. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Moxie

Silver

Re: What should I bring to law school?

Post by Moxie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Lockers should make it so you don't need a rolly bag. However, a comfortable (normal) backpack is a very good investment.

OP, make sure you have a good desk lamp, if your school doesn't provide one.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Would anyone care if I still used my old bookbag from high school?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

aliarrow wrote:Would anyone care if I still used my old bookbag from high school?
notsureifsrs.jpg

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm

DeeCee wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Would anyone care if I still used my old bookbag from high school?
notsureifsrs.jpg
I mean... its not like it has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it. It's just noticeably old, but I'm also noticeably cheap and therefore don't want to buy a new one.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm

aliarrow wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
notsureifsrs.jpg
I mean... its not like it has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it. It's just noticeably old, but I'm also noticeably cheap and therefore don't want to buy a new one.
No one will care as long as you aren't using a rolling bag that hits people as you walk down the hallway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm

aliarrow wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
notsureifsrs.jpg
I said that not because I care if you use your old backpack but because I wasn't sure if you were actually serious or being a smart-ass when you asked. I would never think that using an old backpack would be a point of concern.
Last edited by DeeCee on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not even the most socially-awkward people use rolly bags.
There is someone i work with who brings one of those rolly bags. She's a little older, and i presume she is using it as a purse, but seriously, the thing would not fit in an overhead compartment on a domestic flight. i have asked around and no one seems to know what's in there. it's a constant source of entertainment/debate for everyone to guess what she might be carrying.
I see professional women with tiny little bags on rollers. Which is even more weird than a larger one. It's seriously weird to have something the size of a purse rolling around on the ground.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

can I wear my hiking backpack to school? Or should I just stick with my laptop bag?
:lol:

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:23 pm

DeeCee wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
notsureifsrs.jpg
I said that not because I care if you use your old backpack but because I wasn't sure if you were actually serious or being a smart-ass when you asked. I would never think that using an old backpack would be a point of concern.
It was really a hybrid post. Part smart-ass, but part serious. It is an old bookbag, but maybe not HS old - more like 2-3 years old. I just get self-conscious over having all old things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:23 pm

AP-375 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just don't bring a rolly bag. quote]

Seriously though, can't I roll with the rolley? I'm old, got a family, and not much to prove image-wise. Care more about having all my shiz with me and not ruining my spine.
Rolly bag = social suicide?
Hemingway would backhand you for using a rolly bag.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
There is someone i work with who brings one of those rolly bags. She's a little older, and i presume she is using it as a purse, but seriously, the thing would not fit in an overhead compartment on a domestic flight. i have asked around and no one seems to know what's in there. it's a constant source of entertainment/debate for everyone to guess what she might be carrying.
I see professional women with tiny little bags on rollers. Which is even more weird than a larger one. It's seriously weird to have something the size of a purse rolling around on the ground.
This is an awesome post.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm

aliarrow wrote:
It was really a hybrid post. Part smart-ass, but part serious. It is an old bookbag, but maybe not HS old - more like 2-3 years old. I just get self-conscious over having all old things.
hey, some of us aren't trying to spend all of our loan money on the newest shizz when we have perfectly good things.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 pm

DubPoker wrote:Star Wars lunch box imo
You know if you were cool about it no one would give you shit for that.

I'm halfway inclined to buy one now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm

bloobook wrote:^ Thank you. I've now seen a few recommendations for One Note, so it looks like I'll wind up getting Office 2010 sometime soon.

While I'm at it, I'll ask this: do professors typically allow students to record lectures or are they strictly against it? I have hearing difficulties and would like to be able to review the lectures aurally when working on my outlines.

Don't ask, sit in front row, record with smart phone.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1) if you are male you look like a pussy and a weirdo.

2) if you are female you just look weird.

3) it clogs the shit out of hallways.

4) Don't be "That guy."

This goes triple for bookstands.

Bookstands are great for outlining. They save a ton of neck/eye strain when taking notes from a supplement. I do agree it's kind of douchey to use one in class though.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 pm

leobowski wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:1) if you are male you look like a pussy and a weirdo.

2) if you are female you just look weird.

3) it clogs the shit out of hallways.

4) Don't be "That guy."

This goes triple for bookstands.

Bookstands are great for outlining. They save a ton of neck/eye strain when taking notes from a supplement. I do agree it's kind of douchey to use one in class though.
Bookstands in class?? Really? Unless you have a major vision problem you have no business using that in class; its a bit distracting to the people around you. Boy I can't wait to join the league of overzealous crazies that is described as law school.
Last edited by DeeCee on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 pm

bloobook wrote:I know it sounds silly, but I'd like input on what resources/software seem to be useful or used often in law school. I've seen someone around here posting about note-writing software through Microsoft, which I don't think is really necessary for me, but it DOES look organized on-screen. Is there anything I should plan to buy/do in preparation for my 1L year or will all of the necessities (Lexis/Westlaw access, for example) be provided for students? Anything you found particularly helpful/wish you'd had when you were a 1L?
get a reliable laptop
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Borhas wrote:
bloobook wrote:I know it sounds silly, but I'd like input on what resources/software seem to be useful or used often in law school. I've seen someone around here posting about note-writing software through Microsoft, which I don't think is really necessary for me, but it DOES look organized on-screen. Is there anything I should plan to buy/do in preparation for my 1L year or will all of the necessities (Lexis/Westlaw access, for example) be provided for students? Anything you found particularly helpful/wish you'd had when you were a 1L?
get a reliable laptop
My guess is that this will probably be most important, along with OneNote if you like it

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm

DeeCee wrote:I plan to bring my laptop, a spiral notebook, and a pen to class. Then if I'm wrong about my supplies, I shall adjust accordingly. I'm sure you'll find out quickly from students/profs about what you'll need, like word processing software or a subscription to Lexis /Westlaw / whatever. I don't think you'll need special aids, I'm pretty sure whatever worked for ya throughout undergrad in the note taking department will suffice
i also highly recommend bringing your casebooks to class as well. im being serious, i showed up my first day without them and was so thankful i was not cold called.

pretty sure lexis/WL is always provided at law schools, or else fail lol.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I plan to bring my laptop, a spiral notebook, and a pen to class. Then if I'm wrong about my supplies, I shall adjust accordingly. I'm sure you'll find out quickly from students/profs about what you'll need, like word processing software or a subscription to Lexis /Westlaw / whatever. I don't think you'll need special aids, I'm pretty sure whatever worked for ya throughout undergrad in the note taking department will suffice
i also highly recommend bringing your casebooks to class as well. im being serious, i showed up my first day without them and was so thankful i was not cold called.

I haven't brought my casebooks to school, let alone class, once all year :lol:

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 pm

aliarrow wrote:
As a point of note for you and other 0Ls - don't get self-conscious over having old things. There is one person that I'm actively aware of in my section who actually cares about having the newest and greatest. Mommy and Daddy are also paying for his school and living expenses. You are a student, you are living on a student budget. No one expects you to be wearing, or using, top end supplies for everything.

Buy used books, get things cheap. People are much more socially aware of the differences in price/cost in school. We're all on pretty similar budgets. If there is no need to spend the money on it, people aren't going to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 am

Baylan wrote:
Buy used books, get things cheap. People are much more socially aware of the differences in price/cost in school. We're all on pretty similar budgets. If there is no need to spend the money on it, people aren't going to.
The amount of money people spend on alcohol tears this to shreds.

In all seriousness - I use the same backpack I purchased at the beginning of freshman year of UG. If it works why not use it?

I think a computer is the only thing that should be up for serious consideration - if there's a reasonable chance yours might not make it through then you should consider a new purchase. Otherwise if it works keep on using it.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

Capitol A wrote:
lol do we work in the same office? Same situation here

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Bookstands in class?? Really? Unless you have a major vision problem you have no business using that in class; its a bit distracting to the people around you. Boy I can't wait to join the league of overzealous crazies that is described as law school.

Bookstands will be the least of your worries when it comes to distractions in class. People play World of Warcraft and whatnot. Probably about 75% of any upper-level class is on the internet or playing video games at any given time.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Always Credited wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

I haven't brought my casebooks to school, let alone class, once all year :lol:
lol do you not get cold called? some of my profs last semester really get into the details too

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”