Transferring - SMU to Texas Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lokist86

New

Transferring - SMU to Texas

Post by lokist86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 am

As the subject implies, how hard do you guys think it will be for an SMU student to transfer into Texas after his 1L year? Do you think it's worth it? Thoughts please! :)

Rule11

Bronze

Re: Transferring - SMU to Texas

Post by Rule11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 am

Just do as well as you can. What are your grades so far?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am

Supposedly, and a UT student will better be able to answer this than I can, but UT doesn't typically take a lot of transfers absent extenuating circumstances that present a real need for the person to be in Austin (family stuff, etc).

lokist86

New

Post by lokist86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 am

I'm still a 0L, so it's a quite some time before it actually matters to me. However, I've been informed that a UT Law student has a substantial boost in career opportunity in Texas over SMU and UH students. After being rejected from UT, I figured SMU would be a strong runner-up, but I'm curious as to whether or not it's worthwhile to transfer after 1L year.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 am

Not hard if you are at the very top. I personally know two who have done this in the last three years (I'm sure there are many more). One was top 5% after 1L; I don't know what the other person's rank was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xyzbca

Bronze

Post by xyzbca » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:29 am

Are job prospects at SMU really that bad that as top 5% you need to transfer to UT for better job prospects? NLJ250 numbers were reasonable for SMU.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

xyzbca wrote:Are job prospects at SMU really that bad that as top 5% you need to transfer to UT for better job prospects? NLJ250 numbers were reasonable for SMU.

No, unless you want to work outside of Texas.

lokist86

New

Post by lokist86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 am

^ right, and that's kind of what I want to know as well. If I'm top 5-10% in SMU and I have absolutely no qualms about staying in Texas to work, then transferring really doesn't mean that much aside from a better name on your resume, correct? SMU still has legit standing amongst Houston/Dallas/Austin, right?

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

lokist86 wrote:^ right, and that's kind of what I want to know as well. If I'm top 5-10% in SMU and I have absolutely no qualms about staying in Texas to work, then transferring really doesn't mean that much aside from a better name on your resume, correct? SMU still has legit standing amongst Houston/Dallas/Austin, right?

It's still legit, but unless you have a scholarship at SMU you may as well consider transferring to UT. But don't plan on being at the top of your class, because you most likely won't be. If you do end up in the top 10%, then you should start considering transfer options.

lokist86

New

Post by lokist86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:05 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:
lokist86 wrote:^ right, and that's kind of what I want to know as well. If I'm top 5-10% in SMU and I have absolutely no qualms about staying in Texas to work, then transferring really doesn't mean that much aside from a better name on your resume, correct? SMU still has legit standing amongst Houston/Dallas/Austin, right?

It's still legit, but unless you have a scholarship at SMU you may as well consider transferring to UT. But don't plan on being at the top of your class, because you most likely won't be. If you do end up in the top 10%, then you should start considering transfer options.
Lol, thanks for the vote of confidence, holdencaulfield!! =P Just kidding, I know the odds are against me. SMU has been very generous with their scholarship (>50% of tuition paid for). Though, you're right, it's still too early to consider transferring when I haven't even gotten any grades yet. I just wanted to poll all the TLSers out there to see if a law student graduating from SMU or Texas would really make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”