Worth going to Law School if... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jajamoo

New

Worth going to Law School if...

Post by jajamoo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:40 pm

... it's a shitty school (TTT or TTTT) but ZERO loans (if I go) when I graduate?

Wholigan

Silver

Re: Worth going to Law School if...

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

There is no way anyone can answer this without more information. Some TTTs are well-respected in their area and may be the only school or second best school in a mid-size or small market. Others are not respected and are competing with 8 or 9 better schools in their own market, not to mention the long odds of getting a job anywhere else. Also why you would have zero loans. Is it because you have a full scholarship with a stipend? Or you happen to have $100k socked away that you are going to sink into law school? Also what you want to do, etc.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Not enough information. Depends on the school and the location.

jajamoo

New

Post by jajamoo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Wholigan wrote:There is no way anyone can answer this without more information. Some TTTs are well-respected in their area and may be the only school or second best school in a mid-size or small market. Others are not respected and are competing with 8 or 9 better schools in their own market, not to mention the long odds of getting a job anywhere else. Also why you would have zero loans. Is it because you have a full scholarship with a stipend? Or you happen to have $100k socked away that you are going to sink into law school? Also what you want to do, etc.

I apologize, it was a little short on information, you're right. Specifically, Appalachian School of Law and Regent are what I was looking at, as these are the only kind of schools I'd be able to get into (I'm from VA and will be staying here). The reason for this is that I was lazy during my early years in UG and ruined my GPA (2.61 LSDAS) and my LSAT score was just plain mediocre. The reason I won't have loans is that $200k has been stocked away for me by my father before he died for my education and I really do feel like going to law school (it's not just a "I have nothing better to do, I'll go to LS" decision).

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Use the money on a better investment. If that means retaking the LSAT and paying sticker at a T50, that's a MUCH better investment than a TTT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:27 pm

jajamoo wrote:
Wholigan wrote:There is no way anyone can answer this without more information. Some TTTs are well-respected in their area and may be the only school or second best school in a mid-size or small market. Others are not respected and are competing with 8 or 9 better schools in their own market, not to mention the long odds of getting a job anywhere else. Also why you would have zero loans. Is it because you have a full scholarship with a stipend? Or you happen to have $100k socked away that you are going to sink into law school? Also what you want to do, etc.

I apologize, it was a little short on information, you're right. Specifically, Appalachian School of Law and Regent are what I was looking at, as these are the only kind of schools I'd be able to get into (I'm from VA and will be staying here). The reason for this is that I was lazy during my early years in UG and ruined my GPA (2.61 LSDAS) and my LSAT score was just plain mediocre. The reason I won't have loans is that $200k has been stocked away for me by my father before he died for my education and I really do feel like going to law school (it's not just a "I have nothing better to do, I'll go to LS" decision).
If the money can be spent on non education, don't pay to go to Appalachian.

Go be a policeman or something and put the 200K down on a house.

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Where are you looking to practice? If you're good with the Hampton Roads area, I don't think Regent would be a bad decision. The only real competition is William and Mary, and maybe Richmond (and students at both schools are generally looking to practice in different areas). From my short time living in the area, I think the fact there is a pretty big (understatement) Christian community here may give Regent a little bump. However I'm not sure how portable the degree would be.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:53 pm

The only right answers are:

(A) Retake and go to one of the many T1 or T2s in the state.

or

(B) Don't go to law school.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm

retake, ED to UVA.

If have WE--> ED NU

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:07 pm

I can't imagine having gone to a school like this...although my school isn't substantially better, I am having a tremendous amount of difficulty finding a job. I feel like employers should at least not hold it against you that you go to a particular school. With that said, the right connections can get you a lawyer job regardless of where you went to school.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:23 pm

duckmoney wrote:Use the money on a better investment. If that means retaking the LSAT and paying sticker at a T50, that's a MUCH better investment than a TTT.
I don't see how OP is going to get into a T50 with a 2.61. OP, if you really think you have an understanding of what you would do as a lawyer and you are set on it, would you consider expanding your area to a school like WVU? Even for non-residents, that school is very cheap and I think it would give you more options, even if it means waiting a year and improving your LSAT a little. Even if you don't want to work in a city like Richmond, etc and want to work in a small town firm, or in local/state gov't or something like that, I have a feeling it might give you more choices. I mean, if you are one of the top 10 in your class or so, you might even be able to clerk for a district judge in WV or W.D. Va.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:24 pm

T50 is COMPLETELY overrated. Unless there are some serious regional schools in that T50 bunch...I would not look at t50 as a consideration factor.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 pm

nshapkar wrote:retake, ED to UVA.

If have WE--> ED NU
With the OP gpa there is no chance for UVA.

Retake to give your self better options. 200k is a lot of money to throw away on a shitty degree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:T50 is COMPLETELY overrated. Unless there are some serious regional schools in that T50 bunch...I would not look at t50 as a consideration factor.
Are there any schools you don't think are overrated?
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Penn is overrated.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Wholigan wrote:I don't see how OP is going to get into a T50 with a 2.61.

By getting a killer LSAT.

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:T50 is COMPLETELY overrated. Unless there are some serious regional schools in that T50 bunch...I would not look at t50 as a consideration factor.
LOL. No.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Penn is overrated...I don't know how other "top" law schools are...but I know plenty of 3Ls here without a job...and another who accepted a job at a small law firm. In fact, Penn Law is registered as a participant in unpaid law clerk program with state trial courts in PA. My understanding was that top schools grads dont even consider state trial clerkships and here you have a school promoting an unpaid judicial clerkship program with state trial courts...I mean common.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 pm

kalvano wrote:

Maybe I spoke too soon. But even at GMU, which could be a potential T1 school for the OP, according to TLS stats there are applicants along the lines of 173/2.8s getting WL'ed. It looks like some high 160s also got in with a 2.6-2.8 GPA though, which is why I say I may have misspoken. I guess if OP can get high 160s, it'd be worth a shot. Or at least Richmond.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Penn is overrated...I don't know how other "top" law schools are...but I know plenty of 3Ls here without a job...and another who accepted a job at a small law firm. In fact, Penn Law is registered as a participant in unpaid law clerk program with state trial courts in PA. My understanding was that top schools grads dont even consider state trial clerkships and here you have a school promoting an unpaid judicial clerkship program with state trial courts...I mean common.
You have another thread saying you are at a T2 school in NJ. Why are you calling Penn "here"?

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Penn is overrated...I don't know how other "top" law schools are...but I know plenty of 3Ls here without a job...and another who accepted a job at a small law firm. In fact, Penn Law is registered as a participant in unpaid law clerk program with state trial courts in PA. My understanding was that top schools grads dont even consider state trial clerkships and here you have a school promoting an unpaid judicial clerkship program with state trial courts...I mean common.
You have another thread saying you are at a T2 school in NJ. Why are you calling Penn "here"?
I knew someone would call me out on that diction. By here, I meant Penn. I do not go to Penn but I know several law students there. Stick to the content.

jajamoo

New

Post by jajamoo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'd be willing to practice anywhere in VA, really. Preferably northern VA or Richmond, or even my hometown of Fredericksburg, VA. The consensus I'm getting here, though, is that it's not worth going to Regent or ASL (or retake LSAT and go somewhere else). And from what I've read, never go to a particular law school expecting to transfer out to a better school(was considering this but it doesn't seem like a viable option from what I've read here on TLS).

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Wholigan wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Maybe I spoke too soon. But even at GMU, which could be a potential T1 school for the OP, according to TLS stats there are applicants along the lines of 173/2.8s getting WL'ed. It looks like some high 160s also got in with a 2.6-2.8 GPA though, which is why I say I may have misspoken. I guess if OP can get high 160s, it'd be worth a shot. Or at least Richmond.
I got into GMU with a 167 and a sub-2.8 (they were one of the first schools to accept me last year). I think the 173s getting WL'd is YP, since they're locks for money at higher ranked schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Wholigan wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Use the money on a better investment. If that means retaking the LSAT and paying sticker at a T50, that's a MUCH better investment than a TTT.
I don't see how OP is going to get into a T50 with a 2.61. OP, if you really think you have an understanding of what you would do as a lawyer and you are set on it, would you consider expanding your area to a school like WVU? Even for non-residents, that school is very cheap and I think it would give you more options, even if it means waiting a year and improving your LSAT a little. Even if you don't want to work in a city like Richmond, etc and want to work in a small town firm, or in local/state gov't or something like that, I have a feeling it might give you more choices. I mean, if you are one of the top 10 in your class or so, you might even be able to clerk for a district judge in WV or W.D. Va.
I have a 2.9 and I got into GMU, AU, and GWU. A 2.6 is admittedly worse, but I think a strong LSAT goes a long way to balancing that out. Also some softs can help convince them of your new work ethic. For example WE, graduate studies, etc.

Granted my 2.9 is a hard science and engr dual major, and I have a graduate hard science degree from an ivy, and I managed a 169.

OP, invest your 200k somewhere. I don't know shit about investing money, but I'm sure you could find some solid free advice online. There's gotta be a better return on a 200k investment out there than a TTT. Take out a few thousand dollars and pay for the intensive LSAT prep courses, and take them really seriously. Bump your LSAT up to 165 or, even better, 170 and that 200k will go a bit further in LS.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:53 pm

you crazy bro?

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:56 pm

TheFactor wrote:
you crazy bro?
Did you not just read the content of my post?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 am

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
you crazy bro?
Did you not just read the content of my post?
Herp derp

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”