History Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
topgun206

New

History

Post by topgun206 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Deleted Post
Last edited by topgun206 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Silver

Re: Criminal History

Post by cubswin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

At the very least, I think you should probably disclose it to the schools that have the really intense C&F questions. Some of them say things like "Even if it's been expunged, even if you were a juvenile, etc."

topgun206

New

Post by topgun206 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm

cubswin wrote:At the very least, I think you should probably disclose it to the schools that have the really intense C&F questions. Some of them say things like "Even if it's been expunged, even if you were a juvenile, etc."

I completely agree. I hope you can tell I want to do the right thing. I am just afraid to call a school and say, "Thanks for the acceptance.. BTW, I had a DWI when I was 17..."

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Depends entirely on the wording of the questions. Some don't want to know about juvenile crimes, some do, but only if adjudicated as an adult, some want all arrests, some want only criminal convictions.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Non-disclosure can hurt a lot more than the incident itself, especially when the bar C&F committee reveals it. And they probably will- even if it's sealed.

As to what to do, you might want to call the admissions offices and be rather honest- where the questions weren't clear you could say something like that you were operating under the impression that you didn't need to disclose because you had been a minor, that you recently realized that you may have needed to disclose, and wanted to clarify things with the school because you want to be absolutely honest and forthright.

They might just tell you to forget it, they might ask for more info, they might say they need to reconsider your app, or they might rescind your acceptance.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 pm

just call them and disclose it. Explain what happened - but leave out all the crud about your attorney who's now a local judge. This is just a mea culpa situation.

Also, they aren't going to rescind an acceptance over this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”