Pre-med to pre-law? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rman1201

Silver

Re: Pre-med to pre-law?

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 am

fltanglab wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
lol que? Hard Science does hold more weight, because it's more difficult - I don't know where you've seen any resemblence of a consensus that says otherwise. Major doesn't matter if its Political Science vs. Theatre.
As previously stated, you really don't have to be eloquent to succeed in law, you just have to be able to analyze issues thoroughly and manage to express that.

And regardless of whether Science majors actually are analytical, we're discussing law school admissions. The answer is always going to be that with all other things equal, hard science majors will be chosen over humanities/liberal arts majors.
Well I was trying to help OP make a decision. If OP lacks an analytical background, he will want to try and compensate for that. As for science majors holding more weight, I didn't know that and I've been told multiple times that it doesn't matter. But you made me feel a little better about it, so I guess that's good.
In law school admissions having a Hard Science or Engineering background is typically sufficient for any 'analytical skills' requirement, hence the boost. But good luck with everything

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 am

porgie wrote:Dental school's a good option but I'm always shocked at how expensive it is. It's actually way more expensive than medical school at my university. It's about $23K per semester for med school. It's about $23K per TRIMESTER of dental school (estimated total including all fees and stuff is $83K per year of dental school)......and that's not even taking into account the cost of living expenses. The fourth year of dental school is significantly cheaper, though, b/c there are only two trimesters of classes.

Seriously, dental school makes law school seem like a fucking bargain.
Med school is really expensive also and it goes up the last two years....one of the many reasons I am glad I made the switch.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:03 am

porgie wrote:Dental school's a good option but I'm always shocked at how expensive it is. It's actually way more expensive than medical school at my university. It's about $23K per semester for med school. It's about $23K per TRIMESTER of dental school (estimated total including all fees and stuff is $83K per year of dental school)......and that's not even taking into account the cost of living expenses. The fourth year of dental school is significantly cheaper, though, b/c there are only two trimesters of classes.

You're the only person still rambling about the OP. Can't you see we're all at the arguing over tangents phase of this thread? Get with it or GTFO.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 am

rman1201 wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
lol que? Hard Science does hold more weight, because it's more difficult - I don't know where you've seen any resemblence of a consensus that says otherwise. Major doesn't matter if its Political Science vs. Theatre.
As previously stated, you really don't have to be eloquent to succeed in law, you just have to be able to analyze issues thoroughly and manage to express that.

And regardless of whether Science majors actually are analytical, we're discussing law school admissions. The answer is always going to be that with all other things equal, hard science majors will be chosen over humanities/liberal arts majors.
Well I was trying to help OP make a decision. If OP lacks an analytical background, he will want to try and compensate for that. As for science majors holding more weight, I didn't know that and I've been told multiple times that it doesn't matter. But you made me feel a little better about it, so I guess that's good.
In law school admissions having a Hard Science or Engineering background is typically sufficient for any 'analytical skills' requirement, hence the boost. But good luck with everything

Cool. Thanks. Now I feel motivated to read my biopsych textbook for the next hour.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 am

fltanglab wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
fltanglab wrote: Well I was trying to help OP make a decision. If OP lacks an analytical background, he will want to try and compensate for that. As for science majors holding more weight, I didn't know that and I've been told multiple times that it doesn't matter. But you made me feel a little better about it, so I guess that's good.

Cool. Thanks. Now I feel motivated to read my biopsych textbook for the next hour.
Lol good luck with that. Biopsych is a bitch (well, I never took Biopsych per se, just Behavioral Neuroscience).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 am

rman1201 wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

The only reason law schools will take a hard science major over a comparable humanities/ss major is that pretty much every frickin muckety muck who applies to law school is a Poli Sci major. It's nice to have a couple of people per class who aren't Matt Yglesias wannabe shitheads, not to mention the fact that hard science background people have great employment prospects which can only make a school look good. But go ahead.

porgie

Bronze

Post by porgie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:09 am

fltanglab wrote:

Med school is really expensive also and it goes up the last two years....one of the many reasons I am glad I made the switch.
If you go to dental school instead of medical school, you'll be about an extra $85K in debt after you graduate. Pretty big difference, though I guess dentists can start earning larger salaries earlier than doctors b/c of the residency process for doctors.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 am

FalafelWaffle wrote: The only reason law schools will take a hard science major over a comparable humanities/ss major is that pretty much every frickin muckety muck who applies to law school is a Poli Sci major. It's nice to have a couple of people per class who aren't Matt Yglesias wannabe shitheads, not to mention the fact that hard science background people have great employment prospects which can only make a school look good. But go ahead.
That too. The main reason is just perception of intelligence IMO. Hard Science is perceived as harder, so therefore a high gpa is perceived as more intelligent and/or hard working and therefore more likely to succeed (especially if coupled with a high LSAT).

But Hard science / engineering equating to analytical skills usually is thrown around a lot on admissions sites and whatnot.
Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

The only reason law schools will take a hard science major over a comparable humanities/ss major is that pretty much every frickin muckety muck who applies to law school is a Poli Sci major. It's nice to have a couple of people per class who aren't Matt Yglesias wannabe shitheads, not to mention the fact that hard science background people have great employment prospects which can only make a school look good. But go ahead.
HAHAHAHAHHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 am

rman1201 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote: The only reason law schools will take a hard science major over a comparable humanities/ss major is that pretty much every frickin muckety muck who applies to law school is a Poli Sci major. It's nice to have a couple of people per class who aren't Matt Yglesias wannabe shitheads, not to mention the fact that hard science background people have great employment prospects which can only make a school look good. But go ahead.
That too. The main reason is just perception of intelligence IMO. Hard Science is perceived as harder, so therefore a high gpa is perceived as more intelligent and/or hard working and therefore more likely to succeed (especially if coupled with a high LSAT).

But Hard science / engineering equating to analytical skills usually is thrown around a lot on admissions sites and whatnot.
NO! You know what it is. No one cares about science. There is a reason why law school have high volume of applicants.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:13 am

Has everyone ITT at one point been pre-med?

I have. :oops:

I think one of the biggest reasons for the switch was just how fucking annoying the other pre-meds were.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:14 am

Miracle wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

NO! You know what it is. No one cares about science. There is a reason why law school have high volume of applicants.
What? I'm confused by what you're refuting.

And I care about science. :D
(It just doesn't pay well unless you go into medicine/dentistry)

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 am

rman1201 wrote:Has everyone ITT at one point been pre-med?

I think one of the biggest reasons for the switch was just how fucking annoying the other pre-meds were.
Oh Jesus yes. But there's no shortage of insufferable douchebag prelaws.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:23 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:

Credited. After the switch I made an effort to actively avoid other pre-laws. I did take a pre-law writing course though which was pretty awful. Everyone just wanted to give dramatic speeches. These same people are now at Barry Law.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 am

rman1201 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:

Credited. After the switch I made an effort to actively avoid other pre-laws. I did take a pre-law writing course though which was pretty awful. Everyone just wanted to give dramatic speeches. These same people are now at Barry Law.
Took an undergrad law class, and we had a class with a mock jury selection, and some people got to be the "Prosecutors" and some the "Defense." Oh. My. God. If I ever had to play Bruce Banner in a film, I would channel that rage.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:34 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:

Took an undergrad law class, and we had a class with a mock jury selection, and some people got to be the "Prosecutors" and some the "Defense." Oh. My. God. If I ever had to play Bruce Banner in a film, I would channel that rage.

We had to do a mock trial with Defense and Prosecutors too. My group's stupidity annoyed me so I eventually quit participating, I still got a B+ (would have been an A if not for attendence - stupid class).

SoupIsGoodFood

New

Post by SoupIsGoodFood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:03 pm

3.9 in Biochem + blood/gut avoidance = Dental School

Get your DDS in four years. No residency or post-doc programs required.

Open up a practice in a high-growth suburb with lots of families with children.

Spend four (not five) days a week not dealing with blood and guts (okay, a small amount of blood every now and then) or insurance companies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Go to dental school. Residency is optional. Way, way less blood and guts than any medical profession other than maybe psychiatry, and dentists make more money than a good percentage of doctors and work fewer hours.

My husband is graduating from med school in a few weeks. He regrets not going to dental school, because although he's getting the highly competitive residency of his dreams which will bring in money and make him happy, he has to do a residency! He tells everybody to go to dental school. Seriously.

You can work 4 days a week and make plenty of money to do whatever you want the other 3 days.

Dental school FTW!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:11 pm

SoupIsGoodFood wrote:3.9 in Biochem + blood/gut avoidance = Dental School

Spend four (not five) days a week not dealing with blood and guts (okay, a small amount of blood every now and then) or insurance companies.
cittykitty wrote:Go to dental school. Residency is optional. Way, way less blood and guts than any medical profession other than maybe psychiatry, and dentists make more money than a good percentage of doctors and work fewer hours.

My husband is graduating from med school in a few weeks. He regrets not going to dental school, because although he's getting the highly competitive residency of his dreams which will bring in money and make him happy, he has to do a residency! He tells everybody to go to dental school. Seriously.

You can work 4 days a week and make plenty of money to do whatever you want the other 3 days.

Dental school FTW!
There are not jobs just waiting for dental students right out of school, unlike all med school graduates, who as a rule can get residencies. Think about it, how is this any different than suggesting that a law school grad just open up a solo practice in a "high growth suburb" and rake in the dough? The grass is not always greener. Dental school costs $200k just like law school, and even if you did have the capital to open a dental office right out of school, who is going to run to a brand new dentist?

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Wholigan wrote:

cittykitty wrote:Go to dental school. Residency is optional. Way, way less blood and guts than any medical profession other than maybe psychiatry, and dentists make more money than a good percentage of doctors and work fewer hours.

Dental school FTW!
There are not jobs just waiting for dental students right out of school, unlike all med school graduates, who as a rule can get residencies. Think about it, how is this any different than suggesting that a law school grad just open up a solo practice in a "high growth suburb" and rake in the dough? The grass is not always greener. Dental school costs $200k just like law school, and even if you did have the capital to open a dental office right out of school, who is going to run to a brand new dentist?
Many graduates are hired by small offices. There are solo practitioners, and there are multi-partner practices in high volume areas that hire associates. But yes, only a fool would graduate dental school and expect a cush 200k gig waiting for them. Smart dental students gun for the residencies.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:57 pm

If you can raise the capital for a dental practice right after graduation, and on top of 200k in loans, you shouldn't be a dentist, you should be a fucking magician.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 pm

citykitty wrote:Go to dental school. Residency is optional. Way, way less blood and guts than any medical profession other than maybe psychiatry, and dentists make more money than a good percentage of doctors and work fewer hours.

Dental school FTW!
No. Not dental school ftw. Call me cynical, but I always snort when a med school graduate/doctor says that I "should go to dental school." Grass is greener and all that. Not as easy as it's made out to be. If you want advice on whether you should go to dental school, talk to ACTUAL DENTISTS, not bitter, delusional medical residents.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

Dental school FTW!
Many graduates are hired by small offices. There are solo practitioners, and there are multi-partner practices in high volume areas that hire associates. But yes, only a fool would graduate dental school and expect a cush 200k gig waiting for them. Smart dental students gun for the residencies.
Exactly. I was just talking to my dentist two weeks ago about law school vs. dental school. He said if he was getting out of college today, there is no way he would go to dental school, even though he loves his job. He was saying that a lot of dental school grads are coming out with $200k debt and are being hired by small dental offices at $20-$30/hr. Sounds kind of like their equivalent of doc review, except maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel for them after a few years. People just always seem to think the grass is greener elsewhere.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Lawyers wish they were Doctors, Doctors wish they were Dentists, and Dentists wish they were Lawyers.

There is no golden road to riches, just do what it is you really want to do and push forward even though there will always be plenty to tell you its a bad choice and you should pick x career instead - but really every career path has it's faults, whether it be low pay, high stress, high unemployment, whatever. Stop being so risk averse and just go for it, just don't do it for a stupid reason (or in a stupid way - sticker at a T4)

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:10 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
citykitty wrote:Go to dental school. Residency is optional. Way, way less blood and guts than any medical profession other than maybe psychiatry, and dentists make more money than a good percentage of doctors and work fewer hours.

Dental school FTW!
No. Not dental school ftw. Call me cynical, but I always snort when a med school graduate/doctor says that I "should go to dental school." Grass is greener and all that. Not as easy as it's made out to be. If you want advice on whether you should go to dental school, talk to ACTUAL DENTISTS, not bitter, delusional medical residents.

Eh, maybe it's that grass is always greener phenomenon. But, my husband knows several dentists and none of them regret their decision. Dental school was easier to get into, less stressful, and the payoff comes sooner.

My husband is going into dermatology, which is a great field, but even he says he'd rather be a dentist.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”