Other People Have Figured It Out Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NoJob

Bronze

Other People Have Figured It Out

Post by NoJob » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:39 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... sNewsThird

The Wall Street Journal reports that Biglaw jobs are disappearing and that applications are way down. Personally, I loved the part where students were asking law school deans to read about how bad the field is. As if they do not know that already?

FYI, midlaw and shitlaw jobs are MIA too.

So, why keep applying? Why take the LSAT?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Other People Have Figured It Out

Post by kalvano » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 am

Gee, this topic is so fresh and exciting!

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 am

Law jobs are disappearing?! :shock:

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 am

get a job

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:19 am

...I thought NoJob got banned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anomaly

Bronze

Post by Anomaly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 am

Last edited by Anomaly on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 am

Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

Anomaly wrote:He's right - good luck finding a job as a lawyer.

And don't bother with underwriting, reporting, computer programming, chemical engineering, editing, business, or management. Those jobs are disappearing too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/ar ... fe_balance

Having said that, fast food jobs should be on the rise. Mcdonald's experienced record sales in 2010 and expects to open 20-30 new stores, creating 2000+ jobs.

--LinkRemoved--

62,000 in Germany are already on board. It looks those people have figured it out.
That's just plain stupid, Subway has overtaken McD's in total shops. JD->Sandwich Artist, ftw!

dooood

Bronze

Post by dooood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 am

-
Last edited by dooood on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:55 am

dooood wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.
haha +1
shows what you know, I'm at work right now...I already got a jerb!

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

homestyle28 wrote:
dooood wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Yall would probably have better luck finding jobs if you werent sitting on internet forums in the morning. Just a thought.
haha +1
+1

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 am

homestyle28 wrote:
dooood wrote:
haha +1

samesies

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 am

The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm

ran12 wrote:The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.
I disagree. In b-school what matters is experience. You have to have 2 things to get into top b-school: 1) decent quantity of work experience, 2) decent quality of work experience. Those things are softs when it comes to law school admission at best. If you have no experience at all and by some miracle you manage to get into decent b-school, you will face very tough time competing with your classmates who have work experience and connections. Besides grades in b-school don't really matter. In law school, although getting a job is just as difficult, if you do well you can secure a job straight out of college.

I agree that to wait it out is a wrong reason to go to law school. It is, however, a wrong reason to go to business school.

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:08 pm

NoJob wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... sNewsThird

The Wall Street Journal reports that Biglaw jobs are disappearing and that applications are way down. Personally, I loved the part where students were asking law school deans to read about how bad the field is. As if they do not know that already?

FYI, midlaw and shitlaw jobs are MIA too.

So, why keep applying? Why take the LSAT?
username=NoJob

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
ran12 wrote:The problem is that there are a ton of scared shitless kids in college who apply to law school and go without really being committed or even understanding what law school and law are really all about. Riding out the economy is a stupid reason for going to law school but that's what way too many people do. Having gone to b-school and going to law school in the Fall, from my experience I would say that b-school is the much safer choice. People are afraid of going to b-school b/c of the economy but if you have a degree from a top b-school, good jobs are out there. Def easier to get a good job out of b-school than law school.
I disagree. In b-school what matters is experience. You have to have 2 things to get into top b-school: 1) decent quantity of work experience, 2) decent quality of work experience. Those things are softs when it comes to law school admission at best. If you have no experience at all and by some miracle you manage to get into decent b-school, you will face very tough time competing with your classmates who have work experience and connections. Besides grades in b-school don't really matter. In law school, although getting a job is just as difficult, if you do well you can secure a job straight out of college.

I agree that to wait it out is a wrong reason to go to law school. It is, however, a wrong reason to go to business school.

Sorry I assumed people would know that you need work experience to go to b-school and succeed in getting a good job. What I was trying to say is that if someone is a good enough student to get into a decent law school, they will prob be able to get a job and after a few years go to b-school.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 pm

ran12 wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:

Sorry I assumed people would know that you need work experience to go to b-school and succeed in getting a good job. What I was trying to say is that if someone is a good enough student to get into a decent law school, they will prob be able to get a job and after a few years go to b-school.
there are a whole lot of splitters who go to law school...people who do extremely well on aptitude tests but have been underperforming on their GPA for quite a long time. those people are not getting good jobs out of undegrad, but if they want to go to a top law school, it's not too difficult for them.

also, i wouldn't have interpreted the decrease in applications as a sign that people are suddenly cognizant of the risks of law school. i would have interpreted it as the market improving, and people realizing that they don't need to go to law school to get a job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”