No Westlaw/Lexis during 1L? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bendtheslurry

New

No Westlaw/Lexis during 1L?

Post by bendtheslurry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm

A school I recently visited said they do not allow 1L's to have access to Westlaw/Nexis. Is this a common practice for schools?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: No Westlaw/Lexis during 1L?

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 pm

No.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 pm

kalvano wrote:No.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

If I remember correctly, Howard didn't allow access fall of 1L.

When I heard that I was not happy. I wanted my rewards points!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:24 pm

No, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I had a job interview today for 1l summer and they specifically asked me if I was familiar with Westlaw because it's what I would be using all summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 pm

I respect Universities for wanting students to know how to search the stacks but the days of firms having large libraries are long gone.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 pm

they must be preparing their students to be broke solo practitioners who have to come back and use the law library every weekend. its actually a pretty practical move for t2 and down.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 pm

We were restricted from Lexis / Westlaw for our first research assignment, so we could learn how to use the books. After that, we had access to both. Now, we have Westlaw Next which is astonishingly awesome.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:40 pm

twert wrote:they must be preparing their students to be broke solo practitioners who have to come back and use the law library every weekend. its actually a pretty practical move for t2 and down.

Even going solo, Westlaw isn't super expensive if you only have one user and restrict yourself to in-state usage. It's when you add multiple users that the price skyrockets.

By not super expensive, I think I remember the price list I saw listing it at about $500, $600 a month under those terms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
twert wrote:they must be preparing their students to be broke solo practitioners who have to come back and use the law library every weekend. its actually a pretty practical move for t2 and down.

Even going solo, Westlaw isn't super expensive if you only have one user and restrict yourself to in-state usage. It's when you add multiple users that the price skyrockets.

By not super expensive, I think I remember the price list I saw listing it at about $500, $600 a month under those terms.
for a solo practitioner straight out of school, like the poor downtrodden misfits in my school's library, 500 a month is prohibitive. its schools like mine that need to teach book research.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 pm

twert wrote:
kalvano wrote:

for a solo practitioner straight out of school, like the poor downtrodden misfits in my school's library, 500 a month is prohibitive. its schools like mine that need to teach book research.

More prohibitive than having to leave the office and trudge to the local library? I bet you'd save over $500 in work every month.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm

i honestly think a lot of them don't even have offices. they are always in the library. But you are right, if a solo can get enough business to stay busy, he or she probably is better off spending the money on westlaw. also, i believe 500 is too high. if they get one of those deals where they only get state cases or something i think it can be done for ~90, though everyone's cryptic about westlaw prices for some reason.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I think the price I saw was for unlimited searching for one license for state and local federal cases.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am

i believe there's an option for four dollars a search. if you are really efficient and specialize in one field, you can probably make this pretty affordable.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 am

That's probably correct.

Anyway, back on-topic - the point is that firms very, very much want you to be familiar with Westlaw / Lexis, and not having it all your 1L year will put you at a disadvantage.

Knowing how to search the books is important, but they are going away, slowly but surely.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 am

twert wrote:four dollars a search
FUCK

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. I use print sources all the time in my practice (it helps that my firm has a special library for my practice group), but it's not like using the books are rocket science such that 1Ls should be subjected to an entire year without lexis.

BTW: the "off the rack" rates for westlaw/lexis users without contracts are obscene. A single search of "all federal cases" in lexis is about $300. Had a typo? Too bad- $300. No results? Too bad- $300.
Last edited by nealric on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:32 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:A school I recently visited said they do not allow 1L's to have access to Westlaw/Nexis. Is this a common practice for schools?
IBImage

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 pm

kalvano wrote:We were restricted from Lexis / Westlaw for our first research assignment, so we could learn how to use the books. After that, we had access to both. Now, we have Westlaw Next which is astonishingly awesome.

West Law Next is one of the greatest things I've ever used. I never really liked Lexis, but I find it funny when we have to attend these mandatory lexis certification courses and all it consists of is the Lexis rep trying to convince us that if we use Westlaw we're going straight to hell.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 pm

blong4133 wrote:
kalvano wrote:We were restricted from Lexis / Westlaw for our first research assignment, so we could learn how to use the books. After that, we had access to both. Now, we have Westlaw Next which is astonishingly awesome.

West Law Next is one of the greatest things I've ever used. I never really liked Lexis, but I find it funny when we have to attend these mandatory lexis certification courses and all it consists of is the Lexis rep trying to convince us that if we use Westlaw we're going straight to hell.
TBF Lexis has much better rewards.

Too bad their interface makes my eyes bleed.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 pm

TTH wrote:
blong4133 wrote:

TBF Lexis has much better rewards.

Too bad their interface makes my eyes bleed.
Lexis rewards >>> Westlaw rewards.

Truthfully, this is the number one reason why I prefer Lexis...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Westlaw NEXT >>>>>>>>> Lexis if you actually want to get work done.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Westlaw NEXT >>>>>>>>> Lexis if you actually want to get work done.
Does anyone else out there prefer Westlaw to Westlaw NEXT?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

TTH wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Westlaw NEXT >>>>>>>>> Lexis if you actually want to get work done.

The same people that prefer a 1973 Lincoln Town Car over a Ferrari 458.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:08 pm

kalvano wrote:
TTH wrote:

The same people that prefer a 1973 Lincoln Town Car over a Ferrari 458.
--ImageRemoved--
Picture me rollin

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”