, I draw cartoons about Scalia fighting crime and stuff.
Do you read Tom the Dancing Bug? I love the crime-fighting Scalia comics!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 pm

leobowski wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
leobowski wrote:

No, dead serious. I play Diablo II or outline from supplements during class. In classes that have banned laptops, I draw cartoons about Scalia fighting crime and stuff.
lol. Yeah, in my grad classes I've been writing my thesis while attending each class. I'd stay home and write, but you have to have an excuse if you miss, so that's not an option. I'm sure people do this stuff no matter what level you're at. What I was getting at though is don't be distracting to others. As long as I don't hear the game, I don't give a shit if someone's playing it.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:06 pm

CMDantes wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not even the most socially-awkward people use rolly bags.
There is someone i work with who brings one of those rolly bags. She's a little older, and i presume she is using it as a purse, but seriously, the thing would not fit in an overhead compartment on a domestic flight. i have asked around and no one seems to know what's in there. it's a constant source of entertainment/debate for everyone to guess what she might be carrying.
lol do we work in the same office? Same situation here
here's the worst part...I don't work in an office. We have a locker room, and the employer supplies literally EVERYTHING you could possibly need to do your job. I walk in completely empty handed except my lunch and my car keys. There is a refigerator for my lunch, and the keys go in my locker.
never thought about it before, but have to agree with the poster who said it's even weirder when you see people with little tiny rolling bags.

adevotchka

Bronze

Post by adevotchka » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Friend who is in law school uses a rolly bag (we call it a wheely bag). He goes to school in NJ and once went on a date right after class in Manhattan and brought his wheely bag on the date and wondered why she never called back.

It was classic.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:44 pm

adevotchka wrote:

Friend who is in law school uses a rolly bag (we call it a wheely bag). He goes to school in NJ and once went on a date right after class in Manhattan and brought his wheely bag on the date and wondered why she never called back.

It was classic.

Dude probably is one confident MF. Wow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:03 pm

On the Virtue of Back packs

1. no wheels (pro: won't look like an idiot, won't obstruct others, won't hurt your back)
2. padded area to keep your laptop (you don't want your laptop to get crushed by your con law book ever time you take a step)
3. more compartments the better

back pack > laptop carrying case > big purse (for women) > "messenger bag"/man purse (for men)

function entails style, style entails nothing
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Swiss Army makes damn good backpacks for about $80.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:24 pm

ITT OP asks for what to bring, TLS tells him not rolly bags and then discusses the virtue of playing Blizzard games in class.

Oh and with backpacks, you never want to leave anything behind, so: --ImageRemoved--

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 pm

kalvano wrote:Swiss Army makes damn good backpacks for about $80.
I've sworn by these throughout all of undergrad, and will be using it for law school.

Great amount of space, pockets for days, perfect for carrying a computer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”