Texas is now T14 Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lisjjen

Silver

Re: Texas is now T14

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:38 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Cornell is now the gatekeeper until it inevitably becomes t12. Till then GTown can sit with those festering TTT17's.
I hope that Texas or Vandy jumps to #12 so we can hear everyone talk about the T11.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Cornell is now the gatekeeper until it inevitably becomes t12. Till then GTown can sit with those festering TTT17's.
Cornell is an Ivy, and will thus always be in whatever group we define as being elite.

If anyone were to fall out, it'd be one of the state schools (Michigan, UVa, Penn, or NYU).

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:02 pm

flcath wrote:
Cornell is an Ivy, and will thus always be in whatever group we define as being elite.

If anyone were to fall out, it'd be one of the state schools (Michigan, UVa, Penn, or NYU).
Umm... NYU is private. Oh, and Boalt is a UC.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
flcath wrote:

And UC is....?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:06 pm

lisjjen wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
flcath wrote:

And UC is....?
University of California... That big ass state on the west coast...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:08 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:University of California... That big ass state on the west coast...
This is where speed reading will fuck you. I thought you were saying Boalt didn't count because it was private.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:11 pm

lisjjen wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:University of California... That big ass state on the west coast...
This is where speed reading will fuck you. I thought you were saying Boalt didn't count because it was private.
I think he was accusing you of being both over and underinclusive

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:14 pm

weee wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Correct (except not lisjjen). In other words, accusing flcath of just being wrong.

He's been just spewing hate ever since the rankings came out, so I felt it was necessary.

ETA: I love that I had a speed reading fail by not mentioning UPenn...
Last edited by birdlaw117 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm

and Penn is an ivy. Albeit with a Big Ten football team.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

tipler4213 wrote:and Penn is an ivy. Albeit with a Big Ten football team.
True. How much longer do you think JoePa will be around?

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Ah yes, seems speed reading fucked me as well

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Are we trolling? If so, I won't say anything about JoePa.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 pm

lisjjen wrote:And T14 is as terrible of a reason to go to a school as ever. It's ambiguous. It's socially constructed. It doesn't overide the actual factors that you should make your decision on and it never did.

Somebody had to say it.
+1. It was a stupid distinction in the first place. The difference from some "T14" schools to other schools is almost nonexistant in some cases (and there are markets, like Boston, where non T14 schools will be preffered to many of the T14 schools every year). And the difference between schools inside of the T14, such as YHS and GULC is very large.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 pm

lisjjen wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Are we trolling? If so, I won't say anything about JoePa.
I mean... Yes. But I think the question can still be answered. (Unless of course the answer is "Penn doesn't have a Big Ten football team, that's Penn State!")

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:34 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
flcath wrote:

Wow anti-Penn trolling hard there I see. Penn is private.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
flcath wrote:Cornell is an Ivy, and will thus always be in whatever group we define as being elite.

yngblkgifted wrote:Wow anti-Penn trolling hard there I see. Penn is private.
birdlaw117 wrote:
weee wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Correct (except not lisjjen). In other words, accusing flcath of just being wrong.

He's been just spewing hate ever since the rankings came out, so I felt it was necessary.

ETA: I love that I had a speed reading fail by not mentioning UPenn...
The "confusing Penn, NYU, and UChi (which I forgot) for state schools" gag has been around here almost as long as the similarly knee-slapping "retake" joke, and inserting 3 capital T's in the name of a law school to mockingly assert one's low opinion of the institution's reputation.

Not saying you have to laugh, but not getting the (very common, almost institutional) joke is never a good thing.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:03 am

flcath wrote: The "confusing Penn, NYU, and UChi (which I forgot) for state schools" gag has been around here almost as long as the similarly knee-slapping "retake" joke, and inserting 3 capital T's in the name of a law school to mockingly assert one's low opinion of the institution's reputation.

Not saying you have to laugh, but not getting the (very common, almost institutional) joke is never a good thing.
I can't prove it, but I'm pretty confident you're just trying to cover your tracks. Either that or my troll-dar is broken. Eh, it's possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
flcath wrote: The "confusing Penn, NYU, and UChi (which I forgot) for state schools" gag has been around here almost as long as the similarly knee-slapping "retake" joke, and inserting 3 capital T's in the name of a law school to mockingly assert one's low opinion of the institution's reputation.

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty confident you're just trying to cover your tracks. Either that or my troll-dar is broken. Eh, it's possible.
Dude, this shit is older than the "I just flew in from New York, and boy are my arms tired" bit.

I make JoePa references every time I see my classmate who went to Penn for UG; I'm fairly confident he thinks it (and, by extension, me) is totally lame given how cliched it is.

Read the comments whenever Penn is mentioned in an ATL article.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 am

androstan wrote:radlaw is the only person ITT saying anything intelligent.
Shameless radlaw trolling.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 am

drdolittle wrote:
androstan wrote:radlaw is the only person ITT saying anything intelligent.
Shameless radlaw trolling.
radlaw's posts have been just as mocking and useless as everyone else's.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 am

flcath wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Dude, this shit is older than the "I just flew in from New York, and boy are my arms tired" bit.

I make JoePa references every time I see my classmate who went to Penn for UG; I'm fairly confident he thinks it (and, by extension, me) is totally lame given how cliched it is.

For what it's worth, I can't find evidence of you ever making such a joke before on TLS. So I'm going to stick with covering your tracks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
flcath wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

For what it's worth, I can't find evidence of you ever making such a joke before on TLS. So I'm going to stick with covering your tracks.
My OP on the world famous "T14 of lay prestige" thread explicitly mentions that Penn goes below Cornell because U of Penn "sounds like a state school."

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:35 am

Oh yeah... the one and only lay prestige ranking thread. I think there's only been one of those on TLS right?

Don't worry about it dude, maybe I was just off base. If you've been trolling this whole time, you need to brush up on your skillz. In return, I will brush up on my troll identification skillz

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Oh yeah... the one and only lay prestige ranking thread. I think there's only been one of those on TLS right?

Don't worry about it dude, maybe I was just off base. If you've been trolling this whole time, you need to brush up on your skillz. In return, I will brush up on my troll identification skillz
No prob.

As far as trolling goes, I was deeply disappointed that UCI was not ranked this year (ideally in the new 100-150 range). THAT would have been a field day, after all the 'UCI will be top 20' threads and 'UCI is top 8' press releases.

The GULC/UT thing was kinda lame in comparison; I'm not aware of any formal statements by the dean of GULC predicting perpetual T14-ness.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:43 am

I like how this thread has just turned into say whatever the eff you want to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”