Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LSHopeful2

New

Re: Is there really a degree that prepares your for law school?

Post by LSHopeful2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 am

What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Um, i was poli-sci, my friend. what is your little generator in reference to. you know damn well that business management is recruitable. Shit.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:38 am

Why the fuck is everyone so mad in this thread?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:Honestly, for fucks sake, I second what he said earlier. Unfortunately, being the "well-rounded" major that poli sci or philosophy or even history for that matter is, you don't get shit when you graduate. The majors train your mind and make you think, but for fucks sake, job prospects are absolutely ZERO when you graduate for these majors! Your option is either top law school..what else can we liberal arts folks get?! Nothing! Fuck. Business, engineering, computer science on the other hand, are well recruiting majors.
Wrong. Late to the party. See earlier post: Liberal arts majors (from top end schools) secure the best jobs straight out of college at companies like Google, Bain, Apple, IBM,...That's what sparked the whole argument earlier.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:What the fuck is this supposed to mean? Um, i was poli-sci, my friend. what is your little generator in reference to. you know damn well that business management is recruitable. Shit.
You wanna be a salesman?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Hank Chill wrote:I always hear that English Lit and Philosophy are good majors that prep future law students. Criminal Justice is usually considered a poor degree for law school. Is this bullshit or no?
Not true. It's just that most criminal justice students are fucking idiots.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
LSHopeful2 wrote:Honestly, for fucks sake, I second what he said earlier. Unfortunately, being the "well-rounded" major that poli sci or philosophy or even history for that matter is, you don't get shit when you graduate. The majors train your mind and make you think, but for fucks sake, job prospects are absolutely ZERO when you graduate for these majors! Your option is either top law school..what else can we liberal arts folks get?! Nothing! Fuck. Business, engineering, computer science on the other hand, are well recruiting majors.
Wrong. Late to the party. See earlier post: Liberal arts majors (from top end schools) secure the best jobs straight out of college at companies like Google, Bain, Apple, IBM,...That's what sparked the whole argument earlier.
Chill man, Top Liberal Arts colleges are the exception, we both agree to that. But in the context of the thread we weren't talking about that, which is why it was just so obscure for you to come out of nowhere with "hahahahahahaah yeahhhh Lib Arts majors from Williams dont get jobs???!?!?!?". That can apply to anything - we can talk about how poor prospects Cooley Law Grads have, and the equivalent of your argument would be for someone to chime in with "Wanna tell that to my buddy, #1 at Cooley law who has a BigLaw job?!?!?!?!".
I apologize for not having Top Lib Arts colleges on my radar, for fucks sake, I dont even think we have a decent one in Florida (New College? Not great, but all I know).
You don't have to throw out personal insults though - Yeah Psych was an easy major, which is why my major GPA is 3.8.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:47 pm

rman1201 wrote: Chill man, Top Liberal Arts colleges are the exception, we both agree to that. But in the context of the thread we weren't talking about that, which is why it was just so obscure for you to come out of nowhere with "hahahahahahaah yeahhhh Lib Arts majors from Williams dont get jobs???!?!?!?". That can apply to anything - we can talk about how poor prospects Cooley Law Grads have, and the equivalent of your argument would be for someone to chime in with "Wanna tell that to my buddy, #1 at Cooley law who has a BigLaw job?!?!?!?!".
I apologize for not having Top Lib Arts colleges on my radar, for fucks sake, I dont even think we have a decent one in Florida (New College? Not great, but all I know).
You don't have to throw out personal insults though - Yeah Psych was an easy major, which is why my major GPA is 3.8.
I only throw out insults after having been insulted myself. I've already said this, and you insulted me with the "logic fail" line. Sorry if my insults sting more. And please don't use bad analogies. Your Cooley law example is not at all equivalent to what I've done here. You were not simply discussing the poor prospects of liberal arts majors. Instead you made sweeping statements to the effect that the liberal arts are unmarketable. The proper analogy given your terms is you saying "No Cooley Grads get jobs", and then I reply with "Actually some do get jobs". Like I've said before, whether or not lib arts majors get jobs is a question of fact, and all I was asking you to do is get your facts straight.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote: Chill man, Top Liberal Arts colleges are the exception, we both agree to that. But in the context of the thread we weren't talking about that, which is why it was just so obscure for you to come out of nowhere with "hahahahahahaah yeahhhh Lib Arts majors from Williams dont get jobs???!?!?!?". That can apply to anything - we can talk about how poor prospects Cooley Law Grads have, and the equivalent of your argument would be for someone to chime in with "Wanna tell that to my buddy, #1 at Cooley law who has a BigLaw job?!?!?!?!".
I only throw out insults after having been insulted myself. I've already said this, and you insulted me with the "logic fail" line. Sorry if my insults sting more. And please don't use bad analogies. Your Cooley law example is not at all equivalent to what I've done here. You were not simply discussing the poor prospects of liberal arts majors. Instead you made sweeping statements to the effect that the liberal arts are unmarketable. The proper analogy given your terms is you saying "No Cooley Grads get jobs", and then I reply with "Actually some do get jobs". Like I've said before, whether or not lib arts majors get jobs is a question of fact, and all I was asking you to do is get your facts straight.
They didn't 'sting more', your insults were disregarding what I said and attacking my personal info. It's acceptable to call someone an idiot for saying idiotic things, but that's not entirely what happened.
Again, read for context. How many threads have you seen where the discussion is "Liberal arts majors don't get jobs*

*except from top liberal arts colleges, they may fare a better shot at a job."

That's where context comes in. Every single person here except you seems to grasp the basic assumption that we are talking about average schools. Yes, grads from top liberal arts colleges or liberal arts majors coming from HYP probably have jobs.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

rman1201 wrote: They didn't 'sting more', your insults were disregarding what I said and attacking my personal info. It's acceptable to call someone an idiot for saying idiotic things, but that's not entirely what happened.
Again, read for context. How many threads have you seen where the discussion is "Liberal arts majors don't get jobs*

*except from top liberal arts colleges, they may fare a better shot at a job."

That's where context comes in. Every single person here except you seems to grasp the basic assumption that we are talking about average schools. Yes, grads from top liberal arts colleges or liberal arts majors coming from HYP probably have jobs.
That's exactly what happened and continues to happen. Seriously, go back and re-read the first 20 posts or so in this discussion. Instead of reading for context try reading what you and they actually said. Two Prime examples:

"Talking out their assholes in seminars and doing the reading the night before a paper's due, like everyone else in the liberal arts?" -Pomas
"The best degree would be a non-liberal arts degree with career possibilities so you aren't forced to go to law school at graduation if you change your mind last minute." -You, Rman

Please provide the context to these statements. Pomas outright says that everyone in the liberal arts talks out their assholes. You suggest that liberal arts majors have zero job prospects and therefore must go on to grad school. Now I realize that these statements were made partly in jest, but why should I let you get away with making such stupid claims? I don't think it's mean and I know I'm not missing anything. You guys were just wrong, that's the bottom line.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:32 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed.
3) I think you're an idiot.
4) You think I'm an idiot.
And call it a day.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 pm

rman1201 wrote: Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall. AGREE/Hit that wall a long time ago.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok. MODERATE AGREE/They fare better than just ok, in fact they do better than all other college grads anywhere regardless of major or university. But a lot of this has to do with connections and networking advantages of small colleges, so I accept.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed. EH, OK AGREE
3) I think you're an idiot. DISAGREE/In truth we've agreed about many things in other treads (Emory's pure numbers admissions for example). So not only am I not an idiot but in many circumstances you've concurred with me.
4) You think I'm an idiot. AGREE Sorry, but you went to school with Joakim Noah.
And call it a day.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
rman1201 wrote: Seriously, I think we've hit a brick wall. AGREE/Hit that wall a long time ago.
Lets just agree that:
1) Yes, lib arts majors from top schools fare ok. MODERATE AGREE/They fare better than just ok, in fact they do better than all other college grads anywhere regardless of major or university. But a lot of this has to do with connections and networking advantages of small colleges, so I accept.
2) When applied to the majority of universities/colleges, liberal arts majors are screwed. EH, OK AGREE
3) I think you're an idiot. DISAGREE/In truth we've agreed about many things in other treads (Emory's pure numbers admissions for example). So not only am I not an idiot but in many circumstances you've concurred with me.
4) You think I'm an idiot. AGREE Sorry, but you went to school with Joakim Noah.
And call it a day.
Close enough.

/thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Lets just agree that:
And call it a day.
--ImageRemoved--

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Did anyone say LLB yet? :wink:

LSHopeful2

New

Post by LSHopeful2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 pm

For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.
Fuck.

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm

LSHopeful2 wrote:For fucks sake, sure, lib arts majors from Princeton or harvard Do have a good chance at jobs, but those of us from the UC system don't! No shit companies go after the pedigree which is the norm at wall street. I'm not dosputig that. What I'm disputing is the claim that ALL liberal arts folks have excellent prospects as do any other major. Wrong! Again, business, engineering, comp sci do , an as long as you fucking get the degree, engineering or other firms will hire you. Not the case with Poli sci or philosophy! So you ARE wrong when you Said that. SOME liberal arts folks at Princeton or harvard will fare well, The rest of us have to either fucking apply to bull shit law school or go get a Fucking accounting certificate at southside fucking community college to be recruitable, despite having our UC BA. Fuck.
I may be wrong about cream of the crop (HYP), but I do know a guy with a decent credentials that graduated from U of C with PoliSci major and OK GPA (around 3.5). He wanted to go to law school but did horribly on LSAT and now is teaching high school. While my other friend who graduated from Arizona State with a degree in biomedical engineering (around 3.5 GPA) got a job that pays 6-figure salary in his third year out of school. I know TLS people hate anecdotes and prefer stats, but, I still decided to throw in a story from personal experience.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am

bjsesq wrote:--ImageRemoved--
+1 for the Dulé Hill/Psych gif

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

Cade McNown wrote:
Lets just agree that:
And call it a day.
LOLLLL at this thread. Seriously though dude how can you disagree with the fact that he thinks you're an idiot? Surely he's the only authority on that. And also, dogging on him for where he went to undergrad? Petty. They shoulda taught you a little humility at that top 10 liberal arts school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 am

econ... a lot of the principles in law are based on economic theories.

RaiderInBlue47

New

Post by RaiderInBlue47 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

My whole purpose in undergrad is to find a fallback in something I'm interested in that's also quirky and sounds intelligent. Things just kinda worked out perfectly. Yay Aerospace!

</irrelevantbanter>

I guess what I'm trying to say is that any pre-law should find something they can get a decent job in. There aren't many Political Science factories around my parts. Minor in that shit, bruh.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 am

albusdumbledore wrote: LOLLLL at this thread. Seriously though dude how can you disagree with the fact that he thinks you're an idiot? Surely he's the only authority on that. And also, dogging on him for where he went to undergrad? Petty. They shoulda taught you a little humility at that top 10 liberal arts school.
That disagree was a joke. And to be fair I dogged on him for his major and his UG school, both of which I think are decent responses to an insult. What am I supposed to be a nice guy when calling someone out for being a moron? Please. TLS is all about trading low blows for low blows, so if you can't hack it then GTFO.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
I may be wrong about cream of the crop (HYP), but I do know a guy with a decent credentials that graduated from U of C with PoliSci major and OK GPA (around 3.5). He wanted to go to law school but did horribly on LSAT and now is teaching high school. While my other friend who graduated from Arizona State with a degree in biomedical engineering (around 3.5 GPA) got a job that pays 6-figure salary in his third year out of school. I know TLS people hate anecdotes and prefer stats, but, I still decided to throw in a story from personal experience.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be proving? Biomedical engineers will always make more than high school teachers. But, if you go to a top school you have a better possibility of making more money in your field than at a state school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”