Submit now or wait and perfect applications? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
QRider

New

Submit now or wait and perfect applications?

Post by QRider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey

I am waiting on my December score and have signed up to retake in Feb. in case I do poorly which I believe is the case. If my score is 5 points less than my average pt scores I will have a slim to no chance of getting into my reach/target schools.

The main parts of my applications are complete like the LORs and PS. But I could still improve my resume and a few other details like honors and extracurricular activities.

So, for these schools that I am referring to does it make more sense to submit now or in a couple weeks. Again I am fairly certain I bombed the LSAT and believe I'll do much better in Feb.

I know that I can always submit them and once the Dec. score is released, I can request my application be put on hold until the Feb test if I did poorly. But considering the schools may already be a stretch, it might make more sense to spend a little more time on my applications...

In case it matters: I'm referring to NSU and FIU. - out of undergrad 5 years with a 2.87 gpa. Practice test range 153-156.

Thanks.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Submit now or wait and perfect applications?

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Wait until next cycle. Put as much time into studying as can, don't rush your LSAT prep.

QRider

New

Post by QRider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

I had a feeling that was going to happen. I would rather not wait for various reasons.

According to the lawschoolpredictor.com, with a 153 and my gpa, NSU would "consider" me for what that is worth. Personally I think I will be able to score that in February (hopefully higher) and although I know it is not the most important factor, my softs are pretty decent. So with this new info, I ask you all to please refer to my OP and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm

QRider wrote:I had a feeling that was going to happen. I would rather not wait for various reasons.
Unless your various reasons include a gun pointed to your head or other life and death scenarios, taking a year off and getting a better LSAT is going to pay off much more in the long run than hastily going to school right now.

QRider

New

Post by QRider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:05 pm

bk187 wrote:
QRider wrote:I had a feeling that was going to happen. I would rather not wait for various reasons.
Unless your various reasons include a gun pointed to your head or other life and death scenarios, taking a year off and getting a better LSAT is going to pay off much more in the long run than hastily going to school right now.
No gun. I just want to make the right decision. What do you mean by hastily going to school right now? I know I could have finished my applications earlier and prepared earlier/better for the LSAT. But if I get into NSU, I believe it is the right time and place for me. And if not, I always have a safety school in St. Thomas.

Do you think that anyone at this point in the application process with a lower than ideal LSAT/GPA for the schools they want to go to (basically a similar situation as me) would also be acting hastily?

Just curious of the reasons behind your comments.

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm saying that the schools that a 150's LSAT will get you in to are generally not schools that are worth going to. The cost is the same as better institutions with much worse job prospects for their graduates. The legal market is tough right now and there is no reason to handicap yourself with a subpar school.

You are given the chance to take the LSAT 3 times in a 2 year span, there is no reason not to shoot for as high as you possibly can. Many people have raised their score from the 150's to the 170's and I'm not going to say this is necessarily possible for everyone, but it is worth at least trying for. A year of waiting and a few hundred dollars and a few hundred hours on LSAT prep is nothing compared to the six figures worth of debt that law school costs, it is time well spent and very minimal in comparison to what you are about to put down.

QRider

New

Post by QRider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm

I guess what it comes down to is: you think if I prepare a lot more for the LSAT I might be able to increase my score to the 170s. In which case, I agree its probably worth it. But honestly I have already taken Kaplan twice... I took the LSAT twice (cancelled the first time) and I believe I bombed it the second time. I'm sure I could have spent more time studying and taken it more seriously, but I did study a lot and my common scores were 153-154; my highest was a 157. If nothing else, the practice and experience has led me to believe that I can probably score consistently in the low 160s, with another year and a lot more practice. That still might not even get me into UM.

So is it worth it to wait an extra year just to see if I can get into the likes of UM? Or maybe, but highly unlikely a score in the 170s? Or does it make more sense in my situation to go to NSU now? Remember I have a 2.87 GPA.

The only other option I see, is if I wait and score high enough for FIU (which, for the purposes of this argument can be compared with NSU --other than price). In that case, economically FIU has to be considered as well as it is much cheaper than NSU and UM.

Also, remember the original post I was interested in the best strategy for getting into NSU. Not questioning if I should go there. But I do appreciate the dialogue.

Thanks.

NYker

New

Post by NYker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 pm

If you don't mind me adding my two cents, if postponing a year is an option that's what I would do. If you're dead set on applying now I would put in the apps ASAP. At this point a few weeks between apps can make a major difference.

As far as taking time off and applying next year, taking the test when you're better prepared may leave you in a much better situation. In addition, being fully prepared for the next application cycle would give you the opportunity to apply as soon as the applications are available, giving you a major leg up with rolling admissions.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Maybe Kaplan wasn't right for you (this is very possible, a lot of people loathe Kaplan). There are a lot of different methods out there and a lot of them do not work for a lot of people.

While you are right that maybe you won't score better on your LSAT or that even if you do you won't get into some place like UMiami, but the upside is huge and the downside is minimal. Waiting a year could get you that better school and the cost of a year really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

A low 160's could get you FSU or UMiami (UMiami accepts almost everybody who scores a 158 LSAT or higher: http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011) and mid 160's would give you a minimal shot at University of Florida. At the very least, if you score better you will get better scholarships to the lower schools. I know you have a low GPA, but it seems like Miami is pretty willing to forgive this for a decent LSAT.

My point is that a year really isn't that big a deal and the chance is most definitely worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QRider

New

Post by QRider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Logically speaking, I could apply to NSU now. I think my chances pretty good. If I get in, I can still make the decision to hold off another year and shoot for UM or UF. Right?

In that case I could still apply to NSU again, right? And see what kind of scholarship I might get.

Thanks.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Apply to NSU TODAY.

I'm not saying you should go there. Or go this year. I think you should wait a year. But your best shot of getting in (which is what you care about the most right now) is to apply ASAP. Sure it would be nice to have a perfect resume, but honestly, it won't matter if there aren't any seats left in the incoming class.

While you are awaiting a decision, read over the threads in this forum, evaluate your options, do your research. Maybe you will decide that attending NSU this fall is the right choice. But you will probably discover that retaking, waiting, and reapplying is a better one.

QRider

New

Post by QRider » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 pm

So you are not just saying this because I keep arguing with everyone, right? It makes sense that I apply now even though I will most likely retake the LSAT in February --based on December score?

And then evaluate my options afterwards.

Thanks.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm

It's like this:

The longer you wait, the less chance you have of getting in. If you wait until february you aren't going to have ANY choices.

APPLY NOW.

Then do you research and make an informed decision. If you keep putting off turning your application in, the decision is going to be made for you (aka rejection).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”