When to set a wedding date during or summer after 1L? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
umich2011

New

When to set a wedding date during or summer after 1L?

Post by umich2011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Last edited by umich2011 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warandpeace

Bronze

Re: When to set a wedding date during or summer after 1L?

Post by warandpeace » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:06 pm

I know this is probably annoying to hear, and probably not my business, but you should just wait. It's not the best idea to get married before law school. Do you really want the first 3 years of your marriage consumed by stress?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:08 pm

warandpeace wrote:I know this is probably annoying to hear, and probably not my business, but you should just wait. It's not the best idea to get married before law school. Do you really want the first 3 years of your marriage consumed by stress?
She's getting married after the first year...so not exactly before! :)

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:11 pm

akili wrote:
warandpeace wrote:I know this is probably annoying to hear, and probably not my business, but you should just wait. It's not the best idea to get married before law school. Do you really want the first 3 years of your marriage consumed by stress?
She's getting married after the first year...so not exactly before! :)
oh, true, i misread it. i still stand with my original position, however.

blerg

Bronze

Post by blerg » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 pm

If it's possible, I'd do it this summer. I'm on spring break now and I can't imagine trying to have a wedding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm a 0L... I'll be getting married two weeks before the start of class... I really think it's not a great idea to get married in the middle of 1L. At the very least wait til summer. The stress of planning for a wedding is not something you want hanging over your head in the most important year of law school. I'm coasting through my last semester of UG and the stress is already driving me up a wall.

My advice would be to plan it for the summer, immediately after school ends, and get as much planning as possible done before school begins. You could also just have a really small wedding which would make things easier, or elope which is what I've been advising everyone I know to do. My cynical side is slowly convincing me that weddings are just a huge money suck.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Depending on your 1L summer job it might be better to finish a week early rather than start late. Also I imagine that finals -> write-on -> wedding in a 2 week period wouldn't be much fun.

I think summer would definitely be preferrable over winter or spring breaks though!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:13 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:I'm a 0L... I'll be getting married two weeks before the start of class... I really think it's not a great idea to get married in the middle of 1L. At the very least wait til summer. The stress of planning for a wedding is not something you want hanging over your head in the most important year of law school. I'm coasting through my last semester of UG and the stress is already driving me up a wall.

My advice would be to plan it for the summer, immediately after school ends, and get as much planning as possible done before school begins. You could also just have a really small wedding which would make things easier, or elope which is what I've been advising everyone I know to do. My cynical side is slowly convincing me that weddings are just a huge money suck.
I didn't actually read your post but your avatar is a solid 175.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”