Law Preview--Helpful? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cold_logic

New

Law Preview--Helpful?

Post by cold_logic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

TPR offers a week of law school prep for 0Ls: http://www.lawpreview.com/

Has anyone does this? Was it useful? I'm skeptical of their "exam preparation techniques", but knowing how to highlight cases (and reading a lot of cases) might be good prep.

FiveSermon

Gold

Re: Law Preview--Helpful?

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 pm

They have some legit professors endorsing them wth.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm

cold_logic wrote:TPR offers a week of law school prep for 0Ls: http://www.lawpreview.com/

Has anyone does this? Was it useful? I'm skeptical of their "exam preparation techniques", but knowing how to highlight cases (and reading a lot of cases) might be good prep.
You are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to learn how to highlight cases? Hell, I'll teach you for half the price. And no, these classes give you no edge, and are for students who freak out enough to toss them $$. They essentially prey off the insecurity and nerves of incoming students.

bloobook

Bronze

Post by bloobook » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mt1042

New

Post by mt1042 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I might have the opportunity to go totally free of charge. If it is 6 days for free does anyone think it would be worth it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 pm

mt1042 wrote:I might have the opportunity to go totally free of charge. If it is 6 days for free does anyone think it would be worth it?
I went to this course for free two summers ago.

OP: It is not run by TPR, although the two companies have a relationship. I found the course to be very helpful, and it is far more substantial than merely "highlight[ing] cases."

I have worked for both TPR and LP (last summer). I am on Law Review at a T14. My grades are solid, and this course was very helpful. I don't know if it's worth the price, but it's definitely worth it if you get it free. The LP professors are top notch.

PM me if you want more details.

SHarry3666

New

Post by SHarry3666 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:
mt1042 wrote:I might have the opportunity to go totally free of charge. If it is 6 days for free does anyone think it would be worth it?

OP: It is not run by TPR, although the two companies have a relationship. I found the course to be very helpful, and it is far more substantial than merely "highlight[ing] cases."

I have worked for both TPR and LP (last summer). I am on Law Review at a T14. My grades are solid, and this course was very helpful. I don't know if it's worth the price, but it's definitely worth it if you get it free. The LP professors are top notch.

How did you go for *FREE* was it because you worked for TPR or did you get a scholarship? If it was the later, do you know how competitive the scholarship process is?

mt1042

New

Post by mt1042 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 pm

SHarry3666 wrote:
How did you go for *FREE* was it because you worked for TPR or did you get a scholarship? If it was the later, do you know how competitive the scholarship process is?
I think I will qualify for their "Pay It Forward Scholarship." I am ridiculously poor, which will in itself be a preview of law school.

SHarry3666

New

Post by SHarry3666 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Below is some text from an email I received from Law Preview today after signing up for their mailing list. It seems to explain what Law Preview covers and how it might be helpful. The email also profiled past students (including a former SCT clerk) who are now working at some pretty impressive firms -- all with seeming positive comments about their experience with the class (http://lawpreview.com/index.php/StudentPerformance/). Apparently, these folks thought it was helpful . . .
The learning curve in law school is steep. In addition to the dense substantive material (e.g., Torts, Contracts, etc.) that you will encounter during your first year, you will also likely confront new teaching and testing methods. The purpose of the Law Preview class is not to eliminate the learning curve, but substantially lessen its degree by: (1) providing a substantive overview of each core first-year class and (2) teaching students how to best learn, synthesize and apply the legal rules and theories that they learn along the way.

The substantive law lectures our professors deliver are not designed to cram nine months of material into one week. Rather, our professors provide students with an overview of each course in an effort to combat the Case Method. During the academic year, most law professors teach using the Case Method -- they start their first class by discussing an assigned case and, through class discussion, help students boil that case down to a fine point of law. Then, professors will repeat this process with subsequent cases that build upon the law that students have already learned. So, in most law school classes, it's not until the end of the semester that a student begins to see how a particular body of law takes shape, and how the various rules, standards and tests they have learned throughout the semester interrelate. As you can imagine, reading cases in a vacuum -- without any context/understanding for where those cases may fit in the larger course -- is much like trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle without having the benefit of the picture on the front of the box. No doubt it can be done, but not without considerable effort and inefficiencies.

Law Preview provides students with the "big picture" for each course. To accomplish this, we bring in some of the best law professors from around the country to give an overview of each core 1L class. Using a lecture format, our professors explain many of the theories that drive each area of law so that students can better understand the purpose that individual (black letter) rules attempt to serve. In addition, Law Preview students read and brief 5-10 of the seminal cases in each core 1L class. This not only exposes them to some of most important cases they will read during their first year, but it also provides them with an opportunity to brief each case and to be exposed to legal analysis and reasoning that is directly translatable to their 1L classes.

Beyond these substantive overviews, Law Preview teaches skills that help students learn/process the information they will encounter throughout the semester. We cover everything from case law analysis and case briefing, to note-taking, time management and outlining, to the winning ways to write a law school exam. The entire focus of these lectures/workshops is to help students build the skills that they will need to achieve the highest grades they can during the first year -- with a significant emphasis on exam preparation and writing an "A" exam. Additionally, before our students show up for the 4-hour Exam-Taking Strategies Workshop, they have already taken a practice exam question -- one that the professor then uses as the basis for his/her lecture on how to deconstruct a hypothetical fact pattern and draft an "A" answer. All told, we spend a considerable amount of time during the week teaching skills specifically designed to improve students' grades.

Click through and see how Law Preview will ease your transition to law school and position you to excel during the all-important 1L year.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 am

SHarry3666 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I qualified for a scholarship. I have no idea how competitive it was. It couldn't have been that competitive if I got it. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”