Constitutional Law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
90LawSchool

New

Constitutional Law

Post by 90LawSchool » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:22 pm

As part of my undergrad requirements, I took a Constitutional Law course which was very interesting to me. I am seriously considering a specialization/concentration (I don't know which would be the correct term) in Constitutional Law. What sort of job opportunities would I have after law school if I practiced Constitutional Law?

The other area of law that I would be interested in is appellate law. Would practicing appellate law be possible with a concentration in Con Law? Can you get a job in appellate law out of law school?

Thank you in advance!

dakatz

Gold

Re: Constitutional Law

Post by dakatz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm

There really is none. Maybe some tiny fraction of 1% of lawyers actually argue constitutional issues. Its more of a classroom/philosophical thing rather than a real world practice. I'd switch up my goals if I were you.

InLikeFlint

Bronze

Post by InLikeFlint » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:29 pm

90LawSchool wrote:As part of my undergrad requirements, I took a Constitutional Law course which was very interesting to me. I am seriously considering a specialization/concentration (I don't know which would be the correct term) in Constitutional Law. What sort of job opportunities would I have after law school if I practiced Constitutional Law?

The other area of law that I would be interested in is appellate law. Would practicing appellate law be possible with a concentration in Con Law? Can you get a job in appellate law out of law school?

Thank you in advance!
There are a decent number of entry level jobs in international con law. Somewhat competitive, but by no means impossible to land.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:There are a decent number of entry level jobs in international con law. Somewhat competitive, but by no means impossible to land.
Tell me what those are.
90LawSchool wrote:As part of my undergrad requirements, I took a Constitutional Law course which was very interesting to me. I am seriously considering a specialization/concentration (I don't know which would be the correct term) in Constitutional Law. What sort of job opportunities would I have after law school if I practiced Constitutional Law?

Thank you in advance!
You have a lot of research to do about what practicing law is like. There aren't really "concentrations" in law school; it isn't like choosing a major. Sure, you can take some classes to make yourself more marketable, but you don't come out of law school and just say "I'm a constitutional lawyer!" The primary division is litigation/transactional (if you go private). The number of lawyers who do work like what you seem to be interested in is very, very tiny. What do you mean when you say "constitutional law?"

But the practice of law is nothing like what you are taking in undergrad. Not even remotely similar.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
InLikeFlint wrote:There are a decent number of entry level jobs in international con law. Somewhat competitive, but by no means impossible to land.
Tell me what those are.
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:24 pm

OP, getting into the con law field is not that difficult. Just go to Harvard in the 70's and i'm sure something'll come up.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:OP, getting into the con law field is not that difficult. Just go to Harvard in the 70's and i'm sure something'll come up.
Love it.

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Well thanks for your replies. It seems that I wasn't very clear in my original post and that it is very difficult to get a job dealing with Constitutional Law.

I do understand that an undergrad Constitutional Law class would be very different from a class in law school but I just really enjoyed the material we covered.

So I guess my other question would be is it possible to practice as a appellate attorney out of law school or is this also out of the question?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:48 pm

90LawSchool wrote:So I guess my other question would be is it possible to practice as a appellate attorney out of law school or is this also out of the question?
Most lawyers practicing at the appellate level are experienced lawyers at government agencies (like the Attorney General) or private firms. In either case, you are going to have to pay your dues and put in a lot of time before you get to try a case at that level. I guess I'm still not sure exactly what you're looking to do, but I think it is pretty clear you need to talk to some lawyers and hang around TLS some more to get a better idea of what you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:55 pm

90LawSchool wrote:Well thanks for your replies. It seems that I wasn't very clear in my original post and that it is very difficult to get a job dealing with Constitutional Law.

I do understand that an undergrad Constitutional Law class would be very different from a class in law school but I just really enjoyed the material we covered.
So I guess my other question would be is it possible to practice as a appellate attorney out of law school or is this also out of the question?
I would assume one of the typical ways would be: Go to a high ranked school, get great grades, get on LR, build good relationships with professors, and try to get a COA clerkship, and then go to a biglaw firm that does a lot of appellate work. That or work your way up at the biglaw firm that you're at. Either way, it seems like a difficult thing to accomplish. I'm really just throwing out guesses here though.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:OP, getting into the con law field is not that difficult. Just go to Harvard in the 70's and i'm sure something'll come up.
Love it.

+1

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
90LawSchool wrote:Well thanks for your replies. It seems that I wasn't very clear in my original post and that it is very difficult to get a job dealing with Constitutional Law.

I would assume one of the typical ways would be: Go to a high ranked school, get great grades, get on LR, build good relationships with professors, and try to get a COA clerkship, and then go to a biglaw firm that does a lot of appellate work. That or work your way up at the biglaw firm that you're at. Either way, it seems like a difficult thing to accomplish. I'm really just throwing out guesses here though.
I know someone just out of law school (class of 2010) doing appellate work for a district attorneys office; again, the exception rather than the rule (he had the grades to summer at biglaw), but something to look into.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 am

dakatz wrote:There really is none. Maybe some tiny fraction of 1% of lawyers actually argue constitutional issues. Its more of a classroom/philosophical thing rather than a real world practice. I'd switch up my goals if I were you.
Not to be a smart ass, but virtually every prosecutor/criminal defense attorney will argue constitutional issues on a weekly, if not daily basis. Generally the basis of every motion to suppress is a 4th amendment violation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
90LawSchool wrote:So I guess my other question would be is it possible to practice as a appellate attorney out of law school or is this also out of the question?
Most lawyers practicing at the appellate level are experienced lawyers at government agencies (like the Attorney General) or private firms. In either case, you are going to have to pay your dues and put in a lot of time before you get to try a case at that level. I guess I'm still not sure exactly what you're looking to do, but I think it is pretty clear you need to talk to some lawyers and hang around TLS some more to get a better idea of what you want.
This is mostly true, but it can be possible to do appellate work right away if you're willing to work for a public defender's appellate division in a rural or generally undesirable area.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Not to be a smart ass, but virtually every prosecutor/criminal defense attorney will argue constitutional issues on a weekly, if not daily basis. Generally the basis of every motion to suppress is a 4th amendment violation.
Sure, but that's not what 0L's usually think of when they discuss wanting to practice constitutional law. For all practical purposes, constitutional law as most 0Ls envision it does not exist or is limited to an extremely tiny handful of practitioners with elite credentials.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:22 pm

nealric wrote:
Sure, but that's not what 0L's usually think of when they discuss wanting to practice constitutional law. For all practical purposes, constitutional law as most 0Ls envision it does not exist or is limited to an extremely tiny handful of practitioners with elite credentials.
THIS. People want to argue about gay marriage, not Terry stops.
InLikeFlint wrote: There are a decent number of entry level jobs in international con law. Somewhat competitive, but by no means impossible to land.
lololololololololololol I hope you trollin dog

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:29 am

nealric wrote:
I almost applied to a firm that claime to specialized in con law. Then I looked at the schools their lawyers went to (Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Harvard, Chicago, Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, Yale, Chicago, Columbia, etc. etc.). I then lol'd at myself for being such an idiot, and went back to applying to the Bumfuck County State's Attorney's office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 am

OP, Please watch this. You'll see why about 30 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 am

lawloser22 wrote:OP, Please watch this. You'll see why about 30 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE
Hey bro, I covered that base about 2 days ago.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
nealric wrote:
I almost applied to a firm that claime to specialized in con law. Then I looked at the schools their lawyers went to (Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Harvard, Chicago, Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, Yale, Chicago, Columbia, etc. etc.). I then lol'd at myself for being such an idiot, and went back to applying to the Bumfuck County State's Attorney's office.

Sounds like they need diversity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”