parents Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschool12345

Bronze

parents

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 pm

i see a lot of people make the point to say that they are first generation graduates on their applications, does this impact at all. Neither of my parents attended college, so i was wondering how this is viewed by the admissions people

2011L1

New

Re: parents

Post by 2011L1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:44 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:i see a lot of people make the point to say that they are first generation graduates on their applications, does this impact at all. Neither of my parents attended college, so i was wondering how this is viewed by the admissions people
Depends if you are URM

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:46 pm

im not, but im curious nonetheless

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:52 pm

if you are URM, or maybe even diverse, it looks good for you, like you overcame some shit. If you are white, they don't care.

2011L1

New

Post by 2011L1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:04 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:if you are URM, or maybe even diverse, it looks good for you, like you overcame some shit. If you are white, they don't care.
Basically being the 1st college grad non URM not a big deal. parent's could have been blue collar land owners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm

haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

just interesting to see the differences between w and urm

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:14 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
lawschool12345 wrote:haha very true, but when you keep looking my mom is unemployed and my dad is a bus driver, barely land owners hah

It kind of sucks that it doesn't count if you aren't a URM, because I know as a URM that I have some of the same experiences as non-URMs. My mom is unemployed as well, but a late college graduate (finished when I was 15). But socioeconomic status should hold some weight it seems...
caring about white people is so 1900s. both of my parents are unemployed, and supporting myself through college definitely influenced my GPA especially when all the other kids came from rich families so my excuse being a half hour late because I needed to pay rent did not hold up. if my grades in college were based off exams, i'd have a 3.8, not 3.5. it is what it is. hopefully my kids can just focus on school, but yeah if you're poor and white in america, you are society's dirt. i take a lot of pride in my succeeding despite this.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 pm

justadude55 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

caring about white people is so 1900s. both of my parents are unemployed, and supporting myself through college definitely influenced my GPA especially when all the other kids came from rich families so my excuse being a half hour late because I needed to pay rent did not hold up. if my grades in college were based off exams, i'd have a 3.8, not 3.5. it is what it is. hopefully my kids can just focus on school, but yeah if you're poor and white in america, you are society's dirt. i take a lot of pride in my succeeding despite this.

White or not- did you know everything that your peers knew about life after undergrad? I mean the rich snot peers with lawyer and doctor parents. Despite all my research, I was clueless. Forums like this alleviate some of that- thank goodness. But when I was in high school I assumed college degree= success, no matter what major you chose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 pm

agreed, instead of having my parents money to pay for prep courses and reviews i had to study on my own, and having to work 40 hours a week+school definitely took away from my LSAT studying time, and because of this same reason it is tough to decide if i should even retake knowing i dont have the time to really devote to proper studying.

What are ya gonna do ha

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:agreed, instead of having my parents money to pay for prep courses and reviews i had to study on my own, and having to work 40 hours a week+school definitely took away from my LSAT studying time, and because of this same reason it is tough to decide if i should even retake knowing i dont have the time to really devote to proper studying.

What are ya gonna do ha
Yeah, I know people who nonchalantly mentioned how their parents dropped money on their prep courses and then they decide, Naahhh- law school isn't for me. Omg, if only someone could do that for me. Ugh. I never had that kind of money just floating around- even if I tried to save it.

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm

in all seriousness what are the odds they even look at it anyway lol

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 pm

IDK, on apps that actually ask this 'yes/no' re: first generation college I would think the answer could be considered independently of URM status. Can anyone confirm that this never results in even a minor boost for non-URMs (other than just stating that is the case)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 pm

not sure, wondered the same thing, usually it asked first generation then for your parents occupations, so maybe they take it all into account, but theres really know way to know the applicants actual situation

2011L1

New

Post by 2011L1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:39 pm

JaLeCa wrote:

Not really barely Land owner is a big difference from not being one. And being from a semi privileged URM family still doesn't make you "In the house" when you are looked upon you are still an URM. Not to say we are in Jim Crown south, but historically there have been fewer options. If you doubt the truth to what I am saying take a tour of the law school you want to attend and count the URM's you see there especially males. Good luck Lawschool12345 I wish you success

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm

thanks 2011L1 , appreciate the kind words, i dont have any kind of problem with the curve for URMs at all, just i do believe that their should be a socioeconomic factor as well, cause i know a lot of urms with a lot of money and a lot of oppurtunities

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:thanks 2011L1 , appreciate the kind words, i dont have any kind of problem with the curve for URMs at all, just i do believe that their should be a socioeconomic factor as well, cause i know a lot of urms with a lot of money and a lot of oppurtunities
Agreed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

White or not- did you know everything that your peers knew about life after undergrad? I mean the rich snot peers with lawyer and doctor parents. Despite all my research, I was clueless. Forums like this alleviate some of that- thank goodness. But when I was in high school I assumed college degree= success, no matter what major you chose.
honestly, my peers are clueless about survival in comparison to myself. having to survive and grow, i became a go-getter naturally, just by lack of any other choice. i have a small tutoring company, and give some of those same rich kids part time employment.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 pm

justadude55 wrote:

honestly, my peers are clueless about survival in comparison to myself. having to survive and grow, i became a go-getter naturally, just by lack of any other choice. i have a small tutoring company, and give some of those same rich kids part time employment.

Honestly, I think all rich kids are at a disadvantage when it comes to survival 101.

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 pm

but a huge advantage at LSAT 101 lol, which means a lot more in the eyes of admissions

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 pm

if you can break a 164, you can get a job for Kaplan. then you'll have time to study.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:57 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:but a huge advantage at LSAT 101 lol, which means a lot more in the eyes of admissions

Lol, which isn't going to mean shit when the whole world is scrounging for food. If that's any encouragement.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:01 am

JaLeCa wrote:

200 plus years of slavery + another 100 years or so of what was essentially an apartheid system = an enormous disadvantage. Even to this day, a substantial number of the African-American population in this country have not graduated high school or college, let alone grad school. Most of the people my age from my town are the first generation of their family to graduate high school or college.

It doesn't seem like it when you live it, but there is a huge advantage (psychological and otherwise) that comes with having a member of your family graduate high school or college.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

200 plus years of slavery + another 100 years or so of what was essentially an apartheid system = an enormous disadvantage. Even to this day, a substantial number of the African-American population in this country have not graduated high school or college, let alone grad school. Most of the people my age from my town are the first generation of their family to graduate high school or college.

It doesn't seem like it when you live it, but there is a huge advantage (psychological and otherwise) that comes with having a member of your family graduate high school or college.
that is fair, but the past is the past. we sent the japanese to imprisonment camps, but i don't see them getting law school boosts. still, your point is fair but how to you quantify that? why should black children whose parents are doctors then get an advantage that also goes to black children whose parents never graduated high school? if we're going to do it, let's go off socioeconomic status.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 am

A lot of the higher status blacks don't have the lower status blacks interests at heart, so I agree with the socioeconomic status factor greatly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”