Waitlist Question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
zjs4

New

Waitlist Question

Post by zjs4 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm curious as to how waitlisting affects the admissions process when late april rolls around and other schools are accepting first deposits and such. If I'm waitlisted at School A, and School A is my number one school, but late april comes around and i'm starting to get nervous, what should I do? If I put my first deposit/accept the offer from School B, is that binding? I'm asking because if late april rolls around and I'm still on the waitlist, which I probably will be, I'm not sure what I will do. The school I'm waitlisted at is my number one school and I would go in a heartbeat, but If I don't get taken off the waitlist and I don't accept an offer from another school I'm kind of screwed. Are you allowed to accept an offer, and then if you hear back from a waitlist school in, say, July, rescind that acceptance?

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Waitlist Question

Post by tourdeforcex » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:55 pm

If I'm waitlisted at School A, and School A is my number one school, but late april comes around and i'm starting to get nervous, what should I do?
send deposit for School B
If I put my first deposit/accept the offer from School B, is that binding?
binding? i don't think so. you're just keeping your seat. if you don't send in second deposit or tuition, then you're free
Are you allowed to accept an offer, and then if you hear back from a waitlist school in, say, July, rescind that acceptance?
you're not really "accepting an offer" you're sending a deposit to substantiate interest in going to that school.

hope this helps.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm

^^^ Agreed. however, be careful when reading the fine print on the seat deposit information. Some schools state that "By paying this deposit, you are withdrawing all applications to other institutions." It's rare, but something you should watch out for. Otherwise, if it's not explicitly stated, you can deposit at every school in the country

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 pm

similar question: I was waitlisted after applying ED to UCLA. I want to send a LOCI, but I'm having trouble finding some examples to formulate mine off of. Suggestions?

Also, I'm still waiting back from USC (I went complete in November). Should I send them a LOCI, too?

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm

dswimmer

i'm also wait-listed and have been curious about this. i think you should just write what you think while including:
1) i love your school 2) i am very interested 3) i am particularly interested b/c of X, Y, Z 4) i hear amazing stuff about your school 5) since applying to your school, i have done these baller things: A, B, C 6) i learned these lessons. 7) please accept me, please. 8) seriously, please. i will do amazing things.

not sure about USC. i wouldn't send a LOCI until i hear a decision. then again, it's getting late. some schools are asking for first deposits in early april. i bet you'll hear back w/in the next couple weeks. if not, send away!

hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:56 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:dswimmer

i'm also wait-listed and have been curious about this. i think you should just write what you think while including:
1) i love your school 2) i am very interested 3) i am particularly interested b/c of X, Y, Z 4) i hear amazing stuff about your school 5) since applying to your school, i have done these baller things: A, B, C 6) i learned these lessons. 7) please accept me, please. 8) seriously, please. i will do amazing things.

not sure about USC. i wouldn't send a LOCI until i hear a decision. then again, it's getting late. some schools are asking for first deposits in early april. i bet you'll hear back w/in the next couple weeks. if not, send away!

hope this helps.
It does. Thanks. Also, I found this thread that was very helpful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=27169. Enjoy!

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 pm

ty

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 am

New waitlist question -

If I am on a waitlist, do I let the school know that I am taking the June LSAT in the hopes that my better score will get me in? Or is it best practice to not tell them until I actually submit the new score?

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 pm

iowalum,

haven't heard your question before. the thing is, taking the june LSAT puts you in the next application cycle. for admission for class of 2015. not class of 2014. am i right here?

but to your question, i'm not sure if it will help w/ you getting in. from what i understand waitlist is more dependent on yield. if fewer accepted students send deposits then, they'll pull from waitlist, then there's a chance. if not, then maybe apply next cycle w/ better numbers and maybe w/ more work experience.

hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”